[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PC-Cache

cyang%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Cheng Yang) (04/11/91)

HI! Does anyone know how good PC-Cache (from PC Tools v6.0) is?

Is it better than the SMARTDRV.SYS (for MS-DOS and windows)?

Does Windows 3.0 work with PC-Cache?

Cheng

huffman@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Bill Huffman) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr11.013231.27119@hellgate.utah.edu> cyang%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Cheng Yang) writes:
>HI! Does anyone know how good PC-Cache (from PC Tools v6.0) is?
>
>Is it better than the SMARTDRV.SYS (for MS-DOS and windows)?
>
>Does Windows 3.0 work with PC-Cache?

I couldn't get PC-Cache to work with any RAMDISK, so I switched to
SMARTDRV.

dwebster@cs.arizona.edu (Dave E. Webster, Jr.) (04/12/91)

In article <4541@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> huffman@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Bill Huffman) writes:
=>
=>Does Windows 3.0 work with PC-Cache?

>I couldn't get PC-Cache to work with any RAMDISK, so I switched to
>SMARTDRV.

You may want to recheck your settings.  I am using pc-cache (v 6.0) set with
1MB of cache (in extended memory), a 1MB VDISK.SYS ramdisk (included with
DOS 3.3, also in extended memory), QEMM 5.1, DesqView 386, Windows 3.0, and
a couple of TSR's and I have never had a problem.  PC-CACHE is much faster
than smartdrv, and has a few nice options as well.  Of course, windows 3.0
will not dynamically adjust the RAM size of PC-CACHE like it can with
smartdrv, but I prefer the speed that the large cache gives me anyway.

vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) (04/12/91)

cyang%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Cheng Yang) writes:

> HI! Does anyone know how good PC-Cache (from PC Tools v6.0) is?
>
> Is it better than the SMARTDRV.SYS (for MS-DOS and windows)?
>
> Does Windows 3.0 work with PC-Cache?

I think that PC-Cache is better, since you can use expanded memory
instead of extended.  Smartdrive messes comm programs since it access
extended memory, and you start losing characters because it has to reset
the processor (I think).   And PC-Cache seems to work just fine with
Windows.  It also works well with Desqview.

       _______
      /       \
     |  O   O  |         Victor Limary
    <|    <    |>        mimas!vcl@bbx.basis.com
     |  _____  |
      \   U   /
       "-----"

u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Michael Harlow) (04/13/91)

In <X8V0Z4w163w@mimas.UUCP> vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) writes:

>cyang%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Cheng Yang) writes:

>> HI! Does anyone know how good PC-Cache (from PC Tools v6.0) is?
>>
>> Is it better than the SMARTDRV.SYS (for MS-DOS and windows)?
>>
>> Does Windows 3.0 work with PC-Cache?

>I think that PC-Cache is better, since you can use expanded memory
>instead of extended.  Smartdrive messes comm programs since it access
>extended memory, and you start losing characters because it has to reset
>the processor (I think).   And PC-Cache seems to work just fine with
>Windows.  It also works well with Desqview.

SmartDrv.sys (From windows 3.0) can use EMS, if you add /a to the config line.
(Load your EMS driver first of course)