[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Editors

nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) (04/12/91)

We are looking for an editor to run under HPUX on our HP9000 mini
(more or less to replace vi in mailx and such). So why do I post to
comp.sys.ibm.pc?

Because it would be nice if our users could use the same editor on
their pc's under DOS. Thus emacs are out (too big for some of our
users). We don't need all the functionality of vi and we don't
really need a wordprocessor. I was hoping for something like brief
(perhaps even brief). But it has to look (more or less) the same
under both unix on the mini (run on a, say, vt100 terminal emulator
via kermit) and the pc

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are willing to pay for a
good product but suggestions about pd stuff would also be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Neal Beck

--
Neal Beck
Dept of Politcal Science, UCSD

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (04/13/91)

In article <nbeck.671419830@weber> nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu (Nathaniel Beck) writes:
>We are looking for an editor to run under HPUX on our HP9000 mini
>(more or less to replace vi in mailx and such). So why do I post to
>comp.sys.ibm.pc?
>
>Because it would be nice if our users could use the same editor on
>their pc's under DOS. Thus emacs are out (too big for some of our
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                     But it has to look (more or less) the same
>under both unix on the mini (run on a, say, vt100 terminal emulator
>via kermit) and the pc
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are willing to pay for a
>good product but suggestions about pd stuff would also be
>appreciated.
>
>Neal Beck

Neal,
  Ummmm...I hate to tell you this, but there are SEVERAL versions of emacs that
run just fine under MSDOS (MicroEmacs & Freemacs to name a few - both of which
are very fine PD programs) AND both can be ported to UNIX boxes...The combination
I use is GNU Emacs for my IBM RS/6000 and MicroEmacs for my PC. The nice thing about
MicroEmacs is that it runs just fine on my *ancient* IBM-PC/XT running at 4.77mhz
(yes I still have one of those antiques...:-). There are a couple of minor differences
between GNU & MicroEmacs, but nothing that causes me a problem...If they MUST be
EXACTLY the same, then port MicroEmacs to the mini...also, supposedly freemacs is
a closer clone of GNU emacs, though I don't know, I've never used it.

For more info, take a look at the comp.emacs newsgroup...it will tell you
*everything* you need to know (and then some!).

--John

ps. there are also several VI clones that run on MSDOS boxes...check out comp.editors
    for more info, I don't use VI, I just remember seeing several postings about it...

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt@gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt@cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|