-------------------------
From: gumbyltd@math.berkeley.edu (Dmitry Gokhman)

I've used Norton's SD (speed disk) to do this and can highly
recommend it.

-------------------------
From: mwizard@eecs.ee.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson)

	I use COMPRESS.EXE from the PCTOOLS DELUXE ver 6.0.  Never had
a problem, and probably never will.

-------------------------
From: akm@cs.uoregon.edu

I use DOG (DiskOrganizer), which is shareware, and I think
available on simtel20.

-------------------------
From: w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74]

NOTE: Type B is Binary; Type A is ASCII

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
DCU100.ZIP    B   31081  901022  Delete unwanted files & call backup/defrag pgm
DOG303.ZIP    B   53425  910324  DiskOrGanizer v3.03 disk defragmentizer
DOGREVU.ZIP   B    3700  910324  Review of 'DOG' disk organizer/defragmentizer
REFORM12.ARC  B   24244  870523  Disk defragmenter [Turbo Pas src]
REFORM15.ARC  B   44972  870523  Defragment your hard disk
REFORM16.ARC  B   63973  900303  Disk defragmenter with TurboPascal v5.0 source

-------------------------
From: "TEEMU J. M|TT|NEN" <TMOTTONEN@cc.Helsinki.FI>

    I've been using the Compress program that came with my PC
    Tools package for a couple of years now, and I've been very
    happy with it. No problems, very reliable. And the PC Tools
    package is worth it's price too (You get a shell, some desktop
    utilities, backup software etc.).

-------------------------
From: mjo@ais.org (Mike O'Connor)

Get Optune, by Gazelle Software.  It should be available from the
Simtel-20 archives and/or terminator.cc.umich.edu.  From my
experience, it beats DOG, Mace, and Norton SD.

smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (04/13/91)

In article <10390@pitt.UUCP> jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) writes:
>I received many recommendations for a disk defragmenter.  These include
>SD (Norton), COMPRESS (PCTOOLS DELUX 6.0), DOG (Disk ORganizer,
>shareware), REFORM (shareware), and OPTUNE (Gazelle Software,
>shareware).
>
>I downloaded DOG and OPTUNE.  The DOG documentation warned that it does
>not handle the 32-bit FATs of DOS 4.x.  As this is what I have, I
                               ^^^^^^^
>scratched it from my list...

Hmmmm....  I just downloaded DOG two days ago, and *I* didn't
read anything about incompatibility with DOS 4.x.  In fact,
here are a couple of excerpts from DOG's documentation:

Disk OrGanizer, version 3.01, March 12, 1991

   This is the first public release of Disk OrGanizer version 3.

   This version is compatable with DOS version 4 and 5.

   EMS memory will be used, if available, for large disks.

   Disk OrGanizer will work on drives as large as
   4,095 Megabytes (4,294,180,868 bytes).

        Disk  OrGanizer  has  been  tested with MS-DOS 2.10, 3.01, 3.10,
        3.30, 4.01 and 5.0 on logical drives as large as 600  megabytes.
        It is believed that Disk OrGanizer will operate on any MS/PC-DOS
        disk.

I have DOS 4.01 and a 200 MEG IDE drive, with 3 logical drives (C:,
D:, and E:).  I have not used DOG yet, so SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME
MORE INFO BEFORE I TRASH MY DRIVE with this program.

Steve Smith
smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr12.214311.2063@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:

:Hmmmm....  I just downloaded DOG two days ago, and *I* didn't
:read anything about incompatibility with DOS 4.x.  In fact,
:here are a couple of excerpts from DOG's documentation:
:
:----------------------------------------------------------------------
(we don't need no steenkin' excerpts)
:----------------------------------------------------------------------
:
:I have DOS 4.01 and a 200 MEG IDE drive, with 3 logical drives (C:,
:D:, and E:).  I have not used DOG yet, so SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME
:MORE INFO BEFORE I TRASH MY DRIVE with this program.

Don't worry about DOG -- a new version was very recently uploaded --
the one you are referring to.  The person that was making comments
about DOG was talking about the old DOG.  No, you won't have to teach
the old DOG new tricks...

====
Mike O'Connor <mjo@ais.org>, NIC: MJO17

chau@caen.engin.umich.edu (Hin Fai Chau) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr12.214311.2063@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:
>In article <10390@pitt.UUCP> jonathan@cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) writes:
>Hmmmm....  I just downloaded DOG two days ago, and *I* didn't
>read anything about incompatibility with DOS 4.x.  In fact,
>here are a couple of excerpts from DOG's documentation:

>Disk OrGanizer, version 3.01, March 12, 1991
>
>   This is the first public release of Disk OrGanizer version 3.
>
>   This version is compatable with DOS version 4 and 5.
>
>   EMS memory will be used, if available, for large disks.
>
>   Disk OrGanizer will work on drives as large as
>   4,095 Megabytes (4,294,180,868 bytes).
>
>        Disk  OrGanizer  has  been  tested with MS-DOS 2.10, 3.01, 3.10,
>        3.30, 4.01 and 5.0 on logical drives as large as 600  megabytes.
>        It is believed that Disk OrGanizer will operate on any MS/PC-DOS
>        disk.

>I have DOS 4.01 and a 200 MEG IDE drive, with 3 logical drives (C:,
>D:, and E:).  I have not used DOG yet, so SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME
>MORE INFO BEFORE I TRASH MY DRIVE with this program.

I have DOS 4.01 and a 105 MEG IDE drive.  I used the latest version of
DOG (3.03, 19 March 1991) yesterday without any problems.

Hin-Fai Chau
chau@caen.engin.umich.edu