[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] LOOKING-----For a good multi-tasker

6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Wolf) (04/13/91)

I'm looking for a good multi-tasker to run on 386 series machines.

I'm using my PC for Word Processing, and also for programming.  I'd
like to be able to print my 8-9 page reports in the background
while I go back to my program.  Any Ideas?

Also, I'd like to be able to download files in the background.  If I
have to, I'll download to floppy, but I want to download while I
have a solution to my program typed in.  Tks.

Ken Mencher.

P.S.  If I get enough good answers, I'll compile them into a list and
post it.

6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Eugene Mok (Miramar)) (04/13/91)

6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Wolf) writes:

>I'm looking for a good multi-tasker to run on 386 series machines.

I would have to recommend Desqview 386 from Quarterdeck Office Systems.
It's fast and doesn't take too much memory. It can multitask almost any
DOS application. I usually run Telix downloading in a window, Turbo Pascal
in another and a DOS shell window on standby. It's really good and well
worth the money. Of course the number of programs you can open at a time
will depend on the amount of memory you have. Before I had 4megs of RAM
I used to run Telix and Qedit in another window with no probs at all.
It doesn't have a fancy GUI like some other multitaskers. In fact the windows
are all ASCII graphic character based but it's functional and practical
and doesn't burden your CPU which enhances its multitasking capabilities.
And if you use Windows 3 applications Desqview can run Windows 3 in real
mode in a window.(ummm that's Windows 3 in a Desqview window :) Personally
I haven't tried this since my Win 3 is now sitting on my bookshelf quietly
waiting for the next time I play solitaire.

Unless you use mostly Windows 3 applications then I'd have to say Desqview
is for you.

>I'm using my PC for Word Processing, and also for programming.  I'd
>like to be able to print my 8-9 page reports in the background
>while I go back to my program.  Any Ideas?

I haven't tried printing stuff in the background, I don't have a printer :),
but I don't see any probs in it. There are a couple of shareware print
spoolers around, which are desqview aware. I guess you could run, say,
Wordstar in the background printing out your reports while you grapple
with your C program in another window.

>Also, I'd like to be able to download files in the background.  If I
>have to, I'll download to floppy, but I want to download while I
>have a solution to my program typed in.  Tks.

No probs in that at all. Downloading to HD is better cause when the floppies
are accessed on my 386, everything tends to freeze for a few moments. Having
a disk cache program will improve performance tremendously. I use Hyperdisk
in a 1 meg cache with write cache enabled. (yes dangerous but so far so good)

Well, mail me if you want more details/info. I've got heaps to talk about
Desqview.

--
-----/ _ _ \--------------------------------------------------------------------
     \  ^  /                 eugene@pogo.ai.mit.edu       (USA)
------\ o /---------------------------------------------------------------------

smsmith@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (04/14/91)

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Eugene Mok (Miramar)) writes:
>6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Wolf) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a good multi-tasker to run on 386 series machines.
>
>I would have to recommend Desqview 386 from Quarterdeck Office Systems.
> [deletions]
>And if you use Windows 3 applications Desqview can run Windows 3 in real
>mode in a window.(ummm that's Windows 3 in a Desqview window :) Personally
>I haven't tried this since my Win 3 is now sitting on my bookshelf quietly
>waiting for the next time I play solitaire.

You can run Win 3 in standard mode under Desqview.  Since I only use
Windows for "fun" stuff (solitaire, soundblaster music files,
winfract, paint, viewing .bmp pictures, etc) I use Windows in
standard mode and use Desqview to multitask my dozen other
applications alongside Windows.   It works flawlessly.

If you use mostly DOS apps, and only use a couple of Windows apps,
then RUN (don't walk) to your nearest sto--...to the Computer Shopper
and find Desqview 386 for $110 and buy it!!!

One note about Windows under Desqview:  If you try to run Windows
in a higher resolution than VGA, when you switch out of Windows
then go back into it the screen will be messed up.  All you need
to do then is zoom something full screen then rezoom it back and
you'll get your picture back.  Thus if you like Windows in
800x600 or 1024x768, you can do this but you'll need to refresh
your screen if you exit out of Windows then reenter it.

>Unless you use mostly Windows 3 applications then I'd have to say Desqview
>is for you.

Absolutely.  It's amazing what QEMM and Desqview can do!  The
latest version of Desqview comes with 3 things:

1) QEMM--probably the best expanded memory manager on the market.
2) Manifest--read the recent review in PC Mag.  This is a GREAT
   system analyzer.
3) Desqview--DOS multitasker.

>>Also, I'd like to be able to download files in the background.  If I
>>have to, I'll download to floppy, but I want to download while I
>>have a solution to my program typed in.  Tks.
>
>No probs in that at all...

I agree.  I do this for HOURS every day.  (I just got my computer
6 weeks ago and since I only have a 1200 baud modem it's taking
me a while to get all the .gif files and .snd files I want. :)

To give you an idea of what Desqview can do, here's what I was
doing the other day (note: I have a 386-33 with 4 MEGs RAM):

1) formatting 5.25 floppy in drive a:
2) formatting 3.5 floop in drive b:
3) running a virus check on my hard drive (several thousand files)
4) downloading a binary file from the net
5) running an "open file" program to keep tabs on my files
6) running another app in a foreground window (can't remember which one)

...and I was doing all of these AT THE SAME TIME!  I had them in
different windows, and could easily switch from one to the other,
make them all non-contiguous or overlap one another, or all
full screen...etc., etc.

Steve Smith
smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu