[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Product to Read and/or Write mac disks in a PC

mjl@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Michael J Lewinter) (03/23/91)

I'm looking for a software or hardware/software combination
to be able to at least Read disks prepared in a macintosh.  I do know
that conversion to something that a pc application can use
is another story, but primarily I want to work with wordperfect files.

Michael J. LeWinter                                  mjl@vms.cis.pitt.edu
                                                     mjl@pittvms.bitnet

mhr@ccicpg.UUCP (MHR {who?}) (04/12/91)

In <106375@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, mjl@unix.cis.pitt.edu writes:
> I'm looking for a software or hardware/software combination
> to be able to at least Read disks prepared in a macintosh.  I do know
> that conversion to something that a pc application can use
> is another story, but primarily I want to work with wordperfect files.

> --
> Michael J. LeWinter                                  mjl@vms.cis.pitt.edu
>                                                      mjl@pittvms.bitnet

Central Point Software, in Oregon, markets a product called CopyIIPC,
designed to back-up copy-protected software on floppy disks.  One of the
products they market along with this is a piece of hardware called the
CopyIIPC Option Board, which comes in (I think) two varieties: ordinary
and deluxe.  I forget what the difference between them is, but the board
comes with software that allows you to copy files from  MAC disks to PC
disks.  In fact, you can copy virtually any file or disk from virtually
any floppy to virtually any other (virtual copy heaven! :-).  You can
diskcopy from 5.25" to 3.5", you can read/write MAC and PC format disks,
in fact you can _format_ MAC disks on your PC, etc., etc.

The only thing I can't figure out how to make it do, so far, is copy
from the Commodore 1741 "intelligent" drive format.  Anyone know of a
utility for that?

Regards.

--
Mark A. Hull-Richter    UUCP:     ccicpg!mhr    In all things, restraint,
ICL North America                                 especially with respect

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (04/15/91)

)
)Central Point Software, in Oregon, markets a product called CopyIIPC,
)designed to back-up copy-protected software on floppy disks.  One of the
)products they market along with this is a piece of hardware called the
)CopyIIPC Option Board, which comes in (I think) two varieties: ordinary
)and deluxe.  I forget what the difference between them is, but the board
)comes with software that allows you to copy files from  MAC disks to PC
)disks.  In fact, you can copy virtually any file or disk from virtually
)any floppy to virtually any other (virtual copy heaven! :-).  You can
)diskcopy from 5.25" to 3.5", you can read/write MAC and PC format disks,
)in fact you can _format_ MAC disks on your PC, etc., etc.

	I have CopyIIPC as well and it is a good product and the cheapest
way to transport MAC/PC. However it is not perfect. It can only do 800K
MAC floppies. In our hands it sometimes has problems write and formatting
MAC disks. Perhaps it is sensitive to which brand of 3.5" PC floppy drive.
	There are other options. Some companies sell external MAC drives
with a PC bus controller. These run in the $300 range, whereas CopyIIPC
actually called the Deluxe Option Board) can be had for $110.