[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Screen blankers...

IO92203@MAINE.BITNET (Scott Maxell) (04/13/91)

    I am looking for a screen blanker that displays something more than
just a blank screen. I looked at one called Inner Mission, but didn't
quite like it. If have checked myriad FTP sites, but have found no others.

P.S.  It needs to run on an 8086 *blush*

Thanks muchly...

//////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
+---------+ Scott Maxell  -- Bitnet   ->> IO92203 @ maine
+---------+ do, not what I tell it to do..."

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/14/91)

In article <91102.151400IO92203@MAINE.BITNET> IO92203@MAINE.BITNET (Scott Maxell) writes:

>    I am looking for a screen blanker that displays something more than
>just a blank screen. I looked at one called Inner Mission, but didn't
>quite like it. If have checked myriad FTP sites, but have found no others.
:

I don't say this in any negative sense, but simply as an
observation.  There is obviously something wrong about your method
of checking the FTP sites.  Eg have you obtained the annotated file
lists of Simtel20 and garbo.uwasa.fi, and looked at them?

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

u5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr13.184053.11792@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
> In article <91102.151400IO92203@MAINE.BITNET> IO92203@MAINE.BITNET (Scott Maxell) writes:
>>
>>    I am looking for a screen blanker that displays something more than
>>just a blank screen. I looked at one called Inner Mission, but didn't
>>quite like it. If have checked myriad FTP sites, but have found no others.
> :
>
> I don't say this in any negative sense, but simply as an
> observation.  There is obviously something wrong about your method
> of checking the FTP sites.  Eg have you obtained the annotated file
> lists of Simtel20 and garbo.uwasa.fi, and looked at them?

I've been through this exercise with the simtel20 annotated file list, and
ended up FTPing about a dozen screen blankers, only two of which suited my
needs.  In particular, it would have helped if the file list had said whether
the program was shareware, and how much it cost, what screens it worked with
and how much memory it took, basically a lot more information than is readily
provided.  Getting a recommendation from someone is probably
the most sensible way of trying to find a utility like this.

Peter Summers