[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Can anyone help me?

markh@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Hirayama) (04/14/91)

    I was just wondering if anyone out there in the network world could
send me some  information about how I can take full advantage of my new
system.  I just bought a 386-33MHz, and it's really nice and everything,
but someone told me I would need certain utilities and perhaps modify some
of my applications in order to fully utilize all this power.  How do I tap
into this system?

    I guess my main questions are:

       1)  How can I take full advantage of my Cache memory?  (I think
           there's 64K in here)
       2)  How can I make use of the 4 MB RAM we had configured in this
           computer.  When I run my compiler, it accesses the hard drive
           so much I'm afraid I'm going to wear it out.  I want to install
           a chunk of the compiler into memory so it could just access it
           from there, if that's possible

    You can either post responses on the network, or e-mail me directly at:

     markh@milton.u.washington.edu

     Thanks in advance!

--markh
.

jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Jay-Vee) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.091218.27869@milton.u.washington.edu> markh@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Hirayama) writes:
>    I was just wondering if anyone out there in the network world could
>send me some  information about how I can take full advantage of my new
>system.  I just bought a 386-33MHz, and it's really nice and everything,
>but someone told me I would need certain utilities and perhaps modify some
>of my applications in order to fully utilize all this power.  How do I tap
>into this system?
>    I guess my main questions are:
>       1)  How can I take full advantage of my Cache memory?  (I think
>           there's 64K in here)
>       2)  How can I make use of the 4 MB RAM we had configured in this
>           computer.  When I run my compiler, it accesses the hard drive
>           so much I'm afraid I'm going to wear it out.  I want to install
>           a chunk of the compiler into memory so it could just access it
>           from there, if that's possible

Well, as an option for the compiler (if it doesn't support the 386 memory)
is to configure part of your ram as a ram disk, and have the compiler
compile and access that. Firts that's a lot faster, a more convinient
(unless you forget to save the work you did and switch off the computer;).
Otherwise there are some programs out there that will help take advantage of
the powerful 386, and the memory (windows 3.0 comes to mind, although I
think it's overrated (I like it though;))

Sorry I can't be more help (I have a 286 myself;);)

--
 Jan Vilhuber            | Internet: jvilhube@du.edu or jvilhube@[130.253.1.4]
 (The jammin' Bass)      | Bitnet  : jvilhube@DUCAIR

rkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Suro) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr14.214751.1684@mercury.cair.du.edu> jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Jay-Vee) writes:
>In article <1991Apr14.091218.27869@milton.u.washington.edu> markh@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Hirayama) writes:
>>    I was just wondering if anyone out there in the network world could
>>send me some  information about how I can take full advantage of my new
>>system.  I just bought a 386-33MHz, and it's really nice and everything,
>>but someone told me I would need certain utilities and perhaps modify some
>>of my applications in order to fully utilize all this power.  How do I tap
>>into this system?
>>    I guess my main questions are:
>>       1)  How can I take full advantage of my Cache memory?  (I think
>>           there's 64K in here)
>>       2)  How can I make use of the 4 MB RAM we had configured in this
>>           computer.  When I run my compiler, it accesses the hard drive
>>           so much I'm afraid I'm going to wear it out.  I want to install
>>           a chunk of the compiler into memory so it could just access it
>>           from there, if that's possible

[Stuff on compilers...]
[then a short blurb on windows]

Well, can't say much for compilers, as I am not a programmer, but on
running windows, it's nice, it looks nice, but unless you have
windows apps, using windows as a pretty icon-based DOS program
launcher is not really using that 386-33 to its best potential.  I
think if one wants to use windows, one must have the appropriate
windows apps, whether he does word processing, dtp, etc., to take
full advantage of dde, ole, whatever-e.

Personally, I don't use windows, as my PC is an XT turbo.  But I
have used windows at my work, and I find it rather uncomfortable
(compared to my mac IIci) to use, and I'd like to be able to double
click on the data file and run the corresponding program, without
having to load the program, then load the data file, or as some
people have suggested to me, fiddle with program manager to make the
data file appear as an icon, etc., etc.  If you have plenty of
memory, windows will seem pretty fast - I guess.

Windows is a nice program - if you have fast hardware (just like
macs... have you tried running PM4, or Photoshop on mac classics,
or even II? S...L...O...W...), and it would get better if it abandons DOS
entirely (Make it into an OS, and put it in ROM).  ROM... Hmmm, I'd
like that.  Instant - on Windows!

--

Robert W. Kim                            rkim@ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego.     kimbob@ucsd.edu

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (04/16/91)

PLEASE, do not continue this thread in vmsnet.sources.

vmsnet.sources is for posting of VMS (that's VAX VMS, ie, DEC's operating
system for its 32-bit CISC machines)-related sources ONLY.

Thank you.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan (x1116), Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMS Internals Working Group, U.S. DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh