[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Problems with SHARE

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (04/17/91)

I have just upgraded to a larger (125Meg) hard drive and now I have to
use SHARE.  I load the program in my Autoexec.bat (near the beginning of it)
but after autoexec.bat finished execution I still get the message:
  Warning:  Share should be loaded for large media

I checked my list of loaded programs (using mem) and SHARE does indeed
seem to be loaded.  So, why do I get the warning?  Am I doing something
wrong?

Any help will be appreciated.

Disclaimer:  The oppinions stated above are not mine.  In fact,
	     I don't know where they came from.  It scares me
	     sometimes.     -Mike  (daneman@sw.mcc.com)

gettys@yacht.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys) (04/17/91)

In article <5068@czech.sw.mcc.com>, daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) writes:
|>I have just upgraded to a larger (125Meg) hard drive and now I have to
|>use SHARE.  I load the program in my Autoexec.bat (near the beginning of it)
|>but after autoexec.bat finished execution I still get the message:
|>  Warning:  Share should be loaded for large media
|>
|>I checked my list of loaded programs (using mem) and SHARE does indeed
|>seem to be loaded.  So, why do I get the warning?  Am I doing something
|>wrong?

	Well, your mistake is loading it  in Autoexec.bat, it needs to be loaded earlier than that, i.e. either by the boot process or in Config.sys.  To load it at boot time just place it in your root directory (DOS will find it). If it doesn't, then to explicitly load it - put the line  INSTALL=C:\DOS\SHARE.EXE  in your Config.sys file (this assumes that SHARE is in C:\DOS, if not substitute your drive and path).

	/s/	Bob Gettys

BTW - the error message is happening prior to running Autoexec.bat, not after.

cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (04/17/91)

gettys@yacht.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys) writes:
>In article <5068@czech.sw.mcc.com>, daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) writes:
>|>I have just upgraded to a larger (125Meg) hard drive and now I have to
>|>use SHARE.  I load the program in my Autoexec.bat (near the beginning of it)

Er, SHARE sometimes does some really nasty things (like trash your FAT).  There
is a pgrm called NOSHARE.EXE available at wuarchive and probably simtel20
which in effect does the same thing as SHARE, but safely.

(for a detailed explaination of why, mail me)
! Adam Goldberg           !       *         ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL     !
! cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu !       *         !  programmer could do it!"       !

town@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Brian R. Town) (04/18/91)

Adam Goldberg writes:

>Er, SHARE sometimes does some really nasty things (like trash your FAT).  There
>is a pgrm called NOSHARE.EXE available at wuarchive and probably simtel20
>which in effect does the same thing as SHARE, but safely.

The NOSHARE.EXE program certainly DOES NOT do the same thing as SHARE.  The
main thing SHARE does (in relation to large partitioned hard drives) is to
allow old programs which were written using FCBs (File Control Blocks) to
work correctly (ie not mess your file system up).  NOSHARE.EXE causes said
programs to terminate when they try to use a FCB.  Although this has the same
effect (ie.  your file system doesn't get corrupted), it definitely is not
doing the same thing.

>(for a detailed explaination of why, mail me)
Do tell!

Brian (Never had SHARE trash my FAT either!) Town