[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DTP advice summarized

ajw@watson.hf.intel.com (Alan Waldock) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Mar28.184252.12056@intelhf.hf.intel.com> I wrote:
> My wife, not terribly computer-literate but can get by, wants
> to do a little desktop publishing (flyers and so forth) for
> her business.

Thanks to all who replied.  I ended up getting Express Publisher -
based partly on a reply from Dave Ritchie (quoted in full below),
partly on some feedback from colleagues, and partly on a demo from
the local software vendor.

It supports a gang of printers (including Epson RX80, Postscript,
and HP LaserJet, which are the ones I wanted) - uses scalable fonts,
imports from several graphics formats, comes with a GEMish interface,
lots of clip art and example docs included, well-written manual,
and certainly easy-enough to learn.  It's a good deal at <$100.

Summarized replies:
-------------------

...uunet!p4tustin!carl:

 Don't restrict your survey to those programs that advertise themselves
 as DTPs, most of the high end WPs today offer a substantial subset
 of publishing features...
 I suggest that you look at Word for Windows, AMI...

netcom.com!shadowfx (John Harris):

 I highly recommend Publish It ... the best printer support I have seen.
 I have a Epson LQ printer, and the output with Publish It is exceptional.
 I have First Publisher too, and the print quality does not even come close...

MERX%VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu(Mike Ray):

 My wife uses PFS:FP ... version 2.x ... likes the clip art and the tools to
 place and change the clip art BUT in text mode it is poor ... it ONLY does
 proportional spacing ...  In graphics it was pretty good EXCEPT it didn't have
 an 'arc' or 'circle' function.  I hear verson 3 is much better...

rice@willow.cray.com (Jonathan Rice):

 Publish-It!, from Timeworks, would suit ... It's a page composition program,
 not a text editor (well, you can edit in it, but you won't want to) and quite
 easy to use for small jobs.  It's bundled with a runtime version of GEM ...
 Includes a handful of fonts; understands four graphics formats for importing
 drawings ...  supports the usual collection of printers.

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Dave Ritchie):

  I bought Express Publisher earlier this year and like it so far. There is
 a special deal through Microsoft that if you buy Microsoft Works or
 several 'partner products' (which, includes Express Publisher :^> ),
 you will receive a free copy of Grammantik IV and a complimentry 6 month
 subscription to Inc. magazine by sending a copy of your sales receipt to
 Microsoft. (I found out about the special offer at the
 Software Etc. store here in Boise). I have a friend that has used both
 this and other programs in its price range -- he likes it also.

  It has an advantage in that it uses the Compugraphic scalable fonts,
 so it doesn't take up a hugh about of disk space but still allows you
 to scale fonts from 6 to 144 point, do shadowing and other text effects,
 rotate text around a curve, etc. It is compatible with the same fonts
 used in HP's Type Director.

  It is available for ~ $90 -- make sure that you get the 2.0 version if
 you buy it. Also, there was 5 extra typefaces bundled with versions
 packed last year -- these can be distinguished by a pink "extra fonts"
 sticker on the front.

Thanks, guys.

-- Alan Waldock, from but not on behalf of Intel Corporation
   ajw@watson.hf.intel.com       ...uunet!intelhf!watson!ajw