[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] TELEMATE VS. PROCOMM

richardsonrl@stat.appstate.edu (04/05/91)

I have used both Telemate and Procomm + version 2.0. Just got Procomm + v2.0.
It is awesome.  For $40, you can't beat Telemate. For $100+ you can't beat
PROCOMM + v2.0. If you already have PROCOMM the upgrade is $39, a first choice.

Bob R.

cb@tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.205415.662@stat.appstate.edu> richardsonrl@stat.appstate.edu writes:

   I have used both Telemate and Procomm + version 2.0. Just got Procomm + v2.0.
   It is awesome.  For $40, you can't beat Telemate. For $100+ you can't beat
   PROCOMM + v2.0. If you already have PROCOMM the upgrade is $39, a first
   choice.

Thanks for supplying this comparison.  Can anyone compare either of the above
with Telix?  This is shareware that comes packed into John Dvorak's book about
Telecomm.

Christopher Brewster
Cray Research Inc.
612: 683-5759
cb@timbuk.cray.com

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.205415.662@stat.appstate.edu> richardsonrl@stat.appstate.edu writes:
>I have used both Telemate and Procomm + version 2.0. Just got Procomm + v2.0.
>It is awesome.  For $40, you can't beat Telemate. For $100+ you can't beat
>PROCOMM + v2.0. If you already have PROCOMM the upgrade is $39, a first choice.
:

You might find the Telix vs Procomm vs TeleMate review in
/pc/ts/tsfaq19.arc of interest.  Available from our site.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

blaise@kira.UUCP (Christopher Blaise) (04/13/91)

From article <CB.91Apr5112335@tamarack12.timbuk>, by cb@tamarack12.timbuk (Chris Brewster):
> In article <1991Apr4.205415.662@stat.appstate.edu> richardsonrl@stat.appstate.edu writes:
>
>    I have used both Telemate and Procomm + version 2.0. Just got Procomm + v2.0.
>    It is awesome.  For $40, you can't beat Telemate. For $100+ you can't beat
>    PROCOMM + v2.0. If you already have PROCOMM the upgrade is $39, a first
>    choice.
>
> Thanks for supplying this comparison.  Can anyone compare either of the above
> with Telix?  This is shareware that comes packed into John Dvorak's book about
> Telecomm.
>
> Christopher Brewster
> Cray Research Inc.
> 612: 683-5759
> cb@timbuk.cray.com

Speaking of Telemate, has anyone had major problems with it crashing?
I would really rather use Telemate because of it's excellent mouse support and
windows, but the damn thing randomly crashes on my 386-25!

TTYL
Chris
 Christopher Blaise - blaise@emily.uvm.edu   "I just wanna be loved...
 ]]]]]]]]]]]]]   Fido: 1:325/107	      is that so WRONG?!"

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Eugene Mok (Miramar)) (04/13/91)

blaise@kira.UUCP (Christopher Blaise) writes:

>> cb@timbuk.cray.com

>Speaking of Telemate, has anyone had major problems with it crashing?
>I would really rather use Telemate because of it's excellent mouse support and
>windows, but the damn thing randomly crashes on my 386-25!

Yes, it crashes quite often on my 386-25. And the wierd thing is after
every crash, 2 of my files, dosedit.com and mouse.com, gets overwritten
by portions of Telemte's scroll-back buffer. There could be more files
that were corrupted but I haven't found anything else yet. I really liked
Telemate but for the above problem and and the fact that it's really memory
hungry. The multitasking features are excellent but now that I'm using
Desqview, I've gone back to Telix or Commo when I need more memory.

--
-----/ _ _ \--------------------------------------------------------------------
     \  ^  /                 eugene@pogo.ai.mit.edu       (USA)
------\ o /---------------------------------------------------------------------

blaise@kira.UUCP (Christopher Blaise) (04/20/91)

From article <1991Apr13.060300.18351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>, by s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Eugene Mok (Miramar)):
> blaise@kira.UUCP (Christopher Blaise) writes:
>
>>> cb@timbuk.cray.com
>
>>Speaking of Telemate, has anyone had major problems with it crashing?
>>I would really rather use Telemate because of it's excellent mouse support and
>>windows, but the damn thing randomly crashes on my 386-25!
>
> Yes, it crashes quite often on my 386-25. And the wierd thing is after
> every crash, 2 of my files, dosedit.com and mouse.com, gets overwritten
> by portions of Telemte's scroll-back buffer. There could be more files
> that were corrupted but I haven't found anything else yet. I really liked
> Telemate but for the above problem and and the fact that it's really memory
> hungry. The multitasking features are excellent but now that I'm using
> Desqview, I've gone back to Telix or Commo when I need more memory.
>
>      | o o |    Eugene Mok  s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au  (Melbourne OZ)

I hear ya!  Now that I have Desqview, I find that Procomm Plus (2.0) is
serving my needs.  Still would like to have the mouse support and editor features that TM has, but oh well... :)