[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Trouble in PROCOMM+

dbarberi@rodan.acs.syr.edu ([=-*> ZORGO <*-=]) (04/20/91)

Hi!

I've been having some trouble with PROCOMM+ lately..
Every once in a while I will get a line of UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
on my screen, and after that I can't do anything except log off (ctrl-x)
and re-enter procomm+ again.  Any ideas what this is?  Is it my modem, or
is it Procomm?

Second problem:  I accidently entered host mode (alt-q) while online, and
afterwards, I found out that my pcplus.dir file had been trashed..it seems
that procomm wrote the host log file directly into pcplus.dir!!  This
ever happpen to anyone else?

(oops.. for log off it should be alt-x, not ctrl-x)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Barberi             |  "Support the Electronic Frontier Foundation!"   |
Syracuse University       |--------------------------------------------------|
S.I. Newhouse School of   |  Bitnet: Dbarberi@SUNRISE                        |
Public Communications     |  Internet: Dbarberi@Rodan.acs.syr.edu            |

c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.102556.5487@rodan.acs.syr.edu> dbarberi@rodan.acs.syr.edu ([=-*> ZORGO <*-=]) writes:
>I've been having some trouble with PROCOMM+ lately..
>Every once in a while I will get a line of UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>on my screen, and after that I can't do anything except log off (ctrl-x)
>and re-enter procomm+ again.  Any ideas what this is?  Is it my modem, or
>is it Procomm?

Can you drop DTR (Alt-H) and then redial?  If yes, it's most likely
your modem.  If not, most likely it's ProComm.  Also try turning modem
off and on again.

>Second problem:  I accidently entered host mode (alt-q) while online, and
>afterwards, I found out that my pcplus.dir file had been trashed..it seems
>that procomm wrote the host log file directly into pcplus.dir!!  This
>ever happpen to anyone else?

ProComm shouldn't be doing this.  There's no option to control the name
of the host file; it's fixed at PCPLUS.HST.  I've accidentally gone
into host mode while on-line several times, but I just press escape and
continue working.
Maybe something else is trashing your PCPLUS.DIR file.
Also, which version of PC+ are you using?

--
+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq       | "I haven't lost my mind, |

mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) (04/21/91)

:
:Can you drop DTR (Alt-H) and then redial?  If yes, it's most likely
:your modem.  If not, most likely it's ProComm.  Also try turning modem
:off and on again.

I have evidenced the same problem with three different modems with
Procomm 2.4.3, one of which is a Hayes.

I can't Alt-H and re-establish a connection, generally. I don't LOSE
connection...  I use the ability to use the program.  I can exit
Procomm, re-enter, and things are all fine and dandy.

====
Mike O'Connor (mjo@ais.org)

c60b-1eq@e260-1f.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.194933.26956@engin.umich.edu> Mike O'Connor <mjo@ais.org> writes:
>In article <1991Apr20.194414.29270@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>:In article <1991Apr20.102556.5487@rodan.acs.syr.edu> dbarberi@rodan.acs.syr.edu ([=-*> ZORGO <*-=]) writes:
>:>I've been having some trouble with PROCOMM+ lately..
>:Can you drop DTR (Alt-H) and then redial?  If yes, it's most likely
>:your modem.  If not, most likely it's ProComm.  Also try turning modem
>:off and on again.
>I have evidenced the same problem with three different modems with
>Procomm 2.4.3, one of which is a Hayes.

Sounds like a bug to me ...

>I can't Alt-H and re-establish a connection, generally. I don't LOSE
>connection...  I use the ability to use the program.  I can exit
                  ^^^ you mean lose
>Procomm, re-enter, and things are all fine and dandy.

ProComm 2.4.3 is quite outdated.  I'd recommend you buy ProComm+.  The
latest version is 2.0.

--

In article <1991Apr20.204427.4790@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-1f.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

:ProComm 2.4.3 is quite outdated.  I'd recommend you buy ProComm+.  The
:latest version is 2.0.

This was a long time ago.  Now I use a term program that's a bit more
sane, though I'd still like to know what causes all the UUUUUs.

====
Mike O'Connor (mjo@ais.org)