[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Changing partition without losing data?

hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Hans van Oostrom) (04/18/91)

Hi,

I've got a 85 Mbyte partition running under DOS 4.0.  Now I would like
to change that to a 65 Mb and a 20 Mb partition.  I can make sure that
the higher 20 Mb of the harddisk sectors are empty.
My guts tells me that is should be possible to change the partition
and still keep all the data on the 65 Mb partition.  Is this possible?
Are there any tools?

I don't want to back up 60 Mb of stuff, because I don't have enough
floppies for that. (I do back up my data, but not my programs)

Hans van Oostrom
PO Box J-254, JHMHC                 hans@ufpine                (BITNET)
Gainesville, FL  32601, USA         hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu    (INTERNET)

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (04/22/91)

li@athena.cs.uga.edu (Jialin li) writes:

>In article <28081@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu writes:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've got a 85 Mbyte partition running under DOS 4.0.  Now I would like
>>to change that to a 65 Mb and a 20 Mb partition.  I can make sure that
>>the higher 20 Mb of the harddisk sectors are empty.
>>My guts tells me that is should be possible to change the partition
>>and still keep all the data on the 65 Mb partition.  Is this possible?
>>Are there any tools?

>It depends. Sometimes you can do it, sometimes you cannot. I tried
>it once, and it worked. I backed up everyting before I did that.

I tried too and lost everything!
The reason was that Dos's FDISK overwrites the start of every
partition that it changes with 0's. Try it with a different
partitioning software but don't try it on a computer with data
on it that you still need.
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |