[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] ftping

mds1@cbnewsm.att.com (marc.d.sayre) (12/10/90)

Hello, outthere,

(PLEASE RESPOND (if you can ) TO ihlpb!hvmpa!eotto)
It might seem stupid or daft or what ever, but I don't know how to do ftp'ing
to get source files from ftp sites ??

I myself are on a machine in the UK connected to all AT&T computers and obviously
to the cbnewsm machine. Could somebody give me an example to execute to get
into such an fpt machine !!!!

Thanks very much,

Erick Otto
ihlpb!hvmpa!eotto
AT&T Bell labs.

scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) (04/23/91)

i'm trying to get into ftp'ing and i haven't much of an idea what i'm doing.
i've already got a few large lists of sites, but what i really want to know
is how to get something to uncompress the files.Also, is there any hope
whatsoever of being able to ftp a compiler?

*  STEVEN CAVANAGH            |  AAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!     *
*    (LIGHTCHILD)             |                                              *
* scavanag@gara.une.oz.au     |                          -BRUCE LEE          *

cjp310@coombs.anu.edu.au (Chris @ SSDA ...) (04/23/91)

scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) writes:

>i'm trying to get into ftp'ing and i haven't much of an idea what i'm doing.
>i've already got a few large lists of sites, but what i really want to know
>is how to get something to uncompress the files.Also, is there any hope
>whatsoever of being able to ftp a compiler?

Try getting the starter kit posted on comp.binaries.ibm every-so-often
it contains all the info and programs needed to initialize your foray into the
vast world of ftp.

Hope this Helps

Chris.

                  Chris Patterson | Ph:  +61 6 2492185
     Social Science Data Archives | AARNet: Chris@coombs.anu.edu.oz
   Australian National University | "I wonder what happens if I ..."

warrenl@graphics.rent.com (Warren Lieuallen) (04/23/91)

scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) writes:

> i'm trying to get into ftp'ing and i haven't much of an idea what i'm doing.
> i've already got a few large lists of sites, but what i really want to know
> is how to get something to uncompress the files.Also, is there any hope
> whatsoever of being able to ftp a compiler?

   It depends what kind of "uncompression" you need.  Many FTP files
are UUencoded (turned into ASCII), so you'll need UUDECODE.COM.  A
number of files are compressed by a Unix COMPRESS program; several
de-compressor programs (such as COMP430D.ZIP) are available.  You
will probably also need unArc or unZIP abilities.
   Yes, you could easily FTP a compiler (or anything for that matter).
If you're sending, I'd recommend UUencoding it first.  If you're
receiving, just "get" it, and then you may need a little detective
work to un-do whatever was done to it (UUdecode, decompress, unARChive,
etc.).