[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] best introductory PC language

goer@ellis.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) (04/20/91)

We run a Xenix box here at home, but have a PC as well, and a DOS
emulator.  I have a son who has started writing programs in GW-
BASIC, and after 500 lines or so has trouble keeping track of his
program.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a better beginning
programming language?

NB:  The child in question is 5, so I'd prefer not to teach him
C, and probably not Pascal either.  The only requirement I'd have
is that the language be very high level, and have a good command
of the screen (dumb UNIX tty I/O bores him; I don't want to sick
him on X yet).

Logo has been recommended to me.  I know nothing about pricing and
availability.  PC lisp dialects have also been mentioned to me.  I
think these would be good.  Lisp syntax is trivial, and my son could
master it in a few days.  The trouble with LISP is that I don't know
of PC dialects with good I/O.

Any information anyone (any fathers out there?) could give me would
be much appreciated by me.  Personal letters that bear fruit will
be rewarded by a thank-you from my son :-).

--

   -Richard L. Goerwitz              goer%sophist@uchicago.bitnet
   goer@sophist.uchicago.edu         rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

goer@ellis.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) (04/21/91)

I recently posted a query about the "best" introductory PC language -
an inquiry for my 5 year-old.  Many have mistaken my request, so let
me try to be clearer:

     1) The child in question already knows GW-BASIC, and writes
        programs with as many as 500 lines, and understands Car-
        tesian coordinates, binary data representation, flow-of-
        control, random numbers, etc.  He likes to program on Sat.
        mornings while daddy and mommy are still "sleeping" ;-),
        and has no trouble looking up basic commands in the manual.

     2) The child in question has gotten himself into pretty deep
        water, writing spaghetti code that I have a hard time un-
        ravelling when he gets into trouble (which happens a lot).

     3) Given that he knows GW-BASIC, and it's not filling his needs,
        I'm trying to find something that will be better for him.
        What I'm trying to find for him is a language that

             a) runs on a PC (can't beat the price)
             b) has full, fast, high-level graphics capabilities
             c) is NOT a labeled language like GW-BASIC
             d) is interpreted (in the interactive sense)
             e) has a fairly simple syntax

        One other thing that my son would probably like is built-in
        handling of bignums and nice floating point routines.  He
        has a penchant for pushing things to the limit.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough before.  I got a bunch or responses
saying that I shouldn't expect too much of him, or that BASIC was a
good introductory language.  Believe me, I don't push him at all.  He
does most of this on his own.  And he already knows BASIC quite well,
and it's clearly not doing the job (at least the GW-BASIC variety).

I'm almost exclusively a UNIX programmer, and I've tried teaching him
Icon (a high-level string processing language).  He doesn't like doing
dumb UNIX tty stuff, though.  Can someone who knows PC software please
help me???
--

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr21.005055.10020@midway.uchicago.edu> goer@ellis.uchicago.edu (Richard L. Goerwitz) writes:
>I recently posted a query about the "best" introductory PC language -
>an inquiry for my 5 year-old.  Many have mistaken my request, so let
>me try to be clearer:

[...much stuff deleted...]
>--
>
>   -Richard L. Goerwitz              goer%sophist@uchicago.bitnet
>   goer@sophist.uchicago.edu         rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

Richard,
 I tried replying directly to you, but apparently my mailer is sick...

I know you mentioned earlier that you weren't really interested in C or
PASCAL for your son...for what its worth...

Get a copy of TURBO PASCAL by Borland International. Its a GREAT language
for learning/teaching computer programming (most colleges that I know of
base their comp. sci. curriculm on PASCAL...They use it to teach structured
programming *before* going off into other areas such as Object Oriented
Programming (Smalltalk), string processing (SNOBOL, etc) and AI
(PROLOG, Lisp).

If your son is writting programs that contain ~500 lines of code, then he should
be able to handle TURBO PASCAL...It has its IDE (Integrated Development Environment)
and many graphics routines/functions...Its also recommended as a good "starting
language" for people just learning to program...

Good Luck

John

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt@gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt@cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|