[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] ZOFAX 96/24

hentsche@serss0.fiu.edu (Erich Hentschel) (04/22/91)

Zoltrix Product:

The following product appears to have caused some damage to
my 386SX.  I have not been able to contact the company and
no one seems to have ever heard from them.

The main problem, (so far) seems to be that I can no longer
format 2D 3 1/2 diskettes in the high drive.  High density
diskettes also I can't format, but somehow Norton Utilities can.
In general, the drive is unreliable.  It seems that some times the
FAT or BOOT sectors get damaged and the diskette is as good as
new and unformatted.  Some 2S2D diskettes I can't access but
a 2D drive had no trouble doing so.

The error when accessing is the standard:
Abort, Retry, Fail?
and some times when I choose F
I get an: INT24 message.

ZOFAX 96/24
Send and Receive Fax 9600bps + 2400bps modem
Zoltrix ZX1896

other products from Zoltrix:
ZOCOM 24i Data Modem 2400 bps

ZOFAX 48/24
Send receive fax 4800bps + 2400bps modem

Any suggestions, on how to determine
what has happened to the dirve
would be greatly welcomed.

Erich.

E-mail
hentsche@serss0
FIU, Miami, FL. 33177

peters@beltrix.UUCP (Peter Sleggs) (04/22/91)

hentsche@serss0.fiu.edu (Erich Hentschel) writes:

> Zoltrix Product:
>
> The following product appears to have caused some damage to
> my 386SX.  I have not been able to contact the company and
> no one seems to have ever heard from them.

what have you tried ??
as they do not have an address or phone # ANYWHERE on the package
I dont think they WANT to hear from end users, I deal withthe local
distributor for all problems.

I believe that one of the PC mags had a review of the board in the
last few months one *should* be able to get a phone # from the article
(if you cant find the article mail me I'll try and find it here)

> The main problem, (so far) seems to be that I can no longer
> format 2D 3 1/2 diskettes in the high drive.  High density

This should have NO effect, what happens if you remove the card??

> Any suggestions, on how to determine
> what has happened to the dirve
> would be greatly welcomed.

The drive probably has failed for an unrelated reason, as the only
reason I can see for the FAX interfering would be a defective floppy disk
clobbering the drive.

You never mentioned if the modem of FAX works ? does it?
if so there is most likely some unrelated reason for the floppy problem.

I use the Zoltriz fax board in my main development system and so far the
ONLY complaint I have is the dammed bitfax software:-(,
it is Desqview HOSTILE and I have to shud down DV to send a fax.

good luck
peter

{blister|torag|skypod}!beltrix!peters   or peters@torag.uucp
OR as a last resort lsuc!canrem!peter.sleggs

gallo@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Gallo) (04/24/91)

<use Bitfax under Deskview

The Bitfax 3.0 revision is DV aware.