[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Compatibility of video drivers

ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) (04/24/91)

I'd like to know how compatible video drivers are across the different
manufacturers of video boards.

For example, if I have a driver for a Diamond Speedstar board
that uses the Tseng ET4000 chip, is it likley to work with any other
video board using the Tseng ET4000 chip?
Ken Roser - WA2VCI - mtgzy!ker - AT&T Bell Laboratories - 908-957-5822

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.175237.27431@cbnewsj.att.com> ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) writes:
>I'd like to know how compatible video drivers are across the different
>manufacturers of video boards.

That may not be generally answerable.  Fortunately it sounds like the
writer has a more specific issue:

>For example, if I have a driver for a Diamond Speedstar board
>that uses the Tseng ET4000 chip, is it likley to work with any other
>video board using the Tseng ET4000 chip?

The answer in this case is that the driver will probably work OK with
any ET4000 based board.

However as I look at this request carefully, it strikes me that one of
two situations must obtain: Either the writer has the driver and not the
video board, or the video board and the driver, but isn't sure if they
will work together.  In the former case, he would be well advised to
keep in mind that the vendor of the board, when he buys it, should have
supplied his own Windows driver, which may be tried before or in place
of the Speedstar driver.  In the latter case, where both board and
driver are in hand, I am moved to recall that

	There Are Two Kinds Of People In The World,

namely, the ones who take a board and a driver and TRY them together to
see what happens; versus the ones who ask for the answer first.