[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Replacing an 8250 with a 16550a chip

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.103614.1295@agora.rain.com> tedm@agora.rain.com (Ted Mittelstaedt) writes:
>  Does anyone know if the pin-out on this chip is the same as the pinout of
>  the older 8250 chip?

Technically, no, it's not.  From TFM:

"Pin for pin compatible with the existing 16450 except for CSOUT (24)
and NC (29)."

"Most serial cards that currently use the NS16450 don't use these pins,
so in those situations the NS16550A could be used as a plug-in upgrade."

Since the 16450 is functionally equivalent to the 8250, you shouldn't have
any problems.  I've plugged 16550s into 8250 cards, and they worked fine.

>I have a serial card that uses an 8250 and I would like to use the 16550a
>so when I run DeskView the serial chip isin't chewing up all the processor
>time.

Keep in mind that your communications software must be 16550-aware in order
for you to see any real benefit in the upgrade.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

) (04/23/91)

In article <6549@bwdls58.bnr.ca>, mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
> In article <1991Apr20.103614.1295@agora.rain.com> tedm@agora.rain.com (Ted Mittelstaedt) writes:
> <I was looking over the data sheets for the 16550a Uart, and I noticed that
> <there is a DIP version of the chip as well as the more common square chicklet
> <packaging.
> <  Does anyone know if the pin-out on this chip is the same as the pinout of
> <  the older 8250 chip?
> <I have a serial card that uses an 8250 and I would like to use the 16550a
> <so when I run DeskView the serial chip isin't chewing up all the processor
> <time.  has anyone plugged the 16550a into a 8250 socket on a serial card?
>
> There are a couple of pins with slightly different functions.  On my own card,
> these pins were not actually connected to anything.  This allowed me to do
> exactly as you ask.. pull out the 8250 and replace with with a 16550a.
>
> Nice chip!
How much does the 16550a cost?
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu (David Barr) (04/24/91)

With this discussion about the 8250 and the 16550a, I have gotten
more interested.  My Dell 310 has an 8250 chip, and I'm worried about
how fast of a modem I can use on it.  I'm currently in the market for
a v.42bis (hopefully v.32bis when it becomes available) modem.  I don't
want to spend the extra money for a modem if I can't use it to its full
potential.  If I can't go fast enough with an 8250, is it possible to
upgrade my motherboard to 16550a UART?  Certainly I can't just buy a
16550a chip, pull out my 8250, and off I go, can I?  (BTW the Dell 310
is a 386/20Mhz)

--Dave

c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/24/91)

In article <13357.281435fc@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
>How much does the 16550a cost?

Jameco Electronics sells the NS16550AN for $17.95.

--
+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq       | "I haven't lost my mind, |

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.034859.20556@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>>How much does the 16550a cost?
>
>Jameco Electronics sells the NS16550AN for $17.95.

Yes, but they have _$50_ minimum order!  Try Microprocessor Unlimited,
(918) 267-4961.  $12.50 for -AN, $15 for -AFV, $20 for -AFN, prices as of
1/14/91.  Shipping is about $3.  Anybody know what are the differences?
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu    ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao

) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.055001.11080@cs.ucla.edu>, chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) writes:
> In article <1991Apr24.034859.20556@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:
>>>How much does the 16550a cost?
>>
>>Jameco Electronics sells the NS16550AN for $17.95.
>
> Yes, but they have _$50_ minimum order!  Try Microprocessor Unlimited,
> (918) 267-4961.  $12.50 for -AN, $15 for -AFV, $20 for -AFN, prices as of
> 1/14/91.  Shipping is about $3.  Anybody know what are the differences?
> --
>
> Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu    ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao
I read in an earlier posting that the 8250 can be replaced by the 16550a.  Is
there anything more I should know before I do this?  Would it void a warranty?
Or is it as safe as installing a math chip?

c60b-1eq@web-4e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/25/91)

In article <91113.232836DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu> DSB100@psuvm.psu.edu (David Barr) writes:
>With this discussion about the 8250 and the 16550a, I have gotten
>more interested.  My Dell 310 has an 8250 chip, and I'm worried about
>how fast of a modem I can use on it.  I'm currently in the market for
>a v.42bis (hopefully v.32bis when it becomes available) modem.  I don't
>want to spend the extra money for a modem if I can't use it to its full
>potential.

You'll only notice the 16550's performance increase when you're doing
HIGH SPEED transfers, such as 115,200 bps.  I'm currently using a
V.42bis modem with an 8250 and haven't had any trouble.  I have had
trouble, however, with high speed transfers so I am planning on
replacing the chip.

>If I can't go fast enough with an 8250, is it possible to
>upgrade my motherboard to 16550a UART?  Certainly I can't just buy a
>16550a chip, pull out my 8250, and off I go, can I?  (BTW the Dell 310
>is a 386/20Mhz)

If you're using a serial port card, you'll find the 8250 there.  It's
a large 40-pin IC.  And yes, it is plug-compatible with the 16550.

--
+==========================================================================+

vcl@mimas.UUCP (Victor C. Limary) (04/26/91)

c60b-1eq@e260-1g.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

> In article <13357.281435fc@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers
> >How much does the 16550a cost?
>
> Jameco Electronics sells the NS16550AN for $17.95.

I ordered one a long time ago from a mail order house listed in the back
of either PC Magazine or Byte.  It costs about $11 or so, if you don't
buy from Jameco.

       _______
      /       \
     |  O   O  |         Victor Limary