[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Windows Setup => Standard, not Enhanced Mode

boquist@cs.chalmers.se (Urban Boquist) (04/24/91)

Why does the Setup program install Windows in Standard Mode, when
I have a 386-33 with 2Mb ?

Shouldn't it recognize that I could run in Enhanced Mode?

I have deleted everything that could possibly take up memory
from autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Any hints? (please not RTFM)

Thanks,
 /Urban

Kevin.Gmyrek@p5.f121.n324.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kevin Gmyrek) (04/26/91)

Originally:
 > From: boquist@cs.chalmers.se (Urban Boquist)
 > Date: 24 Apr 91 11:25:06 GMT
 > Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
 >

 > Why does the Setup program install Windows in Standard Mode,
 > when
 > I have a 386-33 with 2Mb ?
 >
 > Shouldn't it recognize that I could run in Enhanced Mode?

Windows (actually the WIN.COM loader) will only run in Enhanced mode
if it detects an 80386 and at least 2Mb of RAM.  If it's not running
in Enhanced mode automatically I would think it probably doesn't think
it has enough RAM with just the 2Mb (for some reason or another).  You
can force it into enhanced mode with "WIN /3" from the DOS prompt but
you're likely to get a message saying that Windows can't run in
enhanced mode.  More memory should solve the problem nicely.

                                             Kevin

--- FD 1.99c
 * Origin: My two cents worth... (worth about 1.3 cents) (1:324/121.5)
--
Kevin Gmyrek - via FidoNet node 1:324/121 (UUCP/UseNet<->FidoNet gateway)
UUCP:  wizvax!buscard!121.5!Kevin.Gmyrek