[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] OS/2 2.0 is here! READ THIS, you'll be impressed

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (04/22/91)

Here's a summary of the summary of OS/2 2.0 that was presented to the media
last week.

The unnofficial motto is "A better DOS than DOS, a better Windows than
Windows, and a better OS/2 than OS/2."

They finally got DOS compatibility big time.  You can run multiple DOS
boxes simultaneously, and they can even be different versions of DOS!
(Need to run an old spread sheet that only runs under DOS 1.1?  No

3.0 in 386 enhanced mode), and in the demo each DOS box had 620K free
*after* (yes, that's AFTER) a multitude of device drivers were loaded.  And
of course they can be cutted from / pasted to.

Not enough?  How about being able to run Windows 2.x and 3.x programs
NATIVELY?  (ie, *without* starting up a DOS box).  And of course it runs
them pre-emptively and makes them look like any other OS/2 2.0 application.
And no more dreaded Unrecoverable Application Errors.  This gives OS/2
access to the multitude of decent apps for Windows 2.x and 3.x.  And with
a decent, *efficient* scheduler.  (Downloading at 9600bps on my 33MHz 386
takes 30% of my processor time under Windows 3.0!  It shouldn't take more
than 5%.)

Not enough?  How about being able to run OS/2 1.x 16-bit apps side by
side with your 32 bit 2.0 apps (and the Windows and DOS apps)?

Not enough?  How about a new file system (HPFS == High Performance File
System) that will banish the FAT forever?  It has better disk usage
(blocks only 256 bytes), better allocation (idle time arranging of blocks
into contiguous chunks), better error-recovery (I've shut off my machine
*many* times without doing a proper shutdown and *never* lost a file),
better performance (due to the above and fancy buffering).

Not enough?  How about a price of $150 US for the standard edition?  In
a box about the size of MS-DOS (no more hernias carrying OS/2 home)?  How
about an upgrade price of $99 for registered DOS and OS/2 1.0/1/2 users?
How about a FREE upgrade for registered OS/2 1.3 owners?

Big Blue has finally come home with OS/2 2.0.  Time to upgrade your DOS
or Windows 3.0 box!

In the demo given to the media, they had OS/2 2.0 running with multiple
versions of DOS running a communications program doing a transfer, a midi
program playing some music, a couple Windows 2.x and 3.x apps, a couple
OS/2 1.x apps, and of course some 2.0 apps, all on a 2 Meg laptop!  (I
haven't seen the demo or the video of it, I've only seen it described.
I presume only about half of the things mentioned above were running
concurrently.  But I could be wrong -- ie, too conservative.)

How do I know all this?  I'm working as a Co-op student at IBM Canada
this year (and yes, all the info above is public now so [I hope] I can
broadcast it).  Let me tell you it has some of OS/2's most vociferous
critics INTERNALLY saying things like "I'm finally proud to be an IBMer
again."  IBM is admitting it's made some big blunders with OS/2 in the
past, and they're really trying hard to change that.  Most important
is the real change that's happenning inside; but most critical to the
business, it's trying to convince the world that these changes are real.

Note that I don't want to start a flame war.  (Oh well.  At least I tried
to stop it.)  This is just very exciting news for a frustrated Unix user
who's sick of DOS and crashing windows at home.
--
NOTICE: Due to the complexity of nearly all topics, the opinions expressed
above are in continual process of formation and may be changed without notice.

Wayne Hayes     INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca        CompuServe: 72401,3525

dorsai@iear.arts.rpi.edu (gregory d moncreaff) (04/22/91)

comercial availability?
--
"A perfect democracy, a 'warm body' democracy in which every adult may vote and
all votes count equally, has no internal feedback for self-correction. It de-

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.135534.724@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:

>Here's a summary of the summary of OS/2 2.0 that was presented to the media
>last week.
>
> And with
>a decent, *efficient* scheduler.  (Downloading at 9600bps on my 33MHz 386
>takes 30% of my processor time under Windows 3.0!  It shouldn't take more
>than 5%.)

How do they do that? Magic?? What do they do with wait loops?

>Not enough?  How about a new file system (HPFS == High Performance File
>System)

In other words, a fatal flaw! (Unless, of course, it can be turned off.)

> [lots more blather]

Does it put all those DOS and Windows 3.0 programs in windows?? Including
DOS graphics programs?

Doug McDonald

dwebster@cs.arizona.edu (Dave E. Webster, Jr.) (04/22/91)

It slices, it dices, it makes your bed for you too!  And if you dial
our 1-800 number before midnight, we will also include these free
Ginsu knives ....  8-}.

There is an old saying about things which appear too good to be true,
and another one regarding the relative birth rates of suckers.  I well
remember the heralding of the original OS/2 version and how flat it fell
after actual release.  Many of the features promised then are (apparently)
being included, but let's wait for six months after actual public release
before we decide, eh?

Dave.

"Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."

In article <1991Apr21.194928.8267@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>> And with
>>a decent, *efficient* scheduler.  (Downloading at 9600bps on my 33MHz 386
>>takes 30% of my processor time under Windows 3.0!  It shouldn't take more
>>than 5%.)
>
>How do they do that? Magic?? What do they do with wait loops?

Actually you're right.  I chose a bad example.  A terminal program
probably has lots of wait loops that would require near magic to
detect and eliminate.  My point was, how often do you try running
multiple truly CPU intensive DOS applications under Windows?  Whenever
I do, I get significantly less than 1/n the performance of the machine.
This can be (and is) fixed under OS/2 because

1) Disk *writes* can be buffered under HPFS.  As far as I know, all
   the DOS disk cachers under FAT are write-through, so that you can
   turn your machine off immediately after doing a write without losing
   data.  Since HPFS needs an official shutdown command, it can buffer
   writes until such time as the disk is available for non-thrashing
   writes.  (All the time-outs and such are configurable if you so wish.)
   But it still has amazing recovery in the event of a power failure.
   You won't lose anything except stuff that was written within a few
   seconds of the power failure.

2) You don't share a single DOS session and there's no requirement to
   handle all disks requests sequentially.  In other words, DOS has a
   single threaded file system whereas HPFS is multi-threaded.  This is
   also the reason Windows *completely* dies during floppy access.  OS/2
   does not have this problem.

3) I'm not a DOS expert, but I believe there is significant overhead in
   task switching between two DOS sessions that are really only using the
   single DOS session available under Windows.  OS/2 runs all DOS sessions
   completely independently, and thus is far more efficient at switching
   between them.

>>Not enough?  How about a new file system (HPFS == High Performance File
>>System)
>
>In other words, a fatal flaw! (Unless, of course, it can be turned off.)

First, yes, you can "turn it off" in that you may choose not to install
it in the first place, and OS/2 will use plain old FAT.  But why in the
world would you want to?  Well-behaved DOS apps can easily have all disk
accesses trapped and translated to the HPFS equivalent OS/2 calls without
the DOS app's knowledge.  Even some moderately-behaved apps can be handled.
Only the truly nasty ones that try direct hardware access will fail, and
most developers don't write those any more because they know things like
that won't run even under Windows 3.0.  (Yes, that *slightly* diminishes
the claim of running your DOS 1.1 spreadsheet if it tries hardware access,
but this feature is far more probable to be used with say, DOS 3.x, 4.x
and maybe 2.x.)  This is because OS/2 is running in 386 protected mode and
can "see" all memory access and translate from FAT language to HPFS language.

But installing HPFS means completely re-formatting your hard drive.  So
you back up your current partitions, and restore under the DOS box after
installing OS/2.  Big deal.  It's well worth the massive increase in
performance you'll get.  I used OS/2 1.2 under FAT for a few months and
then reformatted to HPFS on the advice from a co-worker.  I was *amazed*
at the difference.  I could *feel* the system running faster.  Why is
this a fatal flaw?  This is the computer industry.  You're going to have
to give up your old nasty DOS 1.x and 2.x apps eventually and look to the
future.

>Does it put all those DOS and Windows 3.0 programs in windows?? Including
>DOS graphics programs?

Like I said, I haven't seen it running yet.  It *is* ready to ship, and
I've ordered an internal Beta copy (probably get it Monday).  The official
copies will be going like hotcakes and IBM empolyees are going to have
to wait for awhile before getting it.  But yes, it runs DOS apps in a
window, just like Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode can.  And you weren't
listening when I said that it will run Windows 2.x and 3.x applications
NATIVELY, ie WITHOUT starting up a DOS box, *side by side* with "real"
OS/2 applications under Presentation Manager.  I'm not sure about graphics
programs; I've read so much info internally over the past 2 days.  I
*do* recall someone talking about a bug being fixed that allowed some
graphics programs to be *displayed* under PM.  In fact Windows 3.0 in
enhanced mode can display DOS graphics programs in a window -- it can't
*run* them all because most do direct writes to the video RAM and thus
can't run concurrently with Windows.  I suspect PM (Presentation Manager,
the window manager for OS/2) has similar limitations.  You probably wouldn't
want to do this anyway.  Trapping I/O instructions for writing out blocks
of data to disk and translating to OS/2 calls can be done fairly efficiently.
But trapping individual machine language instructions that access video
memory would be incredibly slow no matter how smart you did it.  Windows 3.0
can simulate CGA on my SuperVGA screen, but the graphics run 11 times
slower (I just timed it using Fractint).

--

jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu (Jason Merrill) (04/22/91)

> In article <1991Apr21.135534.724@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
>> And with
>>a decent, *efficient* scheduler.  (Downloading at 9600bps on my 33MHz 386
>>takes 30% of my processor time under Windows 3.0!  It shouldn't take more
>>than 5%.)

> How do they do that? Magic?? What do they do with wait loops?

Ever compared DESQview's background comm performance to that of Windows 3?
DV's is infinitely better, but I use Windows anyway because I like to use
some windows programs.  If OS/2 2.0's comm multitasking is even as good as
DV's, I'll be happy.

>>Not enough?  How about a new file system (HPFS == High Performance File
>>System)

> In other words, a fatal flaw! (Unless, of course, it can be turned off.)

1) You can turn off HPFS in OS/2 1.2, or have multiple partitions, one
   HPFS, one not.  I ASSUME they haven't turned this off in 2.0.
2) Microsoft planned to add HPFS to DOS 6.0, I had heard...so there must be
   some way to reconcile old programs and new filesystems.
3) I'm real tired of eight dot three.

> Does it put all those DOS and Windows 3.0 programs in windows?? Including
> DOS graphics programs?

Why would you want Windows 3.0 programs in a window?  Why not make them look
like native OS/2 programs, which is what I've heard it does?

Jason Merrill
jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (04/22/91)

> There is an old saying about things which appear too good to be true,
> and another one regarding the relative birth rates of suckers.  I well
> remember the heralding of the original OS/2 version and how flat it fell
> after actual release.  Many of the features promised then are (apparently)
> being included, but let's wait for six months after actual public release
> before we decide, eh?

Agreed.

Too little too late. I already bought a NeXT.

I will keep my DOS machine running Windows 3.0 quite happily, with all of
it's limitations, and let my NeXT carry me into the world of multitasking
and truly brilliant GUI design with grace and ease.

  asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca         The Chameleon Papers - Vancouver, BC
                   Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy - NeXT user
   Human beings are a great disappointment to me, and it doesn't help one
                       bit that I am one  --SF
                   Fingers Down The Throat Of Love

6600dadg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (King of Sunset Town) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.194928.8267@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>In article <1991Apr21.135534.724@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
>>

>>Not enough?  How about a new file system (HPFS == High Performance File
>>System)

>In other words, a fatal flaw! (Unless, of course, it can be turned off.)

It can't be turned off.  Then again, it doesn`t need to be.  IBM has
been saying for months and months that OS/2 2.0 supports *multiple*
file systems.  That way, you can have both DOS and OS/2 hard drives
mounted, along with, say, a CD-ROM, etc.

>Doug McDonald

+-----------------------------+-------------+---------------------------+
| UCSB NeXT Campus Consultant | Mark Dadgar | 6600dadg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu |
+-----------------------------+-------------+---------------------------+
|      Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall?       |
|      Do you remember dawn escapes from moon-washed college halls?     |
|      Do you remember cherry blossoms in the market square?            |
|      Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair?           |
+-------------Would UCSB write anything this intelligent?---------------+

woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) (04/22/91)

I don't know much about it myself (i.e. don't write to me about it),
but it's not really here until the 4th quarter so don't rush out and
expect to find it at your dealers...

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.135534.724@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:

>Here's a summary of the summary of OS/2 2.0 that was presented to the media
>last week.
>
>The unnofficial motto is "A better DOS than DOS, a better Windows than
>Windows, and a better OS/2 than OS/2."
>
>They finally got DOS compatibility big time.  You can run multiple DOS
>boxes simultaneously, and they can even be different versions of DOS!
>(Need to run an old spread sheet that only runs under DOS 1.1?  No

Ah, but how well does it run on my Super-Yanqui 33MHz 80486 clone with the
RAM-Zap 1280x1024x256 color video card, the Really Scuzzy hard disk and
interface card, with Joe's Live Bait and Printers 7000 DPI laser printer?

In other words, how do we get it to run on non-IBM hardware, and will they
support same?  IMHO, I think not.

And really, I am not abusing (nor am I embracing) OS/2 2.0, just being a
careful consumer.  As another post stated, let's wait and see.

--
Jeff Rife   P.O. Box 3836   |   "Because he was human; because he had goodness;
College Station, TX 77844   |    because he was moral they called him insane.

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.175529.2386@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
> In article <1991Apr21.194928.8267@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
> >> And with
> >>a decent, *efficient* scheduler.  (Downloading at 9600bps on my 33MHz 386
> >>takes 30% of my processor time under Windows 3.0!  It shouldn't take more
> >>than 5%.)
> >
> >How do they do that? Magic?? What do they do with wait loops?
>
> Actually you're right.  I chose a bad example.  A terminal program
> probably has lots of wait loops that would require near magic to
> detect and eliminate.

Don't be so hard on yourself - it isn't a bad example at all.  Doug,
you just don't know what you're talking about.  Writing communications
software is one of the things I do for a living;  people pay me lots
of money to get these things to talk to each other.  Doug's claims
struck me as just blowing so much smoke, so on a whim I fired up a
9600 baud download on the MicroVAX II class machine I was running
on, and found it took just about 25% of the CPU.  Now the MicroVAX II
is nowhere near a 33MHz 386 - it's probably not even the equivalent
of a 16MHz 386SX in terms of raw CPU power;  it doesn't even have a
memory cache.  I'm not sure offhand what the proper figure ought to
be (most of my comm software is written for VAX machines), but 30%
of the CPU is way too high.

Properly written communications software on a modern operating system
doesn't _have_ any "wait loops" in the sense of the traditional DOS
busy wait polling loop - it goes to sleep waiting for an event of
some kind to happen (the details will depend on the communications
application and the OS it's written for).  DOS doesn't have this
in its vocabulary;  comm programs written for DOS often _do_ have
some kind of polling loop for this reason, and if you were sufficiently
perverse to run such a beast under OS/2 or some other modern OS you'd
get just about what you deserve (though a reasonably intelligent
schedular can often detect what's happening and reduce the comm
program's priority).  In order to really take advantage of the new
OS you'd have to get a program that would support it - whether this
is worth it is something that only the user can decide, but it's
definitely technically _possible_ to write comm software that doesn't
take such a big percentage of the CPU.

> 2) You don't share a single DOS session and there's no requirement to
>    handle all disks requests sequentially.  In other words, DOS has a
>    single threaded file system whereas HPFS is multi-threaded.  This is
>    also the reason Windows *completely* dies during floppy access.  OS/2
>    does not have this problem.

This is also a good point - you don't realize how much you could be
losing because of single-threading unless you've used an OS that
supports multi-threading I/O operations on different drives.  In many
cases even multi-threading a _single_ drive can be beneficial if you
can overlap several types of operations (such as overlapping actual disk
I/O with inspections of in-memory file structure cache information).

> >>Not enough?  How about a new file system (HPFS == High Performance File
> >>System)
> >
> >In other words, a fatal flaw! (Unless, of course, it can be turned off.)
>
> First, yes, you can "turn it off" in that you may choose not to install
> it in the first place, and OS/2 will use plain old FAT.  But why in the
> world would you want to?  Well-behaved DOS apps can easily have all disk
> accesses trapped and translated to the HPFS equivalent OS/2 calls without
> the DOS app's knowledge.

I don't understand why HPFS should be a fatal flaw - there has never
been any statement that the FAT file system will be removed from
OS/2 at any time in the near future;  if anyone really needs it for
compatibility then they can use it.  But there is some really neat
stuff in HPFS - it's a significantly better file structure, in features,
performance, and reliability.  And the vast majority of apps aren't
going to be aware of whether they are on FAT or HPFS - only things
like the Norton Utilities or the like;  and the major ones in that
category are going to become HPFS-aware over time.

All of this glosses over the question of whether OS/2 will succeed
in the _marketplace_;  from everything I've heard about the new
version it probably will succeed _technically_ but that's only a
small part (some cynics would say not even a very relevant part)
of what it takes to succeed in the marketplace.  OS/2 has been
hailed as the PC OS of the future so many times that it's become
sort of like the boy that cried wolf - at this point it may be very
difficult to convince the marketplace that the system has finally
grown up.  Its reputation is that it is overhyped, overpriced,
oversized, undercapable, and incompatible;  even if _all_ of these
(real) problems are addressed, the perception will still remain in
many people's minds.

I'm not at _all_ sure I'd bet anything on it winning in the end,
but not for reasons that have much to do with Doug's comments.

						Bruce C. Wright

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (04/22/91)

$
$ Actually you're right.  I chose a bad example.  A terminal program
$ probably has lots of wait loops that would require near magic to
$ detect and eliminate.  My point was, how often do you try running
$ multiple truly CPU intensive DOS applications under Windows?  Whenever
$
I heard mentioned over and over again that there is a program called
TAME under DOS/Windows which will allow you to detect and eliminate
timing loop to speed up Windows. Never try that myself though.

$ 1) Disk *writes* can be buffered under HPFS.  As far as I know, all
$    the DOS disk cachers under FAT are write-through, so that you can
$    turn your machine off immediately after doing a write without losing
$
BBBBzzzzzzttt !!! There are quite a few write buffering cache programs
under DOS. Like SUPERPCK and HYPERDISK. And they perform quite well with
the crummy MesSyDOS FAT disk structure, thank you.

$ 3) I'm not a DOS expert, but I believe there is significant overhead in
$    task switching between two DOS sessions that are really only using the
$    single DOS session available under Windows.  OS/2 runs all DOS sessions
$    completely independently, and thus is far more efficient at switching
$    between them.
$
DOS sessions under Windows 3.0 enhanced mode are truely separate virtual
86 machines. As far as I know, if OS/2 uses the same virtual 86 approach
(which is vital for DOS compatibility), it will suffer the same performance
problem.   ..... But it might do better with a true 32-bit native 386
protected mode as the control environment. Anyone to comment ?

$ that won't run even under Windows 3.0.  (Yes, that *slightly* diminishes
$ the claim of running your DOS 1.1 spreadsheet if it tries hardware access,
$ but this feature is far more probable to be used with say, DOS 3.x, 4.x
$ and maybe 2.x.)  This is because OS/2 is running in 386 protected mode and
$ can "see" all memory access and translate from FAT language to HPFS language.
$
.... which means taking a big performance hit again due to all the need
to intercept all these stuff.

Besides, a lot of people still write programs that will never run under
Windows 3.0 --- I am referring to the games programmers. So, under DOS/
Windows, you have the option to quit Windows and run the games under DOS.
What can you do once you loaded up OS/2 ? Is there are way to "PARK" OS/2
to one side to prevent it from interferring with the games ? Please comment.

$ But installing HPFS means completely re-formatting your hard drive.  So
$ you back up your current partitions, and restore under the DOS box after
$ installing OS/2.  Big deal.  It's well worth the massive increase in
$ performance you'll get.  I used OS/2 1.2 under FAT for a few months and
$ then reformatted to HPFS on the advice from a co-worker.  I was *amazed*
$ at the difference.  I could *feel* the system running faster.  Why is
$
How do you use your DOS environment ? Boot up a plain vanilla DOS ?
With "BUFFERS=20" as your disk cache ? Or do you use thing like SUPERPCK,
QEMM etc. etc. ?

$ this a fatal flaw?  This is the computer industry.  You're going to have
$ to give up your old nasty DOS 1.x and 2.x apps eventually and look to the
$ future.
$
Ahhh !! But you have to provide a gradual migration path. Given the
current situation (created by the Windows 3.0 menia), it should be okay
to ignore DOS 1.x and 2.x. But, I still want to be able to run my DOS
based games !

$ Like I said, I haven't seen it running yet.  It *is* ready to ship, and
$ I've ordered an internal Beta copy (probably get it Monday).  The official
$
I believe everybody is waiting to see your comment on how it run on Tuesday
morning.    ;-).

Personally, I like the idea of lightweight threads and 32-bit linear
address space in OS/2 386. As soon as they fix the problem with the
DOS compatibility box, make it capable of running certain DOS extender
programs, make it able to run Windows 3 program straight off, make it
non-IBM machine specific, make it an open standard, make it cheap and
provide a way for me to run those games which demand full control of
the 386 CPU, I will switch to OS/2 anytime.  .... Be it OS/2 from IBM
or OS/2 from Microsoft (anyone else ????).

.... Don't forget to include superVGA drivers for ATI VGA Wonder card,
and make it work with Sound Blaster, etc. etc.  ;-)

Regards,     ___o``\________________________________________________ ___ __ _ _
Peter Lim.   V````\  @ @ . .. ... .- -> 76 MIPS at under US$20K !!   --- -- - -
                  /.------------------------------------------------ === == = =
             >--_//      . .. ... .- -> 57 MIPS at under US$12K !!
                `'       . If you guessed SUN, IBM or DEC, your are wrong !

E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,
                                             Singapore   0410.

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (04/22/91)

So, what's it take to run all of this.  Can my 286 run it?

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem

In article <F0wR11w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>, asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) writes:

> > There is an old saying about things which appear too good to be true,
> > and another one regarding the relative birth rates of suckers.  I well
> > remember the heralding of the original OS/2 version and how flat it fell
> > after actual release.  Many of the features promised then are (apparently)
> > being included, but let's wait for six months after actual public release
> > before we decide, eh?
>
> Agreed.
>
> Too little too late. I already bought a NeXT.

The other major problem with OS/2 (besides its dismal perception in
the marketplace).  The high end is already owned by things like NeXT,
and Unix with Xwindows and Motif.  OS/2 V2.0 won't run on anything
less than a 386 SX, so it will be in the unhappy position of having
to fight off MS-DOS and Windows on the smaller 386's (and not even
being able to touch the majority of Windows machines which are still
running on fast 286's), and having to fight of Unix and Motif on the
high end machines (big 386's and 486's).  The other systems have
their problems too, but they're already _there_, and a new & much
improved Motif is due out just about the time that OS/2 V2.0 becomes
commercially available.

And the Unix/Motif combination is _already_ portable to RISC - no
need for the "portable OS/2".

If they had come out with this a year or two ago it could have been
very different, but at this point the system's success is very
problematic - but for reasons that have little to do with its
technical merit (or lack thereof).

						Bruce C. Wright

sitze@nmsu.edu (Richard Sitze) (04/23/91)

>The other major problem with OS/2 (besides its dismal perception in
>the marketplace).  The high end is already owned by things like NeXT,
>and Unix with Xwindows and Motif.  OS/2 V2.0 won't run on anything
>less than a 386 SX, so it will be in the unhappy position of having
>to fight off MS-DOS and Windows on the smaller 386's (and not even
>being able to touch the majority of Windows machines which are still
>nrunning on fast 286's), and having to fight of Unix and Motif on the
>high end machines (big 386's and 486's).  The other systems have
>their problems too, but they're already _there_, and a new & much
>improved Motif is due out just about the time that OS/2 V2.0 becomes
>commercially available.
>[stuff deleted]
>
>						Bruce C. Wright

Yes, but on the OTHER hand I bought into a DOS machine in the
first place strictly for developing software products targeted
towards the small business...  And I'd DO ALMOST ANYTHING for
a decent DOS development platform.  I'm sorry, single DOS windows
under earlier versions of OS/2 (and UNIX flavors) just don't do
it for me.  Windows 3.0 is 'close' but to slow for most things.

I think any system that can provide the developement environment
will (sooner or later) find it's place in almost any market, take
a look at UNIX from that viewpoint...

I'm still going to look real close before I really invest in any OS.

	<ras>
--
                            +--------------------------
                            | Richard A. Sitze
                            | sitze@nmsu.edu,    phone: (505) 646-6228
                              SH 163

janeri@Lise.Unit.NO (Jan Eri) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr21.175529.2386@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:

|> But yes, it runs DOS apps in a
|> window, just like Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode can.  And you weren't
|> listening when I said that it will run Windows 2.x and 3.x applications
|> NATIVELY, ie WITHOUT starting up a DOS box, *side by side* with "real"
|> OS/2 applications under Presentation Manager.  I'm not sure about graphics
|> programs; I've read so much info internally over the past 2 days.  I
|> *do* recall someone talking about a bug being fixed that allowed some
|> graphics programs to be *displayed* under PM.  In fact Windows 3.0 in
|> enhanced mode can display DOS graphics programs in a window -- it can't
|> *run* them all because most do direct writes to the video RAM and thus
|> can't run concurrently with Windows.  I suspect PM (Presentation Manager,
|> the window manager for OS/2) has similar limitations.  You probably wouldn't
|> want to do this anyway.  Trapping I/O instructions for writing out blocks
|> of data to disk and translating to OS/2 calls can be done fairly efficiently.
|> But trapping individual machine language instructions that access video
|> memory would be incredibly slow no matter how smart you did it.  Windows 3.0
|> can simulate CGA on my SuperVGA screen, but the graphics run 11 times
|> slower (I just timed it using Fractint).

NO, OS/2 Presentation Manager does not have the same limitations as
Windows 3.0 in Enhanced mode. You can RUN several dos programs with graphic
output at the same time without problems.

Jan Eri - - - The Norwegian Institute of Technology
janeri@lise.unit.no

oivindt@bio.uio.no (Oivind Toien) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr21.175529.2386@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
> the DOS app's knowledge.  Even some moderately-behaved apps can be handled.
> Only the truly nasty ones that try direct hardware access will fail, and
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> most developers don't write those any more because they know things like
> that won't run even under Windows 3.0.  (Yes, that *slightly* diminishes

Although the direct hardware access mentioned above probably
references to hard disk drives this poses the question:

Real-time data-acquisition systems generally tends to use things like
interrupt handling, DMA-access, reprogramming of PC-timers and direct
interaction with A/D card buffers. Will this work, and if not: Does
OS2 provide library routines that replaces these kind of functions?

--
Oivind Toien   <oivindt@ulrik.uio.no>
Div. of General Physiology, Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Oslo

eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) (04/23/91)

Does anyone know how device drivers work in OS/2?  For instance, I use
WinQVTnet in order to access my Unix and VMS accounts.  From what's
been said, OS/2 should be able to run WinQVTnet native.  But what
about device drivers for the network card?

CluMan - Hunt
-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu                              -Eric Kirkbride-
atreis@anduin.compsci.liverpool.ac.uk
		        -The second dolphin-
Dolphins. Soon you will be one of us, and then you will understand.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/23/91)

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:
>the marketplace).  The high end is already owned by things like NeXT,
>and Unix with Xwindows and Motif.  OS/2 V2.0 won't run on anything

Get real. Who do you think will have shrink wrapped software first,
OS/2, which MS is pushing, or Unix, which (somebody?) is pushing.

Of course, real programmers use troff, but real users don't.

--
	It doesn't have to be perfect to be useful.

draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr23.002101.14336@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:
>>the marketplace).  The high end is already owned by things like NeXT,
>>and Unix with Xwindows and Motif.  OS/2 V2.0 won't run on anything
>
>Get real. Who do you think will have shrink wrapped software first,
>OS/2, which MS is pushing, or Unix, which (somebody?) is pushing.
>
>Of course, real programmers use troff, but real users don't.
>
>--
>	It doesn't have to be perfect to be useful.

Isn't the purpose of the SPARCstation to provide a compatible hardware
platfore which would enable the use of shrink-wrap software?

Vive la SPARC if this is true.

Patrick Draper     "College is supposed to prepare you for the future,
cps.msu.edu               but all my future's behind me."
draper@cps.msu.edu      -- My GrandPa, age 85, Fall 1990 graduate
                           of Western Michigan University

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (04/23/91)

Yes, OS/2 2.0 will (should) run on *any* 386 or 486, not just a PS/2.
(And no, not on a 286.  This is a 32 bit OS)

In regard to compatibility at *all* levels (DOS x.y, hardware access
by DOS, etc, etc): the statement coming from the developers is that
from now on, any compatibily problem will be considered a problem
with OS/2, and not a "well you should use a more modern version of your
DOS app" reply.

I'm about to say something that anyone who knows me thought
they'd never hear me say:  For a single user, multitasking
system, OS/2 has the capability to blow the pants off any Unix
system.  (I'm usually a DOS and OS/2 critic and Unix flag waver.)
This is because of the phrase "single user".  Since there is only
one user on OS/2, there is the concept of _THE_ foreground process,
which is of course the process that is currently taking user input.
This allows OS/2 to take advantage of this and give this process a
unique, higher priority, so that no matter how busy the machine is
in the background, whatever the foreground process is, it nearly
always responds immediately, as if it was the only task running.
(This foreground process is given priority over everything except
processes that declare themselves as requiring real-time processing.)
This has an amazing effect on perceived performance.  This type
of handling cannot be provided under Unix because there *is* no single
"foreground" process; even if you're running X-windows and you see
that window A is obviously your "foreground" process, there may some
flunky logged in over the serial port running a nuclear reactor
simulator that is not nice(1)'d.  This happens even on the high end
Unix boxes running X-windows.
--

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (04/23/91)

In article <10738@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600dadg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (King of Sunset Town) writes:

> It can't be turned off.  Then again, it doesn`t need to be.  IBM has
> been saying for months and months that OS/2 2.0 supports *multiple*
> file systems.  That way, you can have both DOS and OS/2 hard drives
> mounted, along with, say, a CD-ROM, etc.

I find this hard to believe. OS/2 1.2 and 1.3 support multiple disk partitions
(like DOS), and any partition can be FAT or HPFS. The HPFS partitions aren't
limited to 32MB. I have heard nothing to suggest that OS/2 2.x won't support
FAT too (and find it highly improbable that FAT won't be supported).
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury

cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu (Adam Goldberg) (04/23/91)

oivindt@bio.uio.no (Oivind Toien) writes:

>Real-time data-acquisition systems generally tends to use things like
>interrupt handling, DMA-access, reprogramming of PC-timers and direct
>interaction with A/D card buffers. Will this work, and if not: Does
>OS2 provide library routines that replaces these kind of functions?

>--
>Oivind Toien   <oivindt@ulrik.uio.no>
>Div. of General Physiology, Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Oslo

Looks like Dr. Toien (?) is trying to adjust a watch with a sledgehammer.
Real-time data-acquisition systems are 'REAL TIME SYSTEMS', and real time
systems generally _are_not_suited_to_ multi-tasking.  If you want real
time data acquisition, you should use an operating system more conducive
to real-time programming.

Pardon me if I seem harsh, but each operating system has its purpose, and
has things that it is and is not suited for.  OS/2 is multi-tasking, and
therefore is not suited for (very many) real-time problems.
! Adam Goldberg           !       *         ! "It's simple! Even a PASCAL     !
! cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu !       *         !  programmer could do it!"       !

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr23.002101.14336@amd.com>, phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
> bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:
> >the marketplace).  The high end is already owned by things like NeXT,
> >and Unix with Xwindows and Motif.  OS/2 V2.0 won't run on anything
>
> Get real. Who do you think will have shrink wrapped software first,
> OS/2, which MS is pushing, or Unix, which (somebody?) is pushing.

I'm not so sure Microsoft is pushing OS/2 all that hard.  But
not too many years ago they were pushing Xenix as a high end
solution ... which didn't make very many shrink wrapped apps
appear for it 8-).

It's possible that talking about which of these systems will
have shrink wrapped software first is talking about the null
set.  I'm not at all sure that whether software is shrink
wrapped is the be-all and end-all, especially for high-end
software.  Even now for DOS, there are plenty of high-end
packages that you rarely or never see on the shelf - the
things you see on the shelves tend to be the very most popular
(and relatively inexpensive) packages.  The problem with OS/2
is that that niche may become permanently occupied by enhanced
versions of Windows, which we know are going to appear over
the next couple of years.  From what I've heard of Windows 4.0,
(due out in around a year or 18 months or so), it's not clear
that there will be much room left for OS/2 between the Windows
and Xwindows territory.

In other words, the rest of the world - even within Microsoft -
isn't sitting still waiting to see what's going to happen with
OS/2.  If it takes OS/2 (or any other product for that matter)
too long to get its act together, other products will take its
place and it will miss its market window.  Permanently.

I don't know if it's too late for OS/2, but it's getting late,
and it will have to overcome both whatever technical problems
may remain (it appears to be doing this, just taking a long
time doing so), and overcome its poor perception in the market
before something else comes along that doesn't have its bad
reputation.

I certainly wouldn't bet my life on the outcome either way.

					Bruce C. Wright

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/23/91)

>This has an amazing effect on perceived performance.  This type
>of handling cannot be provided under Unix because there *is* no single
>"foreground" process; even if you're running X-windows and you see
>that window A is obviously your "foreground" process, there may some
>flunky logged in over the serial port running a nuclear reactor
>simulator that is not nice(1)'d.  This happens even on the high end
>Unix boxes running X-windows.

Unless you're running a Next, which does give the foreground
priority.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) (04/24/91)

There was a suggestion that real time hardware management should not be done
with a multi-tasking operating system.  While I perhaps understand the reasons
for this (mainly to do with interrupt performance and timeliness), I would like
to point out that there are cases where real time stuff is useful under a
multi-tasking system, and in fact is already being done.

There is a company called Inotek which markets CIMple Data, a real time data
collection program which interfaces with an ARTIC card in the PC that in turn
interfaces with a variety of data collection terminals such as the IBM 7527.
This program runs under OS/2 and will communicate with other programs such as
Excel and SAS via DDE.  This last facility allows for the user to create data
handling scripts in a familiar language.  By the way, I don't work for these
guys, I just saw a demo at the last SUGI.

My understanding of the way that device drivers are dealt with in OS/2 is that
you can install them at different levels depending on your requirement.  If
all you want to do is take over port n and use it in a single program (even
under DOS compatiblity), you can issue a MODE command which will give you
exclusive control and do whatever you want with it.  If you want to provide
many simultaneous programs with access to the device, you will have to write
a driver which lives a little closer to the kernel.  One thing to remember
while evaluating OS/2: it is much better than Windows at interrupt handling
and task switching because it doesn't need to switch back to real mode every
time it needs DOS-like facilities.  As for allowing OS/2 to step out of the
way when games are being played, if the game will absolutely not run in
compatibility mode one can always install dual boot and switch back to
native DOS (or boot from a floppy :-).

Barry

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/24/91)

draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) writes:
>Isn't the purpose of the SPARCstation to provide a compatible hardware
>platfore which would enable the use of shrink-wrap software?

Where is all this great, cheap, software going to come from?

Sun? ha ha.

Interactive, who wants about $2,000 just for an operating system?
SCO, who wants even more?

Some places it won't come from: Microsoft, DEC, HP, MIPS, Apple, etc.

--
	It doesn't have to be perfect to be useful.

nataraj@celebrity.Eng.Sun.COM (Nataraj) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.025053.956@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) writes:

|> >Get real. Who do you think will have shrink wrapped software first,
|> >OS/2, which MS is pushing, or Unix, which (somebody?) is pushing.

   What is OS/2 2.0 and what is OS/2 NT which MS is supposedly developing.
Is it like the Unix split (SysV and BSD )??

nataraj/.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/24/91)

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:
>I'm not so sure Microsoft is pushing OS/2 all that hard.  But

One thing I should point out is that I am talking about OS/2 as the
same thing as the next generation of Windows. Not the lame OS/2 1.1 or
even OS/2 2.0, but the "NT" OS that MS talks about.

>The problem with OS/2
>is that that niche may become permanently occupied by enhanced
>versions of Windows, which we know are going to appear over

That won't hurt MS NT, it will run Win binaries too.

>the next couple of years.  From what I've heard of Windows 4.0,
>(due out in around a year or 18 months or so), it's not clear
>that there will be much room left for OS/2 between the Windows
>and Xwindows territory.

That's the point, that Win and OS/2 will become the same thing.

--
	It doesn't have to be perfect to be useful.

gumby@cs.mcgill.ca (Phil PRANNO) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr22.043548.13530@rti.rti.org> bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:

>Don't be so hard on yourself - it isn't a bad example at all.  Doug,
>you just don't know what you're talking about.  Writing communications
>software is one of the things I do for a living;  people pay me lots
>of money to get these things to talk to each other.  Doug's claims
>struck me as just blowing so much smoke, so on a whim I fired up a
>9600 baud download on the MicroVAX II class machine I was running
>on, and found it took just about 25% of the CPU.  Now the MicroVAX II
>is nowhere near a 33MHz 386 - it's probably not even the equivalent
>of a 16MHz 386SX in terms of raw CPU power;  it doesn't even have a
>memory cache.  I'm not sure offhand what the proper figure ought to
>be (most of my comm software is written for VAX machines), but 30%
>of the CPU is way too high.
>
>Properly written communications software on a modern operating system
>doesn't _have_ any "wait loops" in the sense of the traditional DOS
>busy wait polling loop - it goes to sleep waiting for an event of

  Well Bruce, windows 3.0 is NOT an OS, it is a message-passing
window manager FOR DOS!!!  By definition it is not as efficient
as a true multitasking system.  Maybe you don't know what you're
talking about :-)

P.S.  Note the smiley, it is used to indicate humour, you should learn to
use it.  Your remark in the second sentence above sounds very
condescending (net-etiquette is important...)

>						Bruce C. Wright

-Phil

--
* Phil Pranno              |                 |  /\  Shred your      *
* gumby@cs.mcgill.ca       | "I feel a song  |  | \    head 'till   *

oivindt@bio.uio.no (Oivind Toien) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.180427.15016@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) writes:

> There was a suggestion that real time hardware management should not be done
> with a multi-tasking operating system.  While I perhaps understand the reasons
> for this (mainly to do with interrupt performance and timeliness), I would like
> to point out that there are cases where real time stuff is useful under a
> multi-tasking system, and in fact is already being done.

> There is a company called Inotek which markets CIMple Data, a real time data
> collection program which interfaces with an ARTIC card in the PC that in turn
> interfaces with a variety of data collection terminals such as the IBM 7527.
> This program runs under OS/2 and will communicate with other programs such as
> Excel and SAS via DDE.  This last facility allows for the user to create data
> handling scripts in a familiar language.  By the way, I don't work for these
> guys, I just saw a demo at the last SUGI.

> My understanding of the way that device drivers are dealt with in OS/2 is that
> you can install them at different levels depending on your requirement.  If
> all you want to do is take over port n and use it in a single program (even
> under DOS compatiblity), you can issue a MODE command which will give you
> exclusive control and do whatever you want with it.  If you want to provide
> many simultaneous programs with access to the device, you will have to write
> a driver which lives a little closer to the kernel.  One thing to remember
> while evaluating OS/2: it is much better than Windows at interrupt handling
> and task switching because it doesn't need to switch back to real mode every
> time it needs DOS-like facilities.  As for allowing OS/2 to step out of the
> way when games are being played, if the game will absolutely not run in
> compatibility mode one can always install dual boot and switch back to
> native DOS (or boot from a floppy :-).

> Barry

The kind of application I am presently considering porting to windows
(and which later may then run under OS2) uses *one* real-time procedure;
an interrupt procedure that reads an A/D converter and stores the data in
a buffer. It is the triggering of this interrupt procedure that needs
to have priority in real-time. I am here talking about sampling rates
of 1-200 Hz, but in a few instances up to 2000Hz for short periods of
time.

The rest of the program then do the data-processing, graphic display,
and input of comments. This part do not need to be real time, it
only needs to catch up with the actual sampling over a time period
of a few seconds to prevent overrun of the data-buffer.

The little I have seen of windows-programming up to now, gives me too the
impression that this latter part can work better with an object-oriented
graphic interface. The data then could be processed in different ways
in different windows. One window could calculate and display averaged
data, while another could display graphics of each sampled point. And
the program would be much easyer to use.

What concerns me a little is that the timer-ticks in windows in some
cases stops (for instance when pressing the title-bar to move a
window). So it may be risky (and to slow) to use these. If interrupt
procedures works under OS2 and windows, the whole thing might be
possible. If high-resolution timers which could be given priority exists
in OS2, it would be even better.
From the foregoing discussion it seems to mee that Unix is not the
environment to do this kind of stuff (except the Next).

Oivind
--

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.032647.16025@cs.mcgill.ca>, gumby@cs.mcgill.ca (Phil PRANNO) writes:
> In article <1991Apr22.043548.13530@rti.rti.org> bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:
> >Properly written communications software on a modern operating system
> >doesn't _have_ any "wait loops" in the sense of the traditional DOS
> >busy wait polling loop - it goes to sleep waiting for an event of
>
>   Well Bruce, windows 3.0 is NOT an OS, it is a message-passing
> window manager FOR DOS!!!  By definition it is not as efficient
> as a true multitasking system.  Maybe you don't know what you're
> talking about :-)

You can (and probably should) conclude from my remark that
I don't consider Windows (even V3.0) to be a particularly
"modern" operating system (possibly not an operating system
at all, though the distinction can become somewhat philosophical
when you're talking about things that so completely change the
behavior of the underlying (overlying?) system - consider HASP
or VM for the IBM mainframes).  Windows still betrays its roots
from the early 80's - even then, in many respects, it wasn't
really very sophisticated for its time.

> P.S.  Note the smiley, it is used to indicate humour, you should learn
> to use it.  Your remark in the second sentence above [deleted - bcw]
> sounds very condescending (net-etiquette is important...)

The previous thread had struck me as rather rude, and
came from someone who has somewhat of a history of
being rude.  I was feeling somewhat annoyed at that
point and decided to be rude back ... in other words
the condescension was purely intentional.

I don't bite very often ... only when I have a specific
purpose in mind.

					Bruce C. Wright

In article <1991Apr24.015441.11392@amd.com>, phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
> bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) writes:
> >the next couple of years.  From what I've heard of Windows 4.0,
> >(due out in around a year or 18 months or so), it's not clear
> >that there will be much room left for OS/2 between the Windows
> >and Xwindows territory.
>
> That's the point, that Win and OS/2 will become the same thing.

It's not quite so clear from I've seen that Windows and OS/2
will become the same thing.  There is talk of incorporating
some things from OS/2 into Windows (HPFS, pre-emptive multi-
tasking, etc), but I've not seen anything from any source
that I'd consider very reliable that they would become the
_exact_ _same_ _thing_.

If they did, then the OS would be in the rather difficult
position that it would be cutting off the 286's entirely.
Now I'd be the first to agree that the 386 is a better chip,
but if support is to be dropped for the 286, it seems to me
that this is just cutting off your nose to spite your face -
dropping the 286 is OK for a higher-end OS, but many Windows
machines are fast 286's, not 386's;  Windows is aimed more at
medium-level systems (though it will work on the low and high
ends as well).

I'm not sure this would be such a great idea.

					Bruce C. Wright

brian@king.csd.mot.com (04/24/91)

draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) writes:

>>>the marketplace).  The high end is already owned by things like NeXT,
>>>and Unix with Xwindows and Motif.  OS/2 V2.0 won't run on anything
>>Get real. Who do you think will have shrink wrapped software first,
>>OS/2, which MS is pushing, or Unix, which (somebody?) is pushing.

>Isn't the purpose of the SPARCstation to provide a compatible hardware
>platfore which would enable the use of shrink-wrap software?

No, the purpose of the SPARCstation is to sell Sun computers. :-)

Really, the 88open consortium is way ahead of MIPS, SPARC International,
Intel, ACE, et al, in creating platform and application standards which
enable shrink-wrapped UNIX software which is independent of hardware and
system architecture.

This isn't to say that the new OS/2 will or will not be successful, or
anything else for that matter.  It's just a plug for 88open and a slam
for SPARC. :-)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (04/25/91)

<1) Disk *writes* can be buffered under HPFS.  As far as I know, all
<   the DOS disk cachers under FAT are write-through, so that you can
<   turn your machine off immediately after doing a write without losing

Most DOS disk cachers I have used include staged/delayed writes to disk,
including re-ordering for optimal access in some, and elimination of redundant
writes in others.  But perhaps HPFS has other benefits besides this.

[...]

The "smart" method, used by DesqView-386 and perhaps others, is to simply use
the 386 virtual memory to remap "normal" memory in place of the task's
apparent "video memory", and let it write away at will.  The supervisory code
periodically refreshes the window on the "real" screen from the virtual windows
of each such nasty program.
--
MLORD@BNR.CA  Ottawa, Ontario *** Personal views only ***
begin 644 NOTSHARE.COM ; Free MS-DOS utility - use instead of SHARE.EXE

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) (04/25/91)

I'm posting the following for Larry and his broken news-reader.

  My system has two ways to follow-up on the net, RN and GNEWS.  Both are
  currently broke.  As a result I am replying directly to you.  If you think
  this is of interest could you post it?

  With Borland Pascal for Windows, Borland C++, and Borland ObjectVision there
  are several under $500.00 ways to develop for Windows.  What is the price and
  options for OS2 V2?  Much higher?  Fewer tools available?

  +-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
  |                                   |                                        |
  | Larry Maturo                      | Opinions expressed herein must be      |
  | Applied Research Laboratories     | yours, neither I nor my employer have  |
  | University of Texas at Austin     | any.                                   |
  | P.O. Box 8029                     +----------------------------------------+
  | Austin, Texas 78713-8029          |                                        |
  |                                   | When you're as great as I am it's hard |
  | larry @titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu | to be modest, but I succeed where      |
  |                                   | others fail.                           |
  +-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
--

jbhuber@IASTATE.EDU (Huber Joseph Blaine) (04/25/91)

In article <cs352a41.672418953@zaphod>, cs352a41@cs.iastate.edu (Adam
Goldberg) writes:
> oivindt@bio.uio.no (Oivind Toien) writes:
>
> >Real-time data-acquisition systems generally tends to use things
like
> >interrupt handling, DMA-access, reprogramming of PC-timers and
direct
> >interaction with A/D card buffers. Will this work, and if not: Does
> >OS2 provide library routines that replaces these kind of functions?
>
> >--
> >Oivind Toien   <oivindt@ulrik.uio.no>
> >Div. of General Physiology, Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Oslo
>
> Looks like Dr. Toien (?) is trying to adjust a watch with a
sledgehammer.
> Real-time data-acquisition systems are 'REAL TIME SYSTEMS', and real
time
> systems generally _are_not_suited_to_ multi-tasking.  If you want
real
> time data acquisition, you should use an operating system more
conducive
> to real-time programming.
>
> Pardon me if I seem harsh, but each operating system has its purpose,
and
> has things that it is and is not suited for.  OS/2 is multi-tasking,
and
> therefore is not suited for (very many) real-time problems.
> --

I disagree with Mr. Goldberg.  In our particular setting the pc is used
for many purposes:  taking real
time data, data analysis, writing reports, publishing graphs,
spreadsheets, MS-windows, etc.  Essentially, the same uses as any body
elses pc, except for the addition of real time data acquisition.  Hence,
we can benefit from multitasking as well as the next user.  However,
what a drag it would be if we had to carry two operating systems on the
machine simply because OS/2 can't handle real time data acquisition.  In
fact, in our research, the experiment may take up to an hour to come to
steady state.  It would be great to have the data acquisition program
running in one window so that I could periodically monitor the progress
of the experiment, while performing data analysis or some other task in
another window.

Joe Huber
Dept. of Mech. Egr.
Iowa State University
jbhuber@iastate.edu

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/25/91)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>The "smart" method, used by DesqView-386 and perhaps others, is to simply use
>the 386 virtual memory to remap "normal" memory in place of the task's
>apparent "video memory", and let it write away at will.  The supervisory code
>periodically refreshes the window on the "real" screen from the virtual windows
>of each such nasty program.

Except that they refuse to support Super-VGA. Not that it couldn't be
done, they're just too lazy.

--
	It doesn't have to be perfect to be useful.

rob@pcad.UUCP (Ralph Brown) (04/25/91)

In article <6567@bwdls58.bnr.ca>, mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:

> <But trapping individual machine language instructions that access video
> <memory would be incredibly slow no matter how smart you did it.  Windows 3.0
>
> The "smart" method, used by DesqView-386 and perhaps others, is to simply use
> the 386 virtual memory to remap "normal" memory in place of the task's
> apparent "video memory", and let it write away at will.  The supervisory code
> periodically refreshes the window on the "real" screen from the virtual windows
> of each such nasty program.

For graphics this doesn't really work since EGA and VGA use 4 (or more for
SVGA) bits per pixel and a simple graphics processor to load the data. Thus
what appears to be a simple memory write to a memory manager is really
more like an IO operation to a device register. It's necessary to know
how the graphics processor is set up to know what is actually being done
with a write to graphics memory. Each memory address is really affecting
several color planes and/or a mask of bits, so just mapping the video
memory into another RAM block won't capture what is happening on the screen.

Ralph

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (04/27/91)

The best way for Micro$oft/IBM to guarantee acceptance of OS/2 2.0 is
to avoid calling it OS/2.  Why not just call it Windows 4.0?

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/27/91)

>> That's the point, that Win and OS/2 will become the same thing.

>It's not quite so clear from I've seen that Windows and OS/2
>will become the same thing.  There is talk of incorporating
>some things from OS/2 into Windows (HPFS, pre-emptive multi-
>tasking, etc), but I've not seen anything from any source
>that I'd consider very reliable that they would become the
>_exact_ _same_ _thing_.

Well, Windows is supposed to be the new front end
(or "environment") to OS/2, as it is for DOS. So
it'll run Windows for DOS binaries under OS/2. I
even heard a Microsoft sales rep say that they were
dropping Presentation Manager in favor of Windows
for OS/2.. though what the difference is I can't
say (the old Windows 2.2 was actually called "Pre-
sentation Manager" on the installation disks).

How about this rumor that OS/2 will be ported
over to the 68000 series processors? That even-
tually we'd be running Windows binaries on Macs?