[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] help with formatting diskettes

6500erpa@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Eric Palacio) (04/24/91)

Hi,
Here's my problem:
Every time I try to format a DD diskette in drive b:
(1.44MB, 3 1/2") giving the "format b:" command I get the
following message:
Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable
Format failure .
I am still able to read/write to any diskette on that drive,
DD or HD, and format HD diskettes with no problem.
Besides, when I format DD diskettes from within WINDOWs 3.0,
it works!
I tried  adding a /4 switch when I give the dos command,
but i got the following message: "Parameters not supported
by this drive etc.."
What am I doing wrong?
My system:
80286/12MHz
DOS 3.3
20 MB hard drive.
1 floppy 5 1/4"
1 floppy 3 1/2" (HD)
I will appreciate any help.
Thank you
Eric Palacio 6500erpa@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (04/25/91)

Try

format b: /n:9/t:80

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (04/26/91)

In article <10779@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500erpa@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Eric Palacio) writes:
>Hi,
>Here's my problem:
>Every time I try to format a DD diskette in drive b:
>(1.44MB, 3 1/2") giving the "format b:" command I get the
>following message:
>Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable
>Format failure .
>I am still able to read/write to any diskette on that drive,
>DD or HD, and format HD diskettes with no problem.

The defaults used by FORMAT is to format HD diskettes on 1.44Meg drives.
The options you should use to format DD diskettes are

    format b: /f:720 (for DOS 4.01)

or

    format b: /t:80 /n:9 (for DOS 3.3)

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300

splin@hafez.berkeley.edu (Steven Lin) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr25.171757.9078@meadow.uucp> py@meadow.UUCP (Peter Yeung) writes:
>In article <10779@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500erpa@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Eric Palacio) writes:
>>Hi,
>>Here's my problem:
>>Every time I try to format a DD diskette in drive b:
>>(1.44MB, 3 1/2") giving the "format b:" command I get the
>>following message:
>>Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable
>>Format failure .
>>I am still able to read/write to any diskette on that drive,
>>DD or HD, and format HD diskettes with no problem.

I also had the same problem until I discovered that my disk cache (Hyperdisk)
was causing the problem.  The only solution I could find was to disable
caching of the floppies, maintaining caching of the hard drive.  No big
loss, since I rarely ever use floppies.  Oh, by the way, the floppy drive
was a 1.44 Mb Sony 3 1/2".  Hyperdisk doesn't have any problem caching
my 1.2 Mb Teac 5 1/4".  Unfortunately I couldn't get Hyperdisk to only
cache the Teac.  Hyperdisk says you can select which floppies to cache and
which not (using the df: option), but I couldn't get it to work.
I had to disable caching of both floppies before formatting would work
flawlessly.