[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 486sx

nataraj@celebrity.Eng.Sun.COM (Nataraj) (04/30/91)

How long does it take for the smalltime-cloners to come out with
a machine after the big companies like IBM,Compaq,AST
come out with a machine based on a new Intel Chip?

I am specifically interested in the 486sx story.

nataraj/.

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (05/02/91)

/ nataraj@celebrity.Eng.Sun.COM (Nataraj) /  9:46 am  Apr 30, 1991 / writes:

> How long does it take for the smalltime-cloners to come out with
> a machine after the big companies like IBM,Compaq,AST
> come out with a machine based on a new Intel Chip?

According to a local newspaper ads. ACER claimed that they are the first
one (in the world ? or in Singapore) to come out with a 486sx based machine.
It was published a few days ago.

> I am specifically interested in the 486sx story.

One rumour quarter claims that the 486sx's are actually 486 with defective
math unit which is disabled. Any truth in this ???

Regards,     ___o``\________________________________________________ ___ __ _ _
Peter Lim.   V````\  @ @ . .. ... .- -> 76 MIPS at under US$20K !!   --- -- - -
                  /.------------------------------------------------ === == = =
             >--_//      . .. ... .- -> 57 MIPS at under US$12K !!
                `'       . If you guessed SUN, IBM or DEC, you are wrong !

E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,
                                             Singapore   0410.

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (05/03/91)

In article <3360023@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com> plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) writes:
> / nataraj@celebrity.Eng.Sun.COM (Nataraj) /  9:46 am  Apr 30, 1991 / writes:
>
> > How long does it take for the smalltime-cloners to come out with
> > a machine after the big companies like IBM,Compaq,AST
> > come out with a machine based on a new Intel Chip?
> >
> According to a local newspaper ads. ACER claimed that they are the first
> one (in the world ? or in Singapore) to come out with a 486sx based machine.
> It was published a few days ago.
>

> > I am specifically interested in the 486sx story.
> >
> One rumour quarter claims that the 486sx's are actually 486 with defective
> math unit which is disabled. Any truth in this ???

  I don't know about the defective FPU part, but the 486SX is a full 486 with
the FPU disabled.  What's funny is that if you want a FPU for the 486SX you
purchase the 487 which is a true 486 chip!  When inserted the 487 acts as both
the CPU and FPU and disables the 486SX chip.  The list price I've seen for the
487 is around $800, while the 486SX costs around $250-300 (in quantities of
course).
Disclaimer: I don't speak for my company or myself.

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com