[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Environment variable space on 386

debbie@das (Debbie Callahan) (03/29/91)

My boss has a 386 clone running DOS 3.30.  He has about 10 environment
variables that he wants to set in autoexec.bat, but when he does this
he sometimes gets an error message about not enough environment space
and some applications act strange.  Is there a way to increase the
amount of environment space?

Please respond by mail if possible.
Debbie Callahan      debbie@das.llnl.gov   or   debbie@[128.115.41.1]

mwood@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU (Mike Wood) (05/04/91)

In article <94167@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, debbie@das (Debbie Callahan) writes:

>My boss has a 386 clone running DOS 3.30.  He has about 10 environment
>variables that he wants to set in autoexec.bat, but when he does this
>he sometimes gets an error message about not enough environment space
>and some applications act strange.  Is there a way to increase the
>amount of environment space?
>
>Please respond by mail if possible.
>Debbie Callahan      debbie@das.llnl.gov   or   debbie@[128.115.41.1]
I had the same problem with some of my "power users" (or so they think) - I
found that by including the following as the last statement of the config.sys
did the trick:

    shell=c:\command.com c:\dos /e:256 /p

The /e switch is the important part, as it is what redefines the environment
area of dos.  I think I found this trick on this group.

Mike 8)
Mike Wood
MWOOD@OAVAX.CSUCHICO.EDU