[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Memory managment for 286 machine

L.Chung@ee.surrey.ac.uk (L N Chung) (05/03/91)

We have a 286 machine with C&T chip set, and 5 MB of memory. Currently it is
running DrDos ver 5, and 4dos 3.03, himem.sys and windows 3. We are able to
hiload all the other device drivers. What I want to do is to set aside some
of the 5 MB memory as expanded memory for programs like word perfect and
Quattro Pro.

What is the best way of doing it? I have tried using the ems40 package to
simulate expanded memory, but Word Perfect doesn't run with it.  Can I
set everything to expanded memory using C&T driver, and simulated extended
memory insteaded? What tools do I need for this?

Is there any reliable ems, xms testing programs around?

I think we have a 212B chip on the motherboard, but the bios setup keep
thinking it is a 212. Does this mathers? Anybody got any experience using
it?

Sorry it is another memory related question. I will get round to upgrading
to 386 one day...

Many Thanks.

L.N. Chung			Dept of Elec. Eng, University of Surrey,
(ees1lc@ee.surrey.ac.uk)	Guildford, Surrey, GU2 5XH. UK.
(l.chung@ee.surrey.ac.uk)	PHONE: +44 483 571281  FAX: +44 483 34139

Greg.Smith@p0.f301.n5000.z200.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (05/04/91)

In a message to All <04 May 91 04:06> L N Chung wrote:

 LNC> From: L.Chung@ee.surrey.ac.uk (L N Chung)
 LNC> Date: 3 May 91 15:25:46 GMT
 LNC> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc

 LNC> We have a 286 machine with C&T chip
 LNC> set, and 5 MB of memory. Currently it is
 LNC> running DrDos ver 5, and 4dos 3.03, himem.sys and windows 3. We are able to
 LNC> hiload all the other device drivers.
 LNC> What I want to do is to set aside some
 LNC> of the 5 MB memory as expanded memory for programs like word perfect and
 LNC> Quattro Pro.

 LNC> What is the best way of doing it? I have tried using the ems40 package to
 LNC> simulate expanded memory, but Word Perfect doesn't run with it.  Can I
 LNC> set everything to expanded memory using C&T driver, and simulated extended
 LNC> memory insteaded? What tools do I need for this?

 LNC> Is there any reliable ems, xms testing programs around?

Well, it will take some experimentation to avoid memory confilcts, but in the Advanced CMOS setup, try setting the amount of EMS register and the EMS enable register so that only 2 Megs in EMS.

Greg.Smith@bohemia.metronet.org

---
 * Origin: Avatar or bust! (Quick 200:5000/301.0)

--
Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
UUCP: ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!301.0!Greg.Smith