[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Windows 3.0 bitmaps

pat@convex.com (Pat Peters) (05/08/91)

I'm running windows 3.0 and have noticed that there are some bitmaps
available to put on the desktop background.  All files end in a '.bmp'
extention.  Coming from the land of Unix, I have access to all sorts
of bit maps that are more entertaining than the ones supplied by
Microsoft.  Does anyone know what format these .bmp files are in
and if there are utilities to convert from one of the many more
common bitmap formats (gif, etc) to a .bmp?

Thanks

--
Pat, x4706

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May08.014402.9163@convex.com> pat@convex.com (Pat Peters) writes:

   I'm running windows 3.0 and have noticed that there are some bitmaps
   available to put on the desktop background.  All files end in a '.bmp'
   extention.  Coming from the land of Unix, I have access to all sorts
   of bit maps that are more entertaining than the ones supplied by
   Microsoft.  Does anyone know what format these .bmp files are in
   and if there are utilities to convert from one of the many more
   common bitmap formats (gif, etc) to a .bmp?

   Thanks

   --
   Pat, x4706

There are a load of utilities to convert from one form to another.
One place to start is cica.cica.indiana.edu.  This is a windows 3.0
archive site.  The form of the bitmaps is described in the SDK
documentation.  The books is called something like Programming
Reference Manual.

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem

esl1_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Eric Lambert) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May08.014402.9163@convex.com>,
pat@convex.com (Pat Peters) writes:

[Question on bitmaps deleted]

>Pat, x4706

Bitmaps files can be used on the desktop by putting the files into the
/windows directory.  In Windows, go to the Control Panel and open
Desktop.  There is an option in there to change the bitmap.  There are
many good bitmaps out there in many FTP sites such as SIMTEL-20
(or WUARCHIVE), grape, snake, etc. etc.  There are also programs
available to convert .GIF and others to .BMP...look for them at FTP sites
too.

=-= Eric =-=

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May08.014402.9163@convex.com> pat@convex.com (Pat Peters) writes:
> Microsoft.  Does anyone know what format these .bmp files are in
> and if there are utilities to convert from one of the many more
> common bitmap formats (gif, etc) to a .bmp?

Utilities that come to mind are GrafWorks, Wingif, and Gif2Bmp.  GrafWorks
handle various formats besides BMP and Gif, but only Wingif will run under
Windows.  All of these are, I believe, available at cica.cica.indiana.edu.

Good luck

Disclaimer:  The opinions stated above are not mine.  In fact,
	     I don't know where they came from.  It scares me
	     sometimes.     -Mike  (daneman@sw.mcc.com)