[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Summary - Emulating 370 on PC

sukumar@emx.utexas.edu (Sukumar Rathnam) (05/11/91)

Subject: Re: 370 assembler to PC transalator

Originally posted to
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm370,comp.os.msdos.programmer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc

Enclosed is a summary of responses to a request on IBM PC programs
that can emulate a 370. Thanks to all those who responded

Sukumar Rathnam

sukumar@emx.utexas.edu

From wilker@noether.math.purdue.edu Fri Apr 26 15:08:14 1991
There is actually a 370 emulator that runs on a PC.
I have not tried it with programs directly from a main frame.
It may be on Simtel20.
Clarence Wilkerson

From @s.ms.uky.edu:styer@ms.uky.edu Mon Apr 29 08:06:31 1991
I'm sure others will say this also, but a 370 simulator was posted to the net
not too long ago.  I saved it, but haven't tried it out.  You also might be
able to talk some macro assemblers into doing the job.

From sco!md@ucscc.UCSC.EDU Mon Apr 29 18:00:11 1991

Try calling Micro Focus - they have done a lot of work on
creating IBM VS Cobol compatible Cobol compilers for the PC
and I read somewhere that they also had a product that could
handle 370 assembler (effectively a cross-compiler that would
compile 370 assembler into Intel 8086 assembler, plus the
appropriate support routines to create an IBM-like environment)

From MDCBBS.COM!CAMPBELL%DEV8J@MDCBBS.COM Mon Apr 29 19:03:05 1991

Beleive it or not, I used to have an IBM 370 emulator for the IBM PC.  It would
allow you to run 370 Assembly on the PC.  I realize this is NOT a converter,
but perhaps with the info on the author you might be able to write for help
with your conversion problem - as the program no doubt is converting 370
instructions into a set of (hopefully) equivalent PC instructions, but goes a
step further by executing them.

You would probably suffer from poor optimizations and thus poor performance
(and the PC doesn't hold a candle to 370 performance anyway) but if these
aren't heavy number pounding applications maybe this will work.

There is a slight problem with this... I remember having the program about 4-5
years ago and I think it was on my original PC (which I've since sold for a
PS/2).  So the program may not be on any of my 3.5" floppies - what's more many
of my old 5.25" floppies are gone now, and as if that weren't bad enough, the
one I have left are 2500 miles away so basically if I don't have it with me,
(the odds of this aren't very good) then finding it is nearly impossible.

BUT... there were a limited number of BBS systems that I used (mostly just 2)
one has since shut down, but not before merging it's entire library with the
other BBS.  There's a small chance this system *might* still have the program.

I realize this is not tremendously helpful to you, but I'll see what I can do.

	-Tim

	  In real life:  Tim Campbell - Electronic Data Systems Corp.
     Usenet:  campbell@dev8.mdcbbs.com   @ McDonnell Douglas M&E - Cypress, CA
       also:  tcampbel@einstein.eds.com  @ EDS - Troy, MI
 CompuServe:  71631,654	 	 (alias  71631.654@compuserve.com)

From naitc!nis.naitc.com!pcserver2.naitc.com!dar-18.naitc.com!salbrech@uunet.UU.NET Thu May  2 13:43:24 1991

PC/370 v4.2 is an IBM/370 cross assembler and emulator.  It requires
an IBM PC(family) w/256KB and MS-DOS v2.0 or later.

Look in the cbip archives on wuarchive.wustl.edu.

*) Steve Albrecht =/= Nielsen Advanced Information Technology Center *)
salbrech@nis.naitc.com    naitc!salbrech@uunet.uu.net    CIS 73657.1342

From utep-vaxa!pries@cs.utexas.edu Sat May  4 13:27:43 1991

I have used a 370 emulator called something like 370vmpc.arc.  I downloaded
my copy from Norm Patriquin's BBS.  A more recent copy is available on
CompuServe.  Use GO IBMFF and use the file finder to look for 370*.arc.  This
is the last shareware version before being acquired by Micro Focus, I think.
Hope this helps a little bit.

Mr. Kim Pries 72730.3131@compuserve.com

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (05/12/91)

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [192.88.110.20]

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.PGMUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
PC370V42.ZIP  B  305558  910306  PC/370 v4.2 IBM 370 assembler and emulator

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives  -  [192.88.110.20]