[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need UNZIP that can make directories

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (05/09/91)

I've been unpacking the DJ GCC and getting through it, but what a pain.

It's a .ZIP file, and my copy of UNZIP.EXE cannot make the directories
needed when the zip file specifies something like include/foo.h

It is probably that pesky '/' instead of '\', which probably exists
because the archive was made on a *NIX system.

Anybody have a better UNZIP, or a better solution?
--
Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp@nrc.com )
voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/09/91)

In article <1346@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:

   I've been unpacking the DJ GCC and getting through it, but what a pain.

   It's a .ZIP file, and my copy of UNZIP.EXE cannot make the directories
   needed when the zip file specifies something like include/foo.h

   It is probably that pesky '/' instead of '\', which probably exists
   because the archive was made on a *NIX system.

   Anybody have a better UNZIP, or a better solution?
   --
   Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman.UUCP, kevin%kosman.uucp@nrc.com )
   voice: 805-984-8042 Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035
   Non-Disclaimer: my boss is me, and he stands behind everything I say.

With the right combinations, pkunzip will do it.  Just type pkunzip
and read the options.

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losin' my religion -- rem

roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (05/12/91)

In article <1346@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:

>It's a .ZIP file, and my copy of UNZIP.EXE cannot make the directories
>needed when the zip file specifies something like include/foo.h
>
>Anybody have a better UNZIP, or a better solution?

Pick up a copy of unzip401.{arc|tar-z} at Simtel ([misc.unix], [misc.vaxvms],
probably [msdos.zip], possibly elsewhere), or wait about two days for v4.1
to be released.  MSDOS/Mac/Atari/VMS/OS2/etc executables will be made available
at that time as well, and one of the MS-DOS versions will be posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc shortly thereafter.

Btw, DOS zipfiles as well as Unix ones store paths with '/' rather than '\'.
Your problem is that unzip doesn't recreate the directory structure by default.
You need to unzip with the "-d" option to do that.

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (05/12/91)

In article <1346@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>It's a .ZIP file, and my copy of UNZIP.EXE cannot make the directories
>needed when the zip file specifies something like include/foo.h
>
>It is probably that pesky '/' instead of '\', which probably exists
>because the archive was made on a *NIX system.

Unlikely.  The "/" and "\" are equivalent to DOS in path names.  It's
only the pathetic excuse for a shell COMMAND.COM that gets confused by
forward slashes.  Unless UNZIP.EXE is doing something really
brain-damaged like 'system("mkdir ...")' the forward slash shouldn't be
causing your problem.  Even DOS PKZIP uses "/" as the path name
delimiter when creating archives with directories.

>Anybody have a better UNZIP, or a better solution?

"PKUNZIP -d" has always worked for me.  None of the unzip programs I
have used will create directories by default -- perhaps yours requires
a -d switch?
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)