[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Question about memory upgrade on my XT

raj@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Raj Bhandari) (05/04/91)

Hi!
	I have an XT which Norton's SI reveals has a NEC V20 main
processor, with a DTK bios, and 640K RAM. I want to upgrade the memory to
2 or 4 Meg, in preparation for windows or OS/2 v2.0.
	Could someone help me with the cheapest way to do it?
( I opened the box, and there are no slots on the motherboard)
I talked to a computer parts sales guy, and he wondered if I needed
extended or expanded memory!
	Any help would be appreciated, and could you please reply by
e-mail?
		Thanks
		rb

.

--
From the desk of:
	Rajinder Bhandari               (raj@happy.cc.utexas.edu)

Stephen.Atkins@f21.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Stephen Atkins) (05/05/91)

Hello there Raj.  You will probably have to get a memory card.  That is the
only way I know how you can do it on a XT.

Stephen Atkins

--
Stephen Atkins - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!21!Stephen.Atkins

WXS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Bill Smargiassi) (05/06/91)

In article <48394@ut-emx.uucp>, raj@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Raj Bhandari) says:

>        I have an XT which Norton's SI reveals has a NEC V20 main
>processor, with a DTK bios, and 640K RAM. I want to upgrade the memory to
>2 or 4 Meg, in preparation for windows or OS/2 v2.0.

Can't run OS/2 on an XT!

Bill

frank@ut-emx.uucp (Frank Abernathy) (05/07/91)

In article <211.2824F26F@weyr.FIDONET.ORG>, Stephen.Atkins@f21.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Stephen Atkins) writes:
> Hello there Raj.  You will probably have to get a memory card.  That is the
> only way I know how you can do it on a XT.
>
> Stephen Atkins
>
> --
> Stephen Atkins - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
> UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!21!Stephen.Atkins
> Domain: Stephen.Atkins@f21.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG
> Standard Disclaimers Apply...

Sorry, I missed the original post....

If the original poster was trying to get 640K on the
motherboard of a 'true blue' pc/xt 64-256k board;
it CAN BE DONE..

You repopulate the board with 2 rows of 64k and
2 rows of 256k add a 74ls158? (i think,i can verify
chip part number, the socket is already there and
empty) and put in a jumper; the spot is marked on
the motherboard.

If this is what was needed, reply and I'll be happy to
e-mail the 'correct' details.  I'm not at my office
right now.

IF the poster was looking for EXPANDED, you can't do
that on the 'true blue' xt motherboard.

later
frank

jsosa@houligan.encore.com (Joe Sosa) (05/13/91)

frank@ut-emx.uucp (Frank Abernathy) writes:

| In article <211.2824F26F@weyr.FIDONET.ORG>, Stephen.Atkins@f21.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Stephen Atkins) writes:
| > Hello there Raj.  You will probably have to get a memory card.  That is the
| > only way I know how you can do it on a XT.
| >
| > Stephen Atkins
| >
| > --
| > Stephen Atkins - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
| > UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!21!Stephen.Atkins
| > Domain: Stephen.Atkins@f21.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG
| > Standard Disclaimers Apply...
|
| Sorry, I missed the original post....
|
| If the original poster was trying to get 640K on the
| motherboard of a 'true blue' pc/xt 64-256k board;
| it CAN BE DONE..
|
| You repopulate the board with 2 rows of 64k and
| 2 rows of 256k add a 74ls158? (i think,i can verify
| chip part number, the socket is already there and
| empty) and put in a jumper; the spot is marked on
| the motherboard.
|
| If this is what was needed, reply and I'll be happy to
| e-mail the 'correct' details.  I'm not at my office
| right now.

Can you get me the correct details?? Try to email you, but bounced.

Joe Sosa
jsosa@encore.com