[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Spec for DCA file format?

teexand@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Andrew Dawson) (05/08/91)

[Apologies if this has been asked before]

Does anyone out there have any details on DCA file format. This seems to
be commonly used as an export/import format by many PC applications, but I have
yet to find a source of the specification.

Looking at files generated, they appear to be in EBCDIC, but the format is
far from obvious.

Any pointers to online files, books, source code, etc would be much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew.
--
#include <std_disclaimer.h>  /* My brain was swiss-cheesed when I wrote this */
JANET:    andrew@uk.ac.ucl.sm.uxm     UUCP/EARN/BITNET: andrew@uxm.sm.ucl.ac.uk

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.100805.21416@ioe.lon.ac.uk> andrew@uxm.sm.ucl.ac.uk writes:
>[Apologies if this has been asked before]
>
>Does anyone out there have any details on DCA file format. This seems to
>be commonly used as an export/import format by many PC applications, but I have
>yet to find a source of the specification.

Last time I was interested, there was no easily available published
description of the DCA format.  If you *have* to work with it, then
you have to.  But if you *can* aviod doing so, DO.  For a while,
DCA was the closest to a standard interchange format that was
generally available in the world of commercial text processors, but
that throne has now gone to Microsoft's RTF.

Also, NB that XyQuest has now done a deal with IBM so that IBM has full
rights to the next version of XyWrite (version IV).  This is to become
IBM's flagship word processing program, I gather, and will have
built-in facilities to help DisplayWrite users to convert.  DisplayWrite
(can) use DCA (aka RFT, no relation of RTF), and XyWrite's file format
is a sheer joy, and dead easy to work with (it's mostly plain ASCII).
So if you are looking at a big DCA - to - XX translation job, you
might want to wait a few months and look at what comes with XyWrite IV.

Dominik

phn@dde.dk (Per H. Nielsen) (05/14/91)

teexand@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Andrew Dawson) writes:

>Does anyone out there have any details on DCA file format. This seems to
>be commonly used as an export/import format by many PC applications, but I have
>yet to find a source of the specification.

The complete specification for DCA RFT can be found in the IBM publication:

Document Content Architecure:
Revisable-Form-Text Reference
Order No. SC23-0758-1
!   Per H. Nielsen @ Dansk Data Elektronik A/S,                             !