[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Information on use of Netwise RPC

pdd@xdnc2.ICO.OLIVETTI.COM (Paul Downing) (05/07/91)

Query:

    Some collegues are examining the Netwise RPC tool for use on a mixed
    DOS, OS/2, UNIX distributed application.
    They are curious about the capacity and performance of the tool on
    Novell Netware 3.x or Lan Manager 2.X systems where the server
    is either OS/2 or UNIX.
    They seek tales-of-toil from people who have used
    that product on distributed applications on those environments. Any
    comments you have will be welcomed.
    Can you email me, or post a reply to this query?
    Thank you.

       Paul. (pdd@xdnc2.ICO.OLIVETTI.COM)

Bruce_H_Ring@cup.portal.com (05/13/91)

In a posting pdd@xdnc2.ICO.OLIVETTI.COM (Paul Downing) says:

> Some collegues are examining the Netwise RPC tool for
> use on a mixed DOS, OS/2, UNIX distributed application.
> They are curious about the capacity and performance of the
> tool on Novell Netware 3.x or Lan Manager 2.X systems
> where the server is either OS/2 or UNIX.  They seek
> tales-of-toil from people who have used that product on
> distributed applications on those environments.
> Any comments you have will be welcomed.  Can you email me,
> or post a reply to this query?

I am also interested in hearing from anyone who has experience
with Netwise RPC.

Bruce Ring
Gupta Technologies, Inc.
bruce_h_ring@cup.portal.com

kdenning@genesis.Naitc.Com (Karl Denninger) (05/15/91)

In article <42278@cup.portal.com> Bruce_H_Ring@cup.portal.com writes:

>In a posting pdd@xdnc2.ICO.OLIVETTI.COM (Paul Downing) says:
>
>> Some collegues are examining the Netwise RPC tool for
>> use on a mixed DOS, OS/2, UNIX distributed application.
>> They are curious about the capacity and performance of the
>> tool on Novell Netware 3.x or Lan Manager 2.X systems
>> where the server is either OS/2 or UNIX.  They seek
>> tales-of-toil from people who have used that product on
>> distributed applications on those environments.
>> Any comments you have will be welcomed.  Can you email me,
>> or post a reply to this query?
>
>I am also interested in hearing from anyone who has experience
>with Netwise RPC.
>
>Bruce Ring
>Gupta Technologies, Inc.
>bruce_h_ring@cup.portal.com

I have taken their course, and had some hands-on work with the product.

It's REAL nice, folks.  There are some limitations, yes, but not many in
real terms.  You do have to follow reasonable programming practices, but who
doesn't?

It's not a panacea.  It is a very powerful tool that appears to offer you
the ability to develop quite easily for a distributed environment.

I should have some real hands-on experience with it shortly building
distributed applications.  Will post some more when I have it.

--
Karl Denninger - AC Nielsen, Bannockburn IL (708) 317-3285
kdenning@nis.naitc.com

"The most dangerous command on any computer is the carriage return."
Disclaimer:  The opinions here are solely mine and may or may not reflect
  	     those of the company.