[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] WordPerfect and Postscript

fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) (05/02/91)

	Hello.  I am having some problems printing a postscript file and was
wondering if anyone could help me.
	The problem is this: I generate a ps file in wordperfect (dos version)
by writing to disk.  Then I upload the ps file to a unix (sparc) machine which
has an apple laserwriter hook up to it.  I issue the print command and all I
get is one page out of 2 or more pages.  With ps files generated by lotus
freelance the problem is even worse as I get nothing at all.
	Then I decided to try ami pro.  Everything came out perfect.  However,
I would rather not import all my files to ami pro as formating is lost and for
large documents it would be tedious to reformat them.  In addition, ami pro
does not import equations (it has no equation editor of its own anyway).
	I called the tech guys at wordperfect and the only answer they had
was that there might be problems in taking a file from one platform to another
(dos to unix).
	Has anyone encountered problems fo this sort?  Any help is appreciated.
	Please send answers via e-mail to fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu or post.
	Thanks in advanced.

.

sutton@s2.elec.uq.oz (sutton) (05/02/91)

In article <w=2gt.d@rpi.edu>, fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) writes:

> 	Hello.  I am having some problems printing a postscript file and was
> wondering if anyone could help me.
> 	The problem is this: I generate a ps file in wordperfect (dos version)
> by writing to disk.  Then I upload the ps file to a unix (sparc) machine which
> has an apple laserwriter hook up to it.  I issue the print command and all I
> get is one page out of 2 or more pages.  ...

I have had no problems at all doing a similar thing. My undergraduate thesis
was written using Word Perfect (5.1) on a PC. To print it, I output a ps
file, ftp'ed it across to our Unix system (making sure the transfer mode
was binary) and lpr'ed it (to an Apple Laserwriter). Never lost any pages
at all.

Peter Sutton					s1.elec.uq.oz.au
Dept of Electrical Engineering
The University of Queensland	QUEENSLAND    4067    AUSTRALIA

pauld@tcom.stc.co.uk (Paul Davies) (05/15/91)

In article <w=2gt.d@rpi.edu> fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) writes:

>	Hello.  I am having some problems printing a postscript file and was
>wondering if anyone could help me.
>	The problem is this: I generate a ps file in wordperfect (dos version)
>by writing to disk.  Then I upload the ps file to a unix (sparc) machine which
>has an apple laserwriter hook up to it.  I issue the print command and all I
>get is one page out of 2 or more pages.  With ps files generated by lotus
>freelance the problem is even worse as I get nothing at all.
>	Then I decided to try ami pro.  Everything came out perfect.  However,
>I would rather not import all my files to ami pro as formating is lost and for
>large documents it would be tedious to reformat them.  In addition, ami pro
>does not import equations (it has no equation editor of its own anyway).
>	I called the tech guys at wordperfect and the only answer they had
>was that there might be problems in taking a file from one platform to another
>(dos to unix).
>	Has anyone encountered problems fo this sort?  Any help is appreciated.
>	Please send answers via e-mail to fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu or post.
>	Thanks in advanced.
>
>.

I basically also did what you did, WordPerfect (PC) --> SUN --> laserwriter, and
also had a problem. I can't remember whether some or none of the file was
printed but heres what I had to do to get it to work on our set up.

It was solved by simply deleting the additional white space characters in front
of the "%" sign on the very first line of the postscript file. The % must be the
very first charactacter for it to print ok on our SUN/lazerwriter set up.

                Regards
                        Paul

--
 Paul Davies	Network Management Engineering Centre
		STC Telecommunications, Oakleigh Road South

richard@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Richard Begg) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.183903.24551@tcom.stc.co.uk>, pauld@tcom.stc.co.uk (Paul Davies) writes:
|> In article <w=2gt.d@rpi.edu> fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) writes:

[ problems with WP -> SUN -> LW deleted ]

|> I basically also did what you did, WordPerfect (PC) --> SUN --> laserwriter, and
|> also had a problem. I can't remember whether some or none of the file was
|> printed but heres what I had to do to get it to work on our set up.
|>
|> It was solved by simply deleting the additional white space characters in front
|> of the "%" sign on the very first line of the postscript file. The % must be the
|> very first charactacter for it to print ok on our SUN/lazerwriter set up.
|>
|>                 Regards
|>                         Paul
|>

|> --
|>  Paul Davies	Network Management Engineering Centre
|> 		STC Telecommunications, Oakleigh Road South
|> 		New Southgate, London N11 1HB
|>  		email: pauld@tcom.stc.co.uk  Tel: +44 (0)81 945 3605

The problem you are describing may well be caused by lpr's interpretation
of the file... if the %... is not on the first line, lpr will probobaly
not pick the file as postscript.  This can be overridden by using lpr -v
instead.

--
Richard Begg (richard@asis.unimelb.edu.au)
Programmer ASIS/ITS - University of Melbourne

cjwein@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Chris J. Wein) (05/15/91)

In article <w=2gt.d@rpi.edu> fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) writes:

>	Hello.  I am having some problems printing a postscript file and was
>wondering if anyone could help me.
>	The problem is this: I generate a ps file in wordperfect (dos version)
>by writing to disk.  Then I upload the ps file to a unix (sparc) machine which
>has an apple laserwriter hook up to it.  I issue the print command and all I
>get is one page out of 2 or more pages.  With ps files generated by lotus
>freelance the problem is even worse as I get nothing at all.
>	Then I decided to try ami pro.  Everything came out perfect.  However,
>I would rather not import all my files to ami pro as formating is lost and for
>large documents it would be tedious to reformat them.  In addition, ami pro
>does not import equations (it has no equation editor of its own anyway).
>	I called the tech guys at wordperfect and the only answer they had
>was that there might be problems in taking a file from one platform to another
>(dos to unix).
>	Has anyone encountered problems fo this sort?  Any help is appreciated.
>	Please send answers via e-mail to fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu or post.
>	Thanks in advanced.

I use WP to produce ps for a DEC scriptwriter and have had no problems
whatsoever.  I have also used the generic ps driver and one for the QMS
printer and both have worked fine.  Perhaps the header info in your case
is bad?

 Chris Wein                           | cjwein@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 Computer Graphics Lab, CS Dept.      | cjwein@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca
 University of Waterloo               | (519) 888-4548

kennedy@annapurna.ee.umn.edu (Joel Kennedy) (05/15/91)

cjwein@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Chris J. Wein) writes:

>In article <w=2gt.d@rpi.edu> fechuny@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (felix chung yau) writes:
>>
>>	Hello.  I am having some problems printing a postscript file and was
>>wondering if anyone could help me.
>>	The problem is this: I generate a ps file in wordperfect (dos version)
>>by writing to disk.  Then I upload the ps file to a unix (sparc) machine which
>>has an apple laserwriter hook up to it.  I issue the print command and all I
I had very similar sounding problems when I first upgraded to v5.1.  After
very much frustration I found that the problem went away if I did the
file transfer in binary mode.  I suspect that the new version of
WordPerfect make postscript lines that are to long and get truncated
in the transfer.  Good luck.
Joel Kennedy
kennedy@ee.umn.edu