[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Mac Emulation Board

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (05/17/91)

In article <477@wybbs.mi.org> hcliff@wybbs.mi.org (Cliff Helsel) writes:
>Does anyone have information or experience on using the Hydra One
>board from Hydra Systems in San Jose, California?  This board is supposed
>to emulate a Macintosh SE on a PC.  The board lists for $995 plus the cost
>to acquire Mac ROMS.  This is a little too much money to spend if it won't
>do the job well.
>
>Any information will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Cliff Helsel
>hcliff@wybbs.mi.org
>or hcliff@wybbs.UUCP

It was mentioned, I believe, in this month's Computer Shopper (It could have
been PC Magaizine.  The conclusion drawn is that if you have the desk space,
then BUY A REAL MAC!  The emulator takes over the PC, so you can't get any
other work done (you can't run it in a window or in the background), it *may*
require the ROM from a real MAC!? and it only emulates a circa 1987,
monochrome MAC!

That doesn't seem like a very good deal when you consider the price of a new
Mac (classic) and the used Macs that are available....

Just my own opinion.  But I wouldn't get one!

* * * * * * * * ======================= mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu