[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] responses to request for Mac/PC backup programs

cole@unix.SRI.COM (Susan Cole) (05/17/91)

Here are the responses I received to my request about a month ago for
programs to back up Macs or PCs.  I've deleted names of the message
senders but pretty much left the relevant text intact. I  really
appreciate all the responses.   I hope I was successful in thanking
you all personally, but if not -- Thanks!

I wrote:
>We need a good backup program that will allow us to back up our Macs
>and IBM PCs to our Sun (or to a VAX running VMS) over ethernet.  Most
>of the Macs come in through Gatorboxes.  We would prefer to back up
>directly to the Sun's tape drive if possible.  We have been trying out
>Retrospect Remote, but their own rep told us not to try to go to a
>non-Mac server because it's too slow.  Does anyone know of anything
>faster?

(1)
We're doing something like this here.  I'm using a package called
"macdump", which was written by Dan Tappan (tappan@mikey.bbn.com).  It
consists of a Control Panel device (and INIT) called Dumper, which you
install on each Mac, and a suite of programs that run on Suns and other
BSD Unix systems.  The Unix programs depend upon the AppleTalk support
in the CAP package (which is free, excellent, wonderful, and
indispensable).

The Dumper INIT acts as a sort of dump-server... the Mac program
"macdump" connects to the server and asks it to start sending the
contents of a specified disk.  The "macdump" program then creates a Unix
disk file containing a hierarchical structure of data which mirrors the
Mac file system (topologically... the actual data layout is quite
different).  You end up with a single large dump-file on the Unix
machine (one dump-file per Mac disk dumped), which can be transferred
off to tape, or used as input to the "macrestore" daemon and the Mac
"Restore" application.

I've made some modifications to "macdump", so that it doesn't create a
data file on disk.  Instead, it simply journals its AppleTalk packets
out to the standard output device... typically a pipe which feeds the
"dd" program, which blocks up the packets into big chunks and writes
them to our Exabyte tape drive.  This saves _lots_ of temporary disk
space.  If we need to restore a file (or a whole Mac disk) I simply
locate the correct journal on tape, read it with "dd", and pipe the
contents into "macdump" with another option specified... this causes
macdump to read the journaled packets and create the indexed disk-dump
file.  The file can then be read by macrestore/Restore.

The backup process takes a while... running through a FastPath-4, we see
backup rates of roughly 1 megabyte/minute.  Backing up the whole network
takes most of the night, and consumes about 50% of our LocalTalk
bandwidth.

I've set up a vaguely similar arrangement for backing up our PCs, which
are networked together using a proprietary 1-megabyte LAN from Invisible
Software.  We bought a Western Digital Ethernet card, and a copy of
PC/TCP from FTP Software.  With this software, we can run the "tar"
command on a PC, tar up an entire disk (either local, or remotely
mounted via the Invisible Software net), and route the tar output to an
rmt process running on the Sun.  Once again, we use our Exabyte drive.

Re the Mac side of things... I suggest that you send a message to Dan at
the address above and ask him to send you a copy of macdump.  I'll be
glad to send you the diffs to create a version which supports tape
journalling.

(2)
I don't know whether this will help & it's only for PC to Sun backup
anyway. But.

If you have a netmounted DOS disk, perhaps on a special "backup" area of
a SUN disk, we have found using XTREE Pro on the PC to be a good & quick
method of backing up all or part of a PC Hard disk. With the latest
version, you can put a complete DOS disk structure up as one massive zip
file and then recover all or part as required. Xtree has facilities for
updating or "freshening" the zip file, thereby providing a form of
incremental back up. It's a bit of a mental exercise to define the
required procedure and select the right xtree options but it can be
done.

(3)
I'm mailing directly to you, since I don't have definite info for you. I
believe Cayman makes a program called GatorShare, if not that, another name.

(4)
 Dan Tappan at BBN wrote something called macdump. It allows you to
 schedule mac backups to the sun. It's a rather nice program in some
 respects, in that he tries to maximize the network bandwidth by
 spooling multiple macs to a disk on the sun, while backups up one
 completed spool area at a time to tape. I'm in the process of
 attempting to modify it so it won't spool (we just don't have the disk
 space available on the sun side even to spool only one mac at a time)
 to disk, but go directly from each mac to the Exabyte we have hanging
 on the Sun. If you are interested in macdump, I can send you the
 package (source, man entries, mac side support files). As far as the
 PCs go, I can't help you there, sorry.

(5)
Legato Networker is purported to backup PCs, although not MACs.
You can contact them at 415-329-7880

(6)
  Our MIS department did a detailed performance study on Mac backups to other
Macs, Vaxes and Suns. The Sun performance was the best. They used Helios
software to run AFP. We will be buying a new dual CPU 4/490 with 30 GB of disk
space to backup our 700 Macs. We tried other software on the Suns like Pacer
and others but nothing else would work.

(7)
We are currently looking at the same thing...  We are looking a UShare and GatorShare.  [address
for more info deleted in case sender doesn't want it posted.]

(8)
Hi.  This is delayed a bit because I get only the SunSpots digest.  What
I use to back-up our PCs is 'tar'; part of PC/TCP from FTP Software Inc.
It works with Unix, VMS or anything else that has rexecd or rshd, and tar.
You can backup to disk or directly to tape.  PC/TCP is a pretty complete
set of TCP/IP programs for a PC, most of which are duplicates of BSD Unix
programs, like: lpr, ftp, ftpsrv, tar, and telnet.  They also have PC/TCP
Plus, which adds an NFS client.  We have a site-license, but I think the
single-copy price is something like $300.  Unless FTP sells an equivalent
program for Macs, I know of nothing similar for those machines.  Good Luck.

(9)
We have used PC-NFS for quite a few years.  Our strategy is to just
copy the PC's entire hard disk to the Sun machine via NFS, then dump
to tape with the Unix "tar" command.  The advantage is that you can
quickly copy the stuff from the PC, then make the tape backup afterwards.

I think that Sun sells a PC-NFS add-on product that allows the PC user
to directly access Unix tape drives via the "rmt" protocol.

The MAC is a different story.  So far, we have only used FTP to transfer
files.  I just received information from The Wollongong Group about NFS
for the MAC, so the story may soon change...

(10)
Hi, I use FTP TCP/IP 2.04 from a PC (386) with a 3Com 3C503 card:

using the tar command you can backup from the PC across the network to
the Sun cartridge tape.

The command I use on the PC is:

tar cvf username@hostname:/dev/rmt8 directory1 directory2 ...

About the Mac, check if any TCP/IP vendors support tar like FTP does on PCs.

--
cole@unix.sri.com
{hplabs,amdahl,rutgers}!sri-unix!cole