[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] ms-kermit 3.10 in windows 3.0

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (05/16/91)

Having grown discontented with the available Windows comm programs,
I've been setting up ms-kermit 3.10 to run under windows 3.0 in 386Enh
mode.  This works well, even in a small window, (although the PIF
distributed with ms-kermit is for Windows 2 (!), and therefore needed
revision), except that now and then Kermit decides to drive the comm
port through BIOS, resulting in terrible performance.  I know that
Kermit does this when it finds no comm hardware of the usual type in
the right place, so win3 must sometimes be hiding the comm port from
Kermit.  Does anyone have a solution?

//richard

barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) (05/16/91)

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:

>Having grown discontented with the available Windows comm programs,
>I've been setting up ms-kermit 3.10 to run under windows 3.0 in 386Enh
>mode.  This works well, even in a small window, (although the PIF
>distributed with ms-kermit is for Windows 2 (!), and therefore needed
>revision), except that now and then Kermit decides to drive the comm
>port through BIOS, resulting in terrible performance.  I know that
>Kermit does this when it finds no comm hardware of the usual type in
>the right place, so win3 must sometimes be hiding the comm port from
>Kermit.  Does anyone have a solution?

>//richard

We occasionally use Kermit 3.1 for file transfers and have encountered
the above mentioned situation when attempting to make the initial
connection. The only "solution" if have devised entails resetting the
port:

   SET PORT 1

| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
| Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/17/91)

In article <22733@yunexus.YorkU.CA> rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:

   Having grown discontented with the available Windows comm programs,
   I've been setting up ms-kermit 3.10 to run under windows 3.0 in 386Enh
   mode.  This works well, even in a small window, (although the PIF
   distributed with ms-kermit is for Windows 2 (!), and therefore needed
   revision), except that now and then Kermit decides to drive the comm
   port through BIOS, resulting in terrible performance.  I know that
   Kermit does this when it finds no comm hardware of the usual type in
   the right place, so win3 must sometimes be hiding the comm port from
   Kermit.  Does anyone have a solution?

   //richard

One solution is to use the windows version of kermit.  Anon FTP from
watson.cc.columbia.edu in /kermit/test.  Files are called

win100.ann
win30k.boo
winaaa.doc
windoc.boo
winfon.boo
winpic.boo

Advantages:
	Seems nice.  Better than terminal, but I haven't tried other
terminal emulators.  Does seem to run in the background, but I haven't
really tested it.

Disadvantages:
	Only kermit file transfer.  No scripting.

Here is win100.ann

     WIN100.EXE, a Windows version of Kermit with VT100 and VT52
terminal emulation is available on an experimental basis from the
Kermit distribution center.  Programs are available for both
Windows 2.x and Windows 3.0 and replace the previously released
WN100K.EXE.  Except for bug fixes, the 2.x version will not
receive further enhancements.  The 3.0 version will undergo
several improvements over the next several months as time permits
including the release of all sources when legally possible.
Plans include basic server support as well as extensions of the
emulation to include VT220 and H19 as well as 8 bit character
sets.  4010/4014 support and Telapi support are also planned for
the future.  Accompanying the programs is a font file suitable
for use on VGA displays which allow for proper display of bold
characters and DEC special graphics.

Here is winaaa.doc (edited (read shortened))

			     WIN100

			 William S. Hall
		     3665 Benton Street, #66
		     Santa Clara, CA, 95051

	      Internet address: william@novell.com
			MCI Mail: wshall

     WIN100 is a vt100/vt52 terminal emulator with Kermit for
Microsoft Windows.  Although the program is still undergoing
development, the program has enough features to make it quite
usable and is being made available to the Kermit distribution
network.

     Source code is not yet available for release.  However,
eventually both source and binary files will be published.

     The files contained here replace the previously released
WN100K.EXE.

     The current distribution consists of the following files:

	1.  WIN1002.BOO - A Windows 2.x version of the program
which has also been marked to run in Windows 3.0.  Use MSBPCT
(available from the Kermit distribution center) to recover the
executable WIN100.EXE.  Run this program only if you do not yet
have Windows 3.0.  Except for bug fixes, this program will not
receive further development.

	2.  WN1003.BOO - A Windows 3.0 version of the program.
Use MSBPCT to obtain the executable WIN100.EXE.

	3.  WIN100D.BOO - Documentation in Windows Write for
WIN100.  Use MSBPCT to recover the file WIN100.WRI.  This file
was formatted for an HP LaserJet printer.  You may need to
reformat some of the tables if you use some other printer.

	4.  WN100P.BOO - A Windows Paint file which contains
the figures referenced in the documentation.  Use MSBPCT
to recover the file WIN100.MSP, which can be viewed in either
Windows Paint or PaintBrush.

	5.  WN100F.BOO - A font file for WIN100.EXE which is
suitable for VGA displays.  Use MSBPCT to recover the file
WIN100E.FON.

Windows 3.0:

Base Version 2.2, 09/24/90.

Current Version 2.4, 10/10/90.  Fixed problem in Kermit receive
which caused the program to enter an infinite loop when
decompressing files.  Added program icon.  Replaced protocol and
packets parameter selection list boxes by combo boxes.
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

jrd@cc.usu.edu (05/17/91)

In article <1--h_3g@rpi.edu>, barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) writes:
> rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>
>>Having grown discontented with the available Windows comm programs,
>>I've been setting up ms-kermit 3.10 to run under windows 3.0 in 386Enh
>>mode.  This works well, even in a small window, (although the PIF
>>distributed with ms-kermit is for Windows 2 (!), and therefore needed
>>revision), except that now and then Kermit decides to drive the comm
>>port through BIOS, resulting in terrible performance.  I know that
>>Kermit does this when it finds no comm hardware of the usual type in
>>the right place, so win3 must sometimes be hiding the comm port from
>>Kermit.  Does anyone have a solution?
>
>>//richard
>

> We occasionally use Kermit 3.1 for file transfers and have encountered
> the above mentioned situation when attempting to make the initial
> connection. The only "solution" if have devised entails resetting the
> port:
>
>    SET PORT 1
>
> --
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
> | Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
> +-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+
	Barry is correct: Windows can sometimes refuse to reveal COMn.
The Windows 3.0 .PIF material has been published on this list a couple
of times (by me) and appears again in the help file for MSK 3.10 on the
Columbia Univ archives. Please grab all the files, including the Patch
file MSR310.PCH.
	Joe D.