[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Is Northgate Solvent?

v053qgzj@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (David M Snyderman) (05/14/91)

A fried asked me who to buy his new machine (probably going to be a 286 or an
SX at most) from.  I advised him to stay away from Gateway, eve though I am very
happy with my Gateway, because I thik he will probably need more tech support
than Gateway is providing.  That said, I figured I'd advise him to go either
Northgate or Dell, because they both provide quality machies and their
reputatios for support are excellent.
My concer is for Northgate's longterm stability.  I remember reading a while back
that they were having some cash flow problems.  Is there any news on this that I
missed?  I would hate to advise him to buy a machine from them and the have the
compay go belly up.

Thanks for your help.
Dave

(Yes, I know that the 'n' on my keyboard (an old Digital terminal, *not* my
Gateway) is having problems)

sguerke@brahms.udel.edu (Stephen Guerke) (05/14/91)

In article <76324@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v053qgzj@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>My concer is for Northgate's longterm stability.  I remember reading a while back
>that they were having some cash flow problems.  Is there any news on this that I
>missed?  I would hate to advise him to buy a machine from them and the have the
>compay go belly up.

According to COMPUTERWORLD magazine May 13,1991  vol.#25 #19 page 89

Northgate has made a major turnaround and for the first quarter of
this year has reported profits of $2.24M on net sales of $46.94M.
Apparantly they have dealt with their financial problems and are well
on the road to recovery.  IMHO (based on this article) your friend
should be as safe with Northgate as with any mailorder house....read
the article.

Steve

   Stephen Guerke, Coord. Computer Resources  sguerke@brahms.udel.edu
   University of Delaware Parallel Program    stephen.guerke@mvs.udel.edu
   Georgetown, DE 19947                       ILV20078@UDELVM.UDEL.EDU

coy@ssc-vax (Stephen B Coy) (05/18/91)

In article <76324@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v053qgzj@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>A fried asked me who to buy his new machine (probably going to be a 286 or an
>SX at most) from.  I advised him to stay away from Gateway, eve though I am very
>happy with my Gateway, because I thik he will probably need more tech support
>than Gateway is providing.

If he's going to need this much hand-holding wouldn't it be better
to direct him to a local dealer?  There are several dealers local to
here that have prices in line with Gateway or Northgate.  You should
be able to find the same.  Having a local dealer to go to with
problems (or return hardware to) can make life a lot easier and the
savings in long distance charges and aggrivation will more than make
up for any difference in price.

Stephen Coy
coy@ssc-vax.UUCP

				BDIF