[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Hyperdisk + WD7000 SCSI?

kenyee@ksr.com (Ken Yee) (05/18/91)

Does anyone use Hyperdisk with an SCSI Adapter?

My configuration is:

  386sx with TI chip set
  WD7000FASST SCSI controller
  DOS 4.01, 4DOS 4.03, buffers=20
  Hyperdisk 4.21
  QEMM 5.11

When I activate Hyperdisk and look at the caching statistics, it says
that no sectors are cached and there is a 0% cache read hit.
Hyperdisk is run by typing in hyperdkx; the statistics are shown if
you run hyperdkx again.  When I activate Hyperdisk and run WD's
Testdisk program, I see equal or lower performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...otherwise, I'll have to go
back to SmartDrive..<ugh>

   Ken  (kenyee@ksr.com  or  uunet!ksr!kenyee)

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (05/18/91)

 Columbia Data Product's disk-partition software isn't very compatible.  Not
very many caching programs work with it (SmartDrive *may* not be working with
it! - I tried PC Kwik and HyperDisk and PC-TOOLS cache, none worked).

Of course, there is a simple solution (well...) You need to <groan> backup
your hard drive, low-level format it, and then high-level format/partion it
WITH DOS, *NOT* SST-Setup.  Using Dos 4.01 or the upcoming 5.0 you can
get most of the benefits of the SST-Setup program (large partions, etc).
I can't really think of any reason to use the SST-Setup program anymore...

once you do re-format, you can use HyperDisk (AND IT FLIES!), not worry about
stupid incompatibilities, and have a great all-around system.  <grin>

BTW, once you do re-format with dos, you can dump SSTDRIVE.SYS in your
config.sys file.  I recommend leaving DEVICE=SSTBIO.SYS; it doesn't seem
to really speed anything up but thats what CDP recommended to me when I came
to 'em w/ the same prob.  BTW, the newest rom rev is 3.6.2 I believe.

Again, seriously consider reformatting your drive with dos 4.01 / 5.0 (due
out soon :-).  There are many, many, many reasons for this which I don't know
offhand but wept over 3 months ago (imagine backing up 300 megs onto 3.5"
floppies...)

--
Apple II Forever |       6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu      | IBMs get the job done
Parik Rao       |      Amiga - for the creative mind     |        Class of 1994

phoenix@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Deborah J. Buurman) (05/18/91)

kenyee@ksr.com (Ken Yee) writes about using Hyperdisk & SCSI:

>Any help would be greatly appreciated...otherwise, I'll have to go
>back to SmartDrive..<ugh>

No you don't...try Super PC-Kwik from Multisoft; works fine w/
SCSI drives ...

--
Deborah Buurman
phoenix@qiclab.scn.rain.com