[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Remote access to a PC

doug@.ee.iastate.edu (Doug Jacobson) (05/18/91)

I'm looking for a software package (either PD or $$) that will allow
remote terminal access to the PC.  I would like to set up a
PC running PARADOX that would allow a remote user (only one) access
to the PARADOX program via the serial port.  This machine does not
need to provide local access at the same time.  I would also be
interested in a TCP/IP version of the same software.

Doug Jacobson
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa
doug@isuee1.ee.iastate.edu

ferdie@coyote.datalog.com (fred jarvis) (05/20/91)

doug@.ee.iastate.edu (Doug Jacobson) writes:

> I'm looking for a software package (either PD or $$) that will allow
> remote terminal access to the PC.  I would like to set up a
> PC running PARADOX that would allow a remote user (only one) access
> to the PARADOX program via the serial port.  This machine does not
> need to provide local access at the same time.  I would also be
> interested in a TCP/IP version of the same software.

    I believe PC Magazine published a utility (PCREMOTE?) a few months
ago, which might be appropriate.  I'm sorry I don't have the reference
right here.

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (05/20/91)

ferdie@coyote.datalog.com (fred jarvis) writes:

> doug@.ee.iastate.edu (Doug Jacobson) writes:

> > I'm looking for a software package (either PD or $$) that will allow
> > remote terminal access to the PC.  I would like to set up a

>     I believe PC Magazine published a utility (PCREMOTE?) a few months
> ago, which might be appropriate.  I'm sorry I don't have the reference
> right here.

While PCREMOTE is an option, it doesn't do too well with some graphics
modes.  PCAnywhere (in version IV, I believe) is a commercial product
and is quite solid, with enough features to keep the security-conscious
happy.  If you own PCTOOLS and can wait a couple of months to get the
version 7.0 upgrade, the ability to run applications remotely will be
built in (upgrade is US$49+US$6 for shipping).  PCAnywhere has been
around for a long time while the PCTOOLS implementation of remote access
has only been tested (hopefully better than some of their other stuff,
but I digress).

Other applications that do remote access quite well are Carbon Copy,
CloseUp, etc.  Pop down to a ComputerLand store and see if you can
get a demonstration.

--
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA
                           PEP, V.32, V.42