[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Never post binaries directly

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/20/91)

In article <49209@ut-emx.uucp> churchh@ut-emx.uucp (Henry Churchyard) writes:

>   The following batch files create some moderately amusing prompts on
:
>begin 644 PCPROMPT.ZIP
>M4$L#!`H````!`'Q[4Q:,UZVL4````&@````*````0T]-4%54+D)!5%"D/&D"H
:

12. *****
 Q: May just go ahead and I post binaries in non-moderated groups?

 A: I know and understand that most of who do this mean well, and
just try to contribute to the general usefulness of the news.
Nevertheless, I would strongly advise against posting binaries to
unmoderated groups.  On top of that I seem to recall that the net
rules don't like it (news.announce.newusers has more information),
let's look at this from a purely practical point of view. If netters
start posting binaries, several problems will soon occur:
    1) The traffic will explode, since it is bound to be more or
       less haphazard. This is bound to invoke action sooner or
       later from the systems along the feed and/or net
       administration.
    2) There are no guarantees against trojans and other nasties.
       (This does not mean that the other methods are absolutely
       safe, but the likelihood is smaller by far.)
    3) The probability of commercial material being posted over the
       net increases, with all the consequent repercussions.
    4) The idea is very wasteful of net resources. Remember that
       there are over 80000 readers in eg comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d.
       Much better to put/get stuff into/from the orderly moderated
       groups, or use anonymous ftp, mail servers, or good BBSes.
    5) Even should the binary posting be just a short minor one, it
       may easily snowball by invoking others.
A much better avenue is to tell where the utility is available.  Or
if it is not yet available anywhere on the net, first upload it to a
suitable ftp site, or send it to the relevant moderator of the
binary postings.
Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

canderso@isis.cs.du.edu (Chuck Anderson) (05/21/91)

> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:
>> churchh@ut-emx.uucp (Henry Churchyard) writes:

>>   The following batch files create some moderately amusing prompts on
>...[Timo discusses why posting binaries is a bad idea]...

I didn't see any binary files. These were simple, one line batch files.
They were MILDLY amusing and quite harmless. Kind of like sharing source
code.

     Chuck Anderson                uucp    :         uunet!isis!cla
     Boulder, Co. (303) 494-6278   internet:         cla@isis.cs.du.edu