[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Super VGA in an IBM XT.

user2@cgevs3.cem.msu.edu (Stephen Medlin) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May6.115535.5317@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au
(Matthew W Crowd) writes:

>Is it possible to put a Super VGA card into an XT and get all the
>video modes?
>
>I am specifically looking for 640x480x256 and 320x200x256.
>
>matt.

Matt,
	I haven't tried it myself, but I have read that you can do this.
However, I have also read (and experienced) about the limitations that the CPU
can impose on the video card.  You have to have enuf horsepower to drive the
higher resolutions.  You might not get a real performance boost like you would
hope or expect.  Hope that everything works for you :-)

SVM

ron@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Ron Van Schyndel) (05/09/91)

user2@cgevs3.cem.msu.edu (Stephen Medlin) writes:

>In article <1991May6.115535.5317@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au
>(Matthew W Crowd) writes:
>>
>>Is it possible to put a Super VGA card into an XT and get all the
>>video modes?
>>
>>I am specifically looking for 640x480x256 and 320x200x256.
>>
>>matt.

>Matt,
>	I haven't tried it myself, but I have read that you can do this.
>However, I have also read (and experienced) about the limitations that the CPU
>can impose on the video card.  You have to have enuf horsepower to drive the
>higher resolutions.  You might not get a real performance boost like you would
>hope or expect.  Hope that everything works for you :-)

>SVM

Sure I have a TSENG ET4000 card (with 1Meg) in an XT!   It'll be SLOW though

RON
--
Ron van Schyndel                      ron@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
Physics Department, Monash University ron%monu6.cc.monash.edu.au@uunet.UU.NET

orcutt@deimos.esd.sgi.com (Allen Orcutt) (05/16/91)

--
Is it actually true that the 8-bit bus slows VGA by about 1/2?  That would
imply that all pixel values written over the bus to the VGA card were

Allen A. Orcutt

cconley@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The Finn) (05/16/91)

|In comp.sys.ibm.pc buch@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Michael Bucci) writes:
|>In article <1991May6.115535.5317@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:
|>>
|>>Is it possible to put a Super VGA card into an XT and get all the
|>>video modes?
|>
|>It would be possible if you could find an 8-bit Super VGA card (good luck)!

Haven't done much looking have you?
|>>I am specifically looking for 640x480x256 and 320x200x256.
|>
|>Even if you could, 640x480 graphics would be extremely SLOW on an XT.
Not so, I have a Paradise Plus VGA card that I am running now on my
XT and it runs quite nicely, it will try to outrun the cpu b/c it has
the ability to be either 8 or 16-bit.  The max res. is 800x600x256.
It will run all VGA modes under that quite easily.

|>buch@mckinsey.com  ====>  Michael Bucci
|>                          McKinsey & Company, Inc.
|>                          Cambridge, MA

TheFinn
cconley@polyslo.calpoly.edu  | "He who sees the bright futures of life
cconley@Zeus.calpoly.edu    /   will be blinded by the darkness or the
"She did WHAT!?"           |    the reality about him."--The Finn.

leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) (05/21/91)

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:

>Is it possible to put a Super VGA card into an XT and get all the
>video modes?

>I am specifically looking for 640x480x256 and 320x200x256.

Well, I can *guarantee* 320x200x256. That's a VGA mode, and I have a VGA
card in an XT clone. I see no reason why enhanced modes wouldn't be possible.

But I can tell you from experience that they will be *incredibly* slow.
--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com