[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] What is the best word processor on IBM micros?

YXT103@psuvm.psu.edu (Tao, Yang) (05/07/91)

 What is the best wordprocessor which has best integrated scientific
mathtype capability on IBM micro computers?  The department wants
to buy a few packages for its lab. Thanks.

JPMEYERS@MTUS5.BITNET (05/08/91)

I personally LOVE WordPerfect V5.1.  It has a ton of stuff that is
very useful for engineers.  I have used both their table making tool
and their equation writing tool while preparing my very numerous lab
reports.  It is a great piece of software!

Sincerely,
Jason P. Meyers
JPMEYERS@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu

mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mike) (05/08/91)

Oh, boy, this sort of thing is just asking to open up a can of
worms.  WordPerfect has become somewhat of an industry standard,
although I myself am a fan of WordStar.  The most important thing
is probably what you learned first and foremost--that's what you're
comfortable with.

Mike Stangel
m-stangel@uiuc.edu

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (05/09/91)

From article <91127.151605JPMEYERS@MTUS5.BITNET>, by JPMEYERS@MTUS5.BITNET:
> I personally LOVE WordPerfect V5.1.  It has a ton of stuff that is
> very useful for engineers.  I have used both their table making tool
> and their equation writing tool while preparing my very numerous lab
> reports.  It is a great piece of software!

Can the original author please post a summary, or at least the
statistics of how many recommanding what.

tpirnat@wpi.WPI.EDU (Thomas Charles Pirnat) (05/19/91)

  I feel compelled to write some of my comments regarding WP5.1.  I too
agree that the equation editor and table making tool are excellent
implementations of tools that engineers need.  I have used WP5.1 for many
lab reports and papers (including my MS Thesis!).  I learned how to use
the software quickly and with little pain.
  HOWEVER, I have one very major beef.  After saving some graphics (whether
they be equations or pictures) intensive documents, WP "gets lost" and
ends up destroying your document.  During some of my editing sessions, the
only way to restore my document back to normal was to use the Norton Utilities.
I will list sone of the problems:

     1.) If an equation falls on the last line of a page, WP has problems
         possitioning the graphic.  This can be cured by using the proper
         anchor type.  However, if this document is saved, when retrieved
         this equation may cause WP to lock up at this position.  It is as
         if WP believes that the equation marks the end of your document
         when in fact many pages may follow.
     2.) Occasionally WP will insert a page break in the middle of a page
         when retrieved.  Strangely enough, the page break will occur in the
         middle of a word and WP will replace two characters in this word.
         The first character will be replaced by the page break character
         while the second character will be replaced by an x.
     3.) When the problems really get bad, somewhere in the middle of your
         document you will encounter a line that looks similiar to:
         "the quick brown fox jum@#^D @@@^HD."
         Even the reveal codes screen shows the strange characters that were
         not typed in by the writer.  Even though many pages follow this
         piece of text, you will be unable to edit or even see them.  In fact,
         after moving below the garbled text, you will be automatically
         moved to the very top of your document!  Using the Norton Utilities
         to remove (replace with spaces) the garbled text, the document will
         be fine (aside from having to retype what was just erased).  It is
         fairly obvious that WP somehow interprets the garbled text as a
         command to move to the top of the document.

   These are just a few of the problems that I have encountered.  As I have
stated, these problems occur when saving a document.  As such, backing up
your work will not solve the problem.

--
  |       o    |  Thomas Pirnat (WPI X5505 or email tpirnat @ wpi.wpi.edu)   |
  |   _  /-+_  |  Chinese Proverb: He who asks is a fool for 5 minutes, but  |

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May19.160806.24610@wpi.WPI.EDU> tpirnat@wpi.WPI.EDU (Thomas Charles Pirnat) writes:

>  I feel compelled to write some of my comments regarding WP5.1.  I too
>agree that the equation editor and table making tool are excellent
>implementations of tools that engineers need.  I have used WP5.1 for many
>lab reports and papers (including my MS Thesis!).  I learned how to use
>the software quickly and with little pain.
>  HOWEVER, I have one very major beef.  After saving some graphics (whether
>they be equations or pictures) intensive documents, WP "gets lost" and
>ends up destroying your document.  During some of my editing sessions, the
>only way to restore my document back to normal was to use the Norton Utilities.
[List of problems deleted]

I noticed most of the listed problems, and more, in the first release of WP5.1
I received. But later interrim releases (which are free if your report
problems) have fixed these.

After dealing with buggy early 5.0 releases, I thought WordPerfect Corp would
have gotten their act together on 5.1 (after all it isn't an x.0 release), but
I was wrong as the first 5.1 had very serious problems.

But they managed to fix the bugs, and now it is a reasonably robust product --
it no longer seems to corrupt files although it still occasionally has
placement problems. Considering the complexity of what it is doing, I forgive
it.

Now I'm anxiously awaiting WordPerfect for Windows, but I think I'll wait a
few months before ordering it.

--
Tom Almy
toma@sail.labs.tek.com

suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (05/21/91)

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

   Now I'm anxiously awaiting WordPerfect for Windows, but I think I'll wait a
   few months before ordering it.

Yeah, you will wait some months... A local dealer told me last week, that
WP Corp. will start shipping WP for Windows next September  B-( but that info
is from Finland; maybe your lucky ones will get your copies earlier..)

--
Timo                 "I am logged in, therefore I am"                 Suhonen
suhonen@jyu.fi suhonen@euler.jyu.fi suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi suhonen@nic.funet.fi