[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Memory Capacity

bradc@cognos.UUCP (Brad Cameron) (05/16/91)

I have a question about memory capacities of 386/486 machines.  I've
noticed that PS/2 M70/80 have a memory limit of 16MB, but the M90/95
has a capacity of 32MB.  What has IBM done to MCA to allow for this?

Is there any way to expand 386 machines to more than 16MB, not
necessarily just PS/2's, but other machines?  The ISA bus is probably
limited to 16MB (80286-based), but are there any EISA-based 386 machines
available without this limit?

Comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

--
Brad Cameron          uucp: uunet!mitel!cunews!cognos!bradc
Cognos Incorporated   inet: bradc%cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net

leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) (05/22/91)

bradc@cognos.UUCP (Brad Cameron) writes:

>Is there any way to expand 386 machines to more than 16MB, not
>necessarily just PS/2's, but other machines?  The ISA bus is probably
>limited to 16MB (80286-based), but are there any EISA-based 386 machines
>available without this limit?

*Any* EISA bus machine should be capable of this.

We've got a Compaq SystemPro with 40 meg of RAM. It's a file server,
but we ran a few tests before installing Netware.

An awful lot of software freaks when you have more than 16 meg of RAM.
We couldn't get Windows 3 to run until we installed a 24 meg RAMdisk
in config.sys...

--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.180611.19520@qiclab.scn.rain.com> leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) writes:
> bradc@cognos.UUCP (Brad Cameron) writes:
>
> >Is there any way to expand 386 machines to more than 16MB, not
> >necessarily just PS/2's,

Many 386 machines allow for > than 16MB.  They do so by means of 32-bit memory
slots.

> *Any* EISA bus machine should be capable of this.
>
> We've got a Compaq SystemPro with 40 meg of RAM. It's a file server,
> but we ran a few tests before installing Netware.
>
> An awful lot of software freaks when you have more than 16 meg of RAM.
> We couldn't get Windows 3 to run until we installed a 24 meg RAMdisk
> in config.sys...

That's interesting.  I have run > 16MB with Windows 3 (enhanced) many times.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my company or myself.

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com