[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Adapter for IBM PS/2 Keyboard-->5-pin Connector Plug

u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) (05/21/91)

   I'd like to know if there's some cable I can use so that I can connect
the plug of an IBM PS/2 keyboard to the plug-in of an Everex STEP keyboard
port, which has a 5-pin DIN-type input.  If such a cable does exist, does
anybody know if I might encounter any incompatibilities with the output
of the keyboard to my computer (i.e. are IBM PS/2 keyboards any different
from other generic/compatible keyboards?)???

-Mike
----------
Michael Wong
u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu
University of Utah

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.104008.1479@hellgate.utah.edu> u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) writes:

>   I'd like to know if there's some cable I can use so that I can connect
>the plug of an IBM PS/2 keyboard to the plug-in of an Everex STEP keyboard
>port, which has a 5-pin DIN-type input.  If such a cable does exist, does
>anybody know if I might encounter any incompatibilities with the output
>of the keyboard to my computer (i.e. are IBM PS/2 keyboards any different
>from other generic/compatible keyboards?)???

I've seen adaptors for both tasks: AT keyboard to PS/2, and PS/2 keyboard
to AT. Both work, cost about $5 at electronic suppliers.

Electrically the keyboards are the same, assuming they are "standard".
The signals that are actually used are the same; the plugs are just
wired differently.

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE: