[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DEVICE driver in higher memory?!?

swyatt@chopin.udel.edu (Stephen L Wyatt) (05/21/91)

I have a simple question(I think)--

is there anything I can use to move some of my device drivers into higher
memory to free on conventional memory?

I have a 386/33 w/ 4 megs, and am currently using all the smartdrv, himem,
memmagagers, etc that comes with windows 3.0 and some more things like
rambios speedup video access and mouse driver, etc... things I need yet
in some programs I need more memory...

any help appreciated and reply here or more preferably email...

swyatt@udel.edu  !!! no disclaimer...I blame everything I say on someone else

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (05/23/91)

>(Stephen L Wyatt)
>is there anything I can use to move some of my device drivers into higher
>memory to free on conventional memory?
>
>I have a 386/33 w/ 4 megs, and am currently using all the smartdrv, himem,
>memmagagers, etc that comes with windows 3.0 and some more things like
>rambios speedup video access and mouse driver, etc... things I need yet
>in some programs I need more memory...

QEMM from Quarterdeck or 386Max from Qualitas will do this by loading
as many of the drivers as possible into unused portions of memory
between 640KB and 1MB. I recommend QEMM mainly because they have
a program that can automatically configure your system to do this.
I did have to hand tweak the results but it was nice having the
program do most of the work.

I managed to free up about 32KB on my system. Your mileage may vary.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP NPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

barnett@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Karey Barnett) (05/23/91)

In article <17160@chopin.udel.edu> swyatt@chopin.udel.edu (Stephen L Wyatt) writes:

>I have a simple question(I think)--
>
>is there anything I can use to move some of my device drivers into higher
>memory to free on conventional memory?

Quarterdeck Office Systems, the publishers of DESQview, has a program called
QRAM that does exactly this. It also makes memory available for PC's
that have EGA or VGA graphics, but with running programs that are not
using graphics.  In June 1990, PC Resource Magazine listed an article
displaying qualities of the software.  At that time, it was offered with
another Quarterdeck program called Manifest.  Labeled the memory analyzer,
it gives you detailed information about what TSR's are present.  The
article says that this program does for memory what PC Tools does for
disks.  I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that there was another
program (not by Quarterdeck) better than QRAM.  Nevertheless, the offer
June 1990 had QRAM WITH Manifest at a cost of $79.95.  Manifest,
alone, costed $59.95.  There was no stand alone listing price for QRAM.

    In addition, Quarterdeck offered in June 1990 QEMM 50/60 v 5.0
and QEMM-386.  These were listed as expanded memory managers.  Their
price, each offered WITH Manifest 1.0, was $99.95.  QEMM 50/60 is the
for PS/2 series 50 and 60.