[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] WordPerfect use of expanded memory

luwsm@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (05/18/91)

In trying to conserve conventional memory and run WP in a maxed out PC,
I tried the /W parameter.  According to my documentation, /W=,* should
cause WP to use all free expanded memory needed and ignore WP's default
limiting factor of 75 or 80% (can't remember which it was).

But WP did used the same amount of conv. memory (360K) and did not use
more exp. memory.  Am I doing something wrong here??

Environment: PS/2 70, QEMM managing expanded memory, WP 5.1

mkallas@digi.lonestar.org (mark kallas) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May17.154459.262@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> luwsm@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:
>In trying to conserve conventional memory and run WP in a maxed out PC,
>I tried the /W parameter.  According to my documentation, /W=,* should
>cause WP to use all free expanded memory needed and ignore WP's default
>limiting factor of 75 or 80% (can't remember which it was).

I am using the /W option with Word Perfect 5.0. I don't think the /W
option changes any conventional memory usage, it only helps speed up

UUCP    : texsun!digi!mkallas       | There ain't no Coupe D'Ville hinding
Internet: mkallas@digi.lonestar.org | in the bottom of a Cracker Jack box

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (05/23/91)

In article <1991May20.102505.2708@digi.lonestar.org>, mkallas@digi.lonestar.org (mark kallas) writes:
> In article <1991May17.154459.262@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> luwsm@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:
>>In trying to conserve conventional memory and run WP in a maxed out PC,
>>I tried the /W parameter.  According to my documentation, /W=,* should
>>cause WP to use all free expanded memory needed and ignore WP's default
>>limiting factor of 75 or 80% (can't remember which it was).
>>
>>But WP did used the same amount of conv. memory (360K) and did not use
>>more exp. memory.  Am I doing something wrong here??

I don't thind WP will use more memory just for the fun of it.  Maybe you could
try the /r option (uses 300 kb of expanded memory), load two 1Mb documents,
block 500kb in one, transfer it to the second, and delete-and-retrieve (F1)
three other large blocks.  If WP then refuses to do a print preview, he will
be out of memory.  Then do a Shell to DOS and check the memory usage.

> I am using the /W option with Word Perfect 5.0. I don't think the /W
> option changes any conventional memory usage, it only helps speed up

I think you're confusing the /w and the /r swith.

Markus G. Fischer, Dept of Anthropology, Geneva CH       fisher@sc2a.unige.ch