[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] WINDOWS/386 mode....

6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Old Wolf) (05/17/91)

How can I get my Windows, V3.0 to run in 386mode?

Here's my setup:

386sx 16
5 meg ram
plenty of HD space
VGA

More info available on request.

Please, I need specific products, with versions.  I'm doing this for
my job, so please, be very specific.  Sugg. Retail would help as well.

Ken Mencher
Computer Consultant,
Yes Clothing Co.
Los Angeles, CA

In article <11306@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Old Wolf) writes:

>How can I get my Windows, V3.0 to run in 386mode?

>Here's my setup:

>386sx 16
>5 meg ram
>plenty of HD space
>VGA

>More info available on request.

>Please, I need specific products, with versions.  I'm doing this for
>my job, so please, be very specific.  Sugg. Retail would help as well.

>Ken Mencher
>Computer Consultant,
>Yes Clothing Co.
>Los Angeles, CA

Here's a follow-up.  People keep writing me and saying it should work.  Well,
it doesn't.  Here's what happens.

I type "win", and I get the Windows title screen.  About 4 or 5 seconds later,
I get my dos prompt back, but this time, the system is locked up.

Here's my config.sys

files= 40
BREAK=ON
device=C:\himem.sys
BUFFERS=40
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM /P /E:256
DEVICE=C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS

Now, here's my autoexec.bat  (at least, the command lines....

@echo off
rem    WINDOWS  BATCH   FILE
c:\mouse\mouse501.com
set comspec=c:\dos\command.com
SET SOUND=C:\SB
path D:\WINDOWS;C:\;c:\dos;c:\pctools;c:\utils;c:\virus;c:\batch\;
prompt $e[1;31m$p $g $e[36m
c:\utils\visitype
set TEMP=D:\WINDOWS\TEMP

That should help you.....(I hope)  Please, will someone tell me why it won't
work.......

(mouse501.com is my mouse driver  (Logitech driver version 5.01))

Any ideas?  I'm desperate.  (My job's on the line....)

jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) (05/18/91)

In article <11339@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Old Wolf) writes:
>In article <11306@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Old Wolf) writes:
>
>>How can I get my Windows, V3.0 to run in 386mode?
>
>>Here's my setup:
>
>>386sx 16
>>5 meg ram
>>plenty of HD space
>>VGA
>
>Here's a follow-up.  People keep writing me and saying it should work.  Well,
>it doesn't.  Here's what happens.
>
>I type "win", and I get the Windows title screen.  About 4 or 5 seconds later,
>I get my dos prompt back, but this time, the system is locked up.
>
>(mouse501.com is my mouse driver  (Logitech driver version 5.01))
>
>Any ideas?  I'm desperate.  (My job's on the line....)

I missed the original posting...
Anyways, I recently seen a similar problem, but only stanger.
Windows *was* working, and then it was reinstalled because of a
printer change, and stopped working.  I think a logitech driver
(not sure of the version) was added in between.  The system doesn't
lock up, but does return to dos after the title screen.  Maybe it's
related to the logitch mouse?

One way for Microsoft to increase Microsoft mouse sales?  ;-)

ballerup@diku.dk (Per Goetterup) (05/21/91)

jal@acc.flint.umich.edu (John Lauro) writes:

=>In article <11339@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Old Wolf) writes:
=>>In article <11306@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Old Wolf) writes:
=>>
[...]

Hmmm.... Dunno about the relation to mouse drivers... :-) but I've had, and
still has to some extent, a similar problem.

I had Win3 running just fine in 386 mode with HIMEM as the EMS-driver.
But then I got QEMM 5.11 and my problems began...

As the QEMM's docs suggest, I removed HIMEM.SYS from my CONFIG.SYS and let
QEMM take care of the EMS...

This work fine everywhere but with Win3's 386 mode!

When I fire Win3 up, I get as far as the blue intro-screen where I get
bumped back out to the DOS prompt, still in the graphics mode in which the
logo was shown - the screen wasn't blanked nor did any messages appear.

I tried to free more memory (I've got 4 megs) and now I got a little bit
further - at first glance all the way, but when I try to fire up anything
DOS-related (a DOS prompt or a DOS application), I promptly get thrown back
out into DOS with a 'paging error' message and the machine locks up
completely!

Windows applications seem to run fine, even several at the same time
(multitasked)...?

	What happens here? - Do I need to free even more memory?

	Suggestions anyone?

Misc. data:

	IBM PS/2 model 80-111 (20 MHz 386)
	4 Mbyte RAM
	Qemm 5.11
	Win 3.0

	Running with: 1.45 Mbyte RAM disk
	              1 Mbyte disk cache (tried several diff.)

	Thanx in advance!

		Per.

--
| Per Gotterup                        | "The most merciful thing in the    |
| Student, DIKU (Dept. of Comp. Sci.) | world, I think, is the inability   |

phoenix@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Deborah J. Buurman) (05/22/91)

>=>>>How can I get my Windows, V3.0 to run in 386mode?
>=>>I type "win", and I get the Windows title screen.  About 4 or 5 seconds later,
>=>>I get my dos prompt back, but this time, the system is locked up.
>=>Anyways, I recently seen a similar problem, but only stanger.
>=>Windows *was* working, and then it was reinstalled because of a
>=>printer change, and stopped working.  I think a logitech driver
>=>(not sure of the version) was added in between.  The system doesn't
>=>lock up, but does return to dos after the title screen.  Maybe it's
>=>related to the logitch mouse?

Here is something for both of you to check...what kind of memory are you using, expanded or extended?  Windows in 386 mode requires EXTENDED memory.  Depending on how you memory mgr is configured, you may only have XMS or expanded avail.
One symptom is that the system locks or you bounce back to the dos prompt.

Also you sometimes have to start windows with WIN/3 to explicitly get enhanced
mode.

--
Deborah Buurman
phoenix@qiclab.scn.rain.com

tankus@hsi86.hsi.com (Ed Tankus) (05/23/91)

If you're running DOS 4.0 or better (dunno 'bout 3.3), remove or rem
the FASTOPEN statement in config.sys.  I had the same problem until I
did this.

--

"For every word, there is a song upon which inspiration lies ...".
Ed Tankus.   {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com