[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Help choosing C Compiler for specific use

knudsen@cbnewsd.att.com (michael.j.knudsen) (05/23/91)

I'd like some advice on choosing between the many C compilers
available for MSDOS systems.  Before we get into good old religious
flame wars, let me say something about what I want it for:

I'm porting a large C program, which I've already written and debugged,
from a 68000 and a 6809 system (running OS-9).
There are about two dozen source.c files and a dozen header.h files,
plus a makefile.  The 68000 executable is over 100K.
This program is totally graphics oriented, with its own windows,
and uses both the mouse and the keyboard, plus some extra hardware,
so I need good libraries for that sort of stuff.

I can't use any "toy" C systems (Quick C?) or need any tutorials.
Do I need Microsoft C, or can Borland's Turbo C handle this?
What other brands should I consider?

I don't expect to write a lot of code from scratch, but will have
to do some heavy editing in the system-dependent areas.

Also I've learned the hard way that "ports" dont' just come up and run
the first time, so I don't mind paying for fancy debugging tools
a la Turbo, *if* they can be run alongside my own grafix.
Also I can never remember what .c file some function is in, so good
browsing tools would be nice.  I have a good Emacs editor so I
don't care about the built-in editor, tho I hear that Turbo forces
you to use their Wordstar-like editor (I could live with that).

With Turbo C++ under $100 (?), it's tempting, but should I pay
extra for Microsoft C?  If I go Turbo, should I shell out extra for
their "Professional" version?

It must run on a Compaq II '286 with 640K and a 20 Meg HD
(or should I look for another computer, sheesh!?!)

All followups or email replies appreciated.  Thanks, mike k
--
"What America needs is A Thousand Points When Lit..."

	knudsen@iceland.att.com

ian@rathe.cs.umn.edu (Ian Hogg) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.204633.1711@cbnewsd.att.com> knudsen@cbnewsd.att.com (michael.j.knudsen) writes:
>Thanks for the many replies so far about choosing a C compiler.
>
>Borland seems to off the following:
>
>Turbo C -- outdated, hard to find anymore, command-line only
>Turbo C++ -- C++, window interface, still keyboard only, no mouse routines
  I picked up some mouse routines for Turbo C that I use for TC++ with no
  problem.  I'm not sure exactly what you mean by keyboard only though.  I use
  a mouse in IDE.

>Turbo C++ Professional -- does Windows, mouse support, great debugger

   This is obsolete and it doesn't do windows.

>Borland C++ 2.0 -- even more and better (?) see below.

  This a the successor to TC++ Professional.  It provides window support mostly
for your applications.  The IDE is not windows based.  I won't say more until
after I pick BC++ today.

>From the last posting (not quoted), I get the idea that the last
>two items are really the same, ie, "Professional" implies "not Turbo"
>so it's just called "Borland."  Is that right?  Better to look
>stupid here than in the store (?)
>
>Also Professional is going to cost close to $300 (well, that's
>still less than I paid for the used Compaq 286 :-)
>Wonder if I can even find it at Babbage or Egghead -- they seem to
>have lots of Turbo C++ around.

  Stay clear of Egghead.  They are selling TC++ (Not BC++) for about $170
here in Mpls, Software Etc it is around $85-90.

>Is there an upgrade option from Turbo C++ to Professional?

  Wrong newsgroup for this but here I go anyways.  Borland has in my opinion
incredible discounts for students.  At the Univ of Minn, TC++ is $50 and
BC++ is $99.  I got TC++ for Christmas and am buying BC++ today.  I bought
TC++ retail for $99.  Since the TC++ to BC++ upgrade is the same price as
purchasing BC++ outright I'm doing that.  What does this mean?  I'll sell
my TC++ to anyone for $40 (you pay shipping and handling).  I did send in
the registration card.  Assuming that it isn't transferable, when I get my
upgrade notice I will send it in for you.  That means you will be able to
buy BC++ for $140.  If the registration is transferable, I will do so.

--
Ian Hogg                        email:  rathe!ian@cs.umn.edu
                                        ...!umn-cs!rathe!ian