[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Graphing S/W info WANTED

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (05/20/91)

I am looking for some MSDOS software that will allow me to do
graphing where the points on the X axis are dynamic.  What I mean
is, if I graph events with most software (Lotus 123 for example)
the usual way to represent events is to have fixed time intervals
(say "Quarterly Earnings") along the x axis.   What I need to
do is take samples of quantities at different times, and have
them plotted so that the points on the x axis are proportionally
spaced.  This is for my diabetes management.  I have a glucometer
for measuring blood glucose.  During the day I might measure
glucose at 7:14am, 10:55am, 12:01pm, 3:18pm and 8:00pm.  If
I measured it always on the hour, my search for software would
be easier....I could just use Lotus, and create hourly cells.

So ideally I could enter all of these times and glucose levels,
and then define the limits of the X axis however I wanted (1 day,
3 weeks, 2 years....) and then have each test proportionally
spaced according to time.  It would also be nice to graph
moving averages.

Anyone know how to do this?  Know of any shareware programs
for this?  Someone told me that MS Excel could do this, but
I don't want to spend several hundred dollars.

Please email me any advice at tad@ssc.UUCP or 3288544@mcimail.com

Thank you!  I hope this will help me manage my diabetes better.

Tad Cook
Seattle, WA
Packet: KT7H @ N7ENT.#WWA.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544
Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad
or, tad@ssc.UUCP

bobe@tvnews.tv.tek.com (Bob Elkind) (05/24/91)

Excel will do what you want if you select the "scatter plot" chart type.
I would hope that Lotus 1-2-3 would have a similar chart type; but if it
doesn't, and you don't want to spend hundreds of dolloars on upgrading to
Excel, why not upgrade to Borland Quattro Pro for $99 or $139 ?

Check it out!

sciamanda@edinboro.edu (05/24/91)

In article <943@ssc.UUCP>, tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:
> I am looking for some MSDOS software that will allow me to do
> graphing where the points on the X axis are dynamic.  What I mean
> is, if I graph events with most software (Lotus 123 for example)
> the usual way to represent events is to have fixed time intervals
> (say "Quarterly Earnings") along the x axis.   What I need to
> do is take samples of quantities at different times, and have
> them plotted so that the points on the x axis are proportionally
> spaced.  This is for my diabetes management.  I have a glucometer
> for measuring blood glucose.  During the day I might measure
> glucose at 7:14am, 10:55am, 12:01pm, 3:18pm and 8:00pm.  If
> I measured it always on the hour, my search for software would
> be easier....I could just use Lotus, and create hourly cells.
>
> So ideally I could enter all of these times and glucose levels,
> and then define the limits of the X axis however I wanted (1 day,
> 3 weeks, 2 years....) and then have each test proportionally
> spaced according to time.  It would also be nice to graph
> moving averages.
>
> Anyone know how to do this?  Know of any shareware programs
> for this?  Someone told me that MS Excel could do this, but
> I don't want to spend several hundred dollars.
>
> Please email me any advice at tad@ssc.UUCP or 3288544@mcimail.com
>
> Thank you!  I hope this will help me manage my diabetes better.
>

> Tad Cook
> Seattle, WA
> Packet: KT7H @ N7ENT.#WWA.WA.USA.NA
> Phone: 206/527-4089
> MCI Mail: 3288544
> Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
> USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad
> or, tad@ssc.UUCP

You can do this with Lotus!

Just choose the XY graph option!