[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] XT's and big hard drives -- PROBLEM

larsen@CAS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) (05/15/91)

I have an XT that I have a 40 meg hard disk in.  I am currently running
ONTRACK'S Disk Manager to partition it off.  THis is under MS-DOS 3.2

However, under 4.01 (The OS I would LIKE to use) disk manager causes
the machine to crash.

How can I use disk manager under 4.01 or use something else to get
my machine to recognize a 40 meg hard disk?

Thanks!

Scott Larsen
larsen@darkstar.cas.orst.edu             UUCP: hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!larsen
"If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average."
		- M.H. Alderson

leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) (05/22/91)

larsen@CAS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) writes:

<I have an XT that I have a 40 meg hard disk in.  I am currently running
<ONTRACK'S Disk Manager to partition it off.  THis is under MS-DOS 3.2

<However, under 4.01 (The OS I would LIKE to use) disk manager causes
<the machine to crash.

<How can I use disk manager under 4.01 or use something else to get
<my machine to recognize a 40 meg hard disk?

You only need a special driver for big drives on versions of DOS prior
to 3.31. 3.31 and 4.xx support large partitions.

That's the good news. The bad news is that you are going to have to
backup all the files on your HD. Then you are either going to have
to use Disk Manager to remove the current partitions, or you are going
to have to low-level format the drive. Then boot off a 4.01 disk, run FDISK,
(to create the new 40 meg partition), and then format the drive.
--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May15.072231.11848@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> larsen@CAS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) writes:
>I have an XT that I have a 40 meg hard disk in.  I am currently running
>ONTRACK'S Disk Manager to partition it off.  THis is under MS-DOS 3.2
>
>However, under 4.01 (The OS I would LIKE to use) disk manager causes
>the machine to crash.
>
>How can I use disk manager under 4.01 or use something else to get
>my machine to recognize a 40 meg hard disk?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Scott Larsen
>larsen@darkstar.cas.orst.edu             UUCP: hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!larsen
>"If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average."
>		- M.H. Alderson

If you haven't already heard, DOS 4.01 *does* handle >32meg hard disks...
you just need to use their utility program "share" (or the PD "noshare")
as a TSR (I think) when you boot the system. I have a similar setup...an
IBM-XT (yup...a true blue...:-) with two 65meg hard disks running DOS 4.01.
I've been using this setup for almost a year now with no problems...
Try to avoid using a disk manager to access > 32meg drives...basically what
I did was low level format both drives using the low level formatter provided
with the controller, and then used PC-DOS's FDISK to partition the disks
(all 65 megs in one partition). After that I did a normal format of the disk
and have been running ever since (this is the standard method given in the
DOS manual for installing a new disk...)

John

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt@gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt@cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (05/22/91)

In <@qiclab.scn.rain.com> leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson)
>larsen@CAS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) writes:
><I have an XT that I have a 40 meg hard disk in.  I am currently running
><ONTRACK'S Disk Manager to partition it off.  THis is under MS-DOS 3.2
><However, under 4.01 () disk manager cause the machine to crash.

>The bad news is that you are going to have to backup all the files....
>to use Disk Manager to remove the current partitions, or you are going
>to have to low-level format the drive. Then boot off a 4.01 disk, run FDISK,
>(to create the new 40 meg partition), and then format the drive.

   You don't HAVE to backup all the files, but that;s the easiest way, or
lose them.  You don't have to under almost all conditions remove the partitions
just low level format the drive and start over again.
   You can, try to, just remove the second partition, &/or/or-not make the
root partition the full size all under 3.3 or whatever.  THEN boot dos 4
and start over again with fdisk.  I suspect that removing both partitions
then using dos 4 fdisk is all that;s required, but either way, all files
will be lost.  Format the drive again, and....  If you only remove the second
partition, there is other software like spinwrite that should allow you to
'reformat and correct' the drive to a single 40 MB parition under dos 4.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (05/25/91)

leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) writes:

>larsen@CAS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) writes:

><I have an XT that I have a 40 meg hard disk in.  I am currently running
><ONTRACK'S Disk Manager to partition it off.  THis is under MS-DOS 3.2
><However, under 4.01 (The OS I would LIKE to use) disk manager causes
><the machine to crash.
><How can I use disk manager under 4.01 or use something else to get
><my machine to recognize a 40 meg hard disk?

>You only need a special driver for big drives on versions of DOS prior
>to 3.31. 3.31 and 4.xx support large partitions.

One further complication arises from using computers/controllers with
an ancient bios.  Old XT class machines just don't know how to deal
with a 40M hard drive.  Even if you use a DOS > 3.3 you will not be
able to use the full capacity.  You will pretty much need to use
a software driver like Disk Manager and even then you will need to
do odd manuevers like having a miniscule boot partition (~1M) and
then allocating the rest to an extended partition.  By the way,
Disk Manager should not object to 4.01 unless you are using a very
obsolete version.

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato