[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Soundblaster Info Needed

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul19.191538.10451@IRO.UMontreal.CA>, fasciano@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Massimo Fasciano) writes:
> First of all, does anybody know an approximate price for the
> card in Canada (in a a store, not mail order)?

I paid $199 for it from a consultant friend of mine. While some mail
order houses are a couple of bucks cheaper, if I have a problem, it
gets solved very easily.

> Is it worth the extra money or should I get the Adlib? What
> does it do that the Adlib doesn't, and most of all, which
> additional features are supported in games (how many games?)...
> Is it 100% Adlib compatible (all the channels)?

The board is 100% Adlib compatible. However, the only program (so
far) that I've tried was Taito's Sky Shark, and that sounded like a
casio keyboard. It is also Game Blaster and CMS Sound Board
compatible.

> Is it easy to install? I've been told it requires an IRQ line.
> Which one? I suppose the IRQ number is jumper-selectable. What
> lines can I use (3,4,5,7). 3,4,7 are already taken up by my serial
> and parallel ports so I hope it can use 5 (or some other IRQ line
> i'm not aware of).

You have 4 IRQ lines to choose from. Three of them are IRQ3, IRW5,
and IRQ7, but all of them are jumper selectable.

Also, there are several different hex addresses for the card. Best
to leave it at 220H.

> I've also heard of a game port (option?). I already have a double game
> port so I don't want to pay for another, and I don't want a conflict
> between the 2. Can the one on the SB be disabled?

The game port can support two joysticks, and can be easily disabled
by removing the jumper without affecting MIDI compatibility.

> Does it come with good software and programming info?

It comes with a diagnostics utility, a music program, a "talking
parrot", and something called "Voxkit", which you can use to record
sound with. However, the included software generally disappointed
me.

I have used the Sound Blaster for about a week now, and am very
satified with the operation. For about $70 more, you get a joystick
port and more sound board compatibility. That's value.
--
   "You will not feed the       /\   UUCP Bullet Path:
   flying pests outside!"     _/\/\_ ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac! \

u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) (05/26/91)

   I'm interested in getting a Soundblaster card, but I first want to
know if it allows you to adjust the volume output.  If it does, I'll
be planning on some descent speakers for the output; otherwise, I'll have
to find some amplified speakers with a volume switch.

   Also, how does it allow me to wire the speakers?  Do I need to get a
cable that has on one end RCA jacks and the other end the correct positive
and negative wires?  I'd appreciate any info on the Soundblaster...

-Mike
----------
Michael Wong
u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu
University of Utah

6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Lone Wolf) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May25.173755.12515@hellgate.utah.edu> u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) writes:

>   I'm interested in getting a Soundblaster card, but I first want to
>know if it allows you to adjust the volume output.  If it does, I'll
>be planning on some descent speakers for the output; otherwise, I'll have
>to find some amplified speakers with a volume switch.

SoundBlaster comes with a 4amp amplifier.  On the card is a volume control,
so you don't need all that stuff.

>   Also, how does it allow me to wire the speakers?  Do I need to get a
>cable that has on one end RCA jacks and the other end the correct positive
>and negative wires?  I'd appreciate any info on the Soundblaster...

The SB card is ready to go.  You can just plug it in and go.  It comes with
a cable to hook it up to your stereo if you want.  It's got an RCA jack,
a mike jack, an amp, and a joystick port.

>-Mike
>----------
>Michael Wong
>u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu
>University of Utah

"I prefer them and us.  It gets rid of excess baggage and lets you
get right down to cases."

Wolf
6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Internet)
6600arac@ucsbuxa.bitnet   (Bitnet)

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (05/26/91)

6600arac@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Lone Wolf) writes:

>In article <1991May25.173755.12515@hellgate.utah.edu> u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) writes:
[stuff here]
>>   Also, how does it allow me to wire the speakers?  Do I need to get a
>>cable that has on one end RCA jacks and the other end the correct positive
>>and negative wires?  I'd appreciate any info on the Soundblaster...

>The SB card is ready to go.  You can just plug it in and go.  It comes with
>a cable to hook it up to your stereo if you want.  It's got an RCA jack,
>a mike jack, an amp, and a joystick port.

Actually, mayber the answer you were really looking for is:
1/8 inch stereo jack.

4 year olds of all ages with the ability to use a soldering iron could
make most speakers connect correctly:)

OK, I kinda feel like a butthead asking this, but oh well;
Can i just have a tiny little hint on the kind of data i need to send
to port 220 to get the damn thing to play 8-bit data stream sound?

Also, I little more info on the format of the .voc header? I figured out
a tiny bit of it, but not really enough to be useful.

And, (and this will be all, i promise:) a taste of the mechanics of sampling
with the SB?

If you think i'm being cheap by not buying the damn SDK and posting questions
that can only be answered by people who've actually shelled out the cash, fine
flame away.

Nye

nyet@cobalt.caltech.edu