[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Out out junk file!

hayward@husc3.harvard.edu (05/27/91)

Well hey my buddy has a small problem. Which is that he has an invisible
(hidden) file which is junk and is takeing up hard disk space and he can't
remove the bugger. It is a trek.sco file created by a trek game it refuses to
go away and will not show up in the directory, but it will [type trek.sco]
display file. How does my friend solve this annoying problem i can't help him
as I'm a Macintosh user myself (well yes a mac. would solve the problem but not
everyone is that enlightened yet). Sorry had to put that in. Really could use
any help offered thanks.

					Thatcher V.Hayward

"There aint' no truth in action
less you believe it anyway"
		T.A.

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (05/27/91)

hayward@husc3.harvard.edu writes:

> Well hey my buddy has a small problem. Which is that he has an invisible
> (hidden) file which is junk and is takeing up hard disk space and he can't
> remove the bugger.

I can think of 2 ways...

1.  Use 'ATTRIB -H FILENAME' to clear the hidden bit, and delete
    normally.

2.  Use LIST.COM, and delete the file from the file-selection menu.  (in
case you hadn't noticed, LIST shows all the files in a directory, and
will cheerfully delete them, hidden or not. it won't delete a read-only
file, though)

Of course, if the file _is_ read-only, use 'ATTRIB -R FILENAME' to clear
the read-only bit.

--
Roy M. Silvernail --  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu - OR-  cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu
  perl -e '$x = 1/20; print "Just my \$$x! (adjusted for inflation)\n"'