[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] DeskJet or Laser Printer

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (05/15/91)

What printers give the best quality output at the most reasonable price?

Should I get an ink jet or a laser?
It seems that drivers may not be available for the newer printers to go with
older software.  And, if I go with a laser, will I have to make expensive
upgrades?  This is for a home, and shouldn't be tremendous or noisier than a
dot matrix.

What is a good, cheap laser printer, anyway, which I should be able to get
drivers for for some time?

 * * * * * * *  ======================= Meir Green
* * * * * * * * ======================= mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * *  ======================= N2JPG

ksteele@epas.toronto.edu (Ken Steele) (05/20/91)

There is no question that Laser printers offer superior print
resolution, on less expensive paper stock.  The printers themselves,
however, are generally twice the price of the new HP DeskJet 500
(taking student discounts into account) and replacement cartridges are
considerably more than the $19 for a DeskJet cartridge.

So I believe that there is also no question that "the best printer FOR
THE MONEY" is an inkjet.  The DeskJet 500 is about a third the size of
a laser, draws CONSIDERABLY less electricity, and offers much more
trouble-free operation.

And just the other day, I was reading an article on magnetic fields and
possible connections to cancer.  Now, granted, this whole subject is a
little controversial, and I'm no expert, but the figures are quite
astounding for laser printers and electric shavers, not to mention
colour monitors.  The conclusion: laser printers are not appropriate
to the home environment.  (I know, I know, many will disagree).

I've found the DeskJet produces some remarkable output, with the right
software, and I have only wished for a laser when preparing
camera-ready copy for offset printing.  (The DeskJet/PageMaker output
looks just great in photocopies, but in offset printing the resolution
seems to be a problem).  Of course, if I owned a Laser printer, I'd want
a full-fledged linotronic typesetter when it came to offset printing, anyway...

As I've said before, the DeskJet 500's output, with Lazer paper and
using Windows 3.0 and Adobe Type Manager, is truly astounding.  You'd
have to see it to believe it wasn't laser...

						Ken Steele
						University of Toronto

[This space intentionally left blank.]

dahosek@biivax.dp.beckman.com (05/24/91)

In article <1991May20.131241.13043@epas.toronto.edu>, ksteele@epas.toronto.edu (Ken Steele) writes:
> I've found the DeskJet produces some remarkable output, with the right
> software, and I have only wished for a laser when preparing
> camera-ready copy for offset printing.  (The DeskJet/PageMaker output
> looks just great in photocopies, but in offset printing the resolution
> seems to be a problem).  Of course, if I owned a Laser printer, I'd want
> a full-fledged linotronic typesetter when it came to offset printing, anyway...

Actually, 300dpi output in general looks very bad when offset
print. I don't work with that end of the printing business
directly, so I only have the vaguest notion of the reasons for
this (problems with the dot coding in the offset process, I
believe). Anyone thinking about offset printing something should
seriously consider paying the few hundred dollars it would cost
to typeset their book instead of just laser printing it.

-dh

--
Don Hosek // Quixote Digital Typography   714-625-0147
     dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu

mheyda@heyda.austin.ibm.com (Michael Heyda) (05/24/91)

> There is no question that Laser printers offer superior print
> resolution, on less expensive paper stock.  The printers themselves,
> however, are generally twice the price of the new HP DeskJet 500
> (taking student discounts into account) and replacement cartridges are
> considerably more than the $19 for a DeskJet cartridge.

It is true that the cartridge cost considerably less.  However, a study
was done and it was found that it cost about 4 cents/page to print on an
inkjet printer and only about 2-3 cents/page to print on a laser printer.
This was of course before the $5 refils for inkjets were offered (hey... now
I can get several different color ink cartridges and do some color
separations....)
						Mike Heyda

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/25/91)

Now most electronics houses in New York are offering the HP deskwriter
for $499.  I bought mine this week from 47Th Street Photo ($524
including shipping).  It is WONDERFUL.  It is much faster than any
macintosh printer I have ever used (well, I have a Mac II).  The
quality is very good, especially on Xerocopy 4024 paper.  The print
driver acts like a laserprinter!  25-400% magnification is available,
just like the laserwriter driver!  They even substitute some 300dpi
patterns for a few of the 72dpi grey patterns stored in the system
file (but not for the pie, or the diagonal line patterns,
unfortunately).  Not even the laserwriter driver does this!

My only regret is that color quickdraw doesn't produce grey patterns
when in b/w mode for mathematica 3-D plots.  I'm thinking about trying
to write a patch to quickdraw to do this: polygon fills really should
try to produce greys on the mac screen.  If quickdraw would only do
this, users could have all the features of the system 6.1 printing
tools with only a deskwriter.

Thanks, apple for the stylewriter.  It caused HP to reduce the price
of its deskwriter, and will make thousands of new HP customers very
happy.

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL

--

sammy@cbnewsd.att.com (Sammy) (05/25/91)

In article <7940@awdprime.UUCP> mheyda@heyda.austin.ibm.com (Michael Heyda) writes:

>> (taking student discounts into account) and replacement cartridges are
>> considerably more than the $19 for a DeskJet cartridge.
>>
>It is true that the cartridge cost considerably less.  However, a study
>was done and it was found that it cost about 4 cents/page to print on an
>inkjet printer and only about 2-3 cents/page to print on a laser printer.
>This was of course before the $5 refils for inkjets were offered (hey... now
>I can get several different color ink cartridges and do some color
>separations....)
>						Mike Heyda

$5 refills for inkjets? Where? Is this offered by HP, or some other company?
Have you used them? How do they work? Will they work in my DeskJet?

Inquiring minds ... etc.

--
Sammy=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The enemy of women...is not men, just as the enemy of blacks is not whites.

dbullis@cognos.UUCP (Dave Bullis) (05/27/91)

Does anyone have numbers on per-page operating costs for various printers.
In particular cartridge/toner lifetimes and costs?
Any there other things in a laser printer that need replacing from time to
time?

For example (gross estimates: better numbers welcome):

                 DeskJet       HP IIP      IBM 4019e

cartridge
cost                 $18          $80          $180
lifetime(pages)      250        3,500        15,000

(assuming ordinary paper will do:)
paper               $.01         $.01          $.01

per-page            $.082        $.033         $.022

Any number for the Cannon Bubblejets?
--
Dave Bullis        Cognos, Inc     VOICE: (613) 738-1440 FAX: (613) 738-0002
3755 Riverside Dr. P.O. Box 9707    WORK: uunet!mitel!cunews!cognos!dbullis

lsh@polari.UUCP (Lee Hauser) (05/28/91)

In article <9679@cognos.UUCP> dbullis@cognos.UUCP (Dave Bullis) writes:

>Does anyone have numbers on per-page operating costs for various printers.
>In particular cartridge/toner lifetimes and costs?
>
>                 DeskJet       HP IIP      IBM 4019e
>
>cartridge
>cost                 $18          $80          $180
>lifetime(pages)      250        3,500        15,000

Hmm, my DeskJet experience is
somewhat different than your estimates.  My DeskJet+ gives me well
over 500 sheets (closer to 1000) when 75% or more of my pages are
printed in draft mode (it is SILLY to print drafts in non-draft mode;
it uses less ink and is twice as fast).  The cost per cartridge is about right.
I think your IBM estimates are right, or at least go along with IBM's
own estimates.  I'm not sure about the IIP yet, but I'll be getting a
lot more experience over the next few months...

--
                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh@polari